FREE AGENCY WINNERS, LOSERS

bengaldee

Now that the first wave of free agency has thrown millions of new money into the pockets of plenty of players, let's take a time out and look at the biggest winners and biggest losers after five full days of activity.

First, the winners:

1. Antwaan Randle El: 35 catches in 2005. $11.5 million in bonus money in 2006. Should anyone be surprised when T.O. wants $18 million to sign?

2. Arizona Cardinals: Finally, the Bidwills realize that sometimes you've gotta spend money to make money.

3. Edgerrin James: He learned everything he knows about grabbing the most coin from Peyton Manning.

4. Miami Dolphins: Daunte Culpepper for a second-round pick? In 17 states, that constitutes rape.

5. Adam Archuleta: No offense intended, but if this guy can get $10 million in guaranteed coin, we've still got a chance to catch on somewhere for the league minimum.

6. Cleveland Browns: With John Collins counting beans somewhere other than in the team's front office, Phil Savage finally can put his imprint on the frnachise.

7. Uncle Sam: Perhaps the biggest winner in this process, the Internal Revenue Service scored millions in tax dollars after the CBA extension pushed the salary cap above nine figures.

8. Drew Brees: Though his contract is only a one-year arrangement, $10 million for a guy with a bad shoulder and a mixed track record ain't too shabby.

9. Jon Kitna: The former Bengals starter who was bumped out of a job by the No. 1 overall pick in 2003 gets a chance to start again after bumping out the No. 3 overall pick in 2002.

10: Steve Hutchinson: An interior offensive lineman gets a $49 million contract? What's next? $45 million for a kicker?

Now for the losers:

1. Indianapolis Colts: Edgerrin James, Larry Tripplett, and David Thornton are gone for good. Do you think Bill Polian might be having second thoughts about his decision to tie up so much money in his second and third receivers?

2. The Postons: They overpriced their clients who were hitting the market, and as a result none of them got a sniff when the money was flowing like liquid from an elephant with IBS. To add insult to ignorance, Carl is now facing a two-year unpaid vacation.

3. Washington Redskins: We suggest that Dan Snyder satisfy his insatiable hunger for collecting NFL players at an unjustifiable premium by searching for McFarlane figures on eBay.

4. Jamal Lewis: The guy who pouted for a couple of years regarding the lack of a long-term, blockbuster deal stays in Baltimore for what amounts to a one-year, $6 million contract.

5. Oakland Raiders: To address the various holes in its roster, the Raiders have done . . . absolutely freakin' nothing.

6. Kris Jenkins: With Damione Lewis and Maake Kemoeatu added to the rotation at defensive tackle, Jenkins' days as a Panther could be numbered.

7. Green Bay Packers: All that cap space, and no significant additions. To make matters worse, Lord Favre is now trying to play G.M.

8. Eric Moulds: By sitting on his rights when everyone knows they'll eventually cut him, the Bills blocked Moulds' shot at getting one last solid payday.

9. New York Giants: First they let Kendrick Clancy slip away. Then they sign every washed up defensive back that's on the market.

10. Jon Runyan: The guy decides to take a vacation to the Caymans at a time when NFL teams are working overtime to give money away. Who's he getting advice from, Ross Verba?

Guest bengalrick

[i]4. Miami Dolphins: Daunte Culpepper for a second-round pick? In 17 states, that constitutes rape.[/i]

yeah, i think the dolphins got raped too... :badger:

unless moss plays in miami in 2007, dante will have another miserable year...

Guest mongoloido

[quote name='bengalrick' post='232922' date='Mar 16 2006, 10:44 AM'][i]4. Miami Dolphins: Daunte Culpepper for a second-round pick? In 17 states, that constitutes rape.[/i]

unless moss plays in miami in 2007, dante will have another miserable year...[/quote]

I like Chambers, but Booker seems to have slipped... Could be Miami hasn't had a QB who could throw the ball though.

...And Favre needs to just go away. I can't believe Green Bay puts up with his bullshit. I understand he walks on water even when Wisconsin isn't frozen solid, but he's kinda sucked for several years now, and keeps holding retirement over the whole damn city so he can get his way. Fuck that guy.

Guest bengalrick
i think the dolphins have a solid team around them, besides oline... in my personal opinion, calpepper is a decent qb that was made to look much better b/c of moss... reason being, is b/c moss demands double coverage on every play, so before teh ball was ever snapped, dante knew where the coverage was going... chambers (or any other wr on the dolphins) doesn't demand that attention...

maybe dante will learn to be a real qb now that he has to, but i wouldn't be willing to bet on it, or anything... and if i was forced to, i'd bet against it...

[quote name='bengaldee' post='232832' date='Mar 16 2006, 07:33 AM']1. Antwaan Randle El: 35 catches in 2005. $11.5 million in bonus money in 2006. Should anyone be surprised when T.O. wants $18 million to sign?

5. Adam Archuleta: No offense intended, but if this guy can get $10 million in guaranteed coin, we've still got a chance to catch on somewhere for the league minimum.

10: Steve Hutchinson: An interior offensive lineman gets a $49 million contract? What's next? $45 million for a kicker?

2. The Postons: They overpriced their clients who were hitting the market, and as a result none of them got a sniff when the money was flowing like liquid from an elephant with IBS. To add insult to ignorance, Carl is now facing a two-year unpaid vacation.

3. Washington Redskins: We suggest that Dan Snyder satisfy his insatiable hunger for collecting NFL players at an unjustifiable premium by searching for McFarlane figures on eBay.

4. Jamal Lewis: The guy who pouted for a couple of years regarding the lack of a long-term, blockbuster deal stays in Baltimore for what amounts to a one-year, $6 million contract.

5. Oakland Raiders: To address the various holes in its roster, the Raiders have done . . . absolutely freakin' nothing.[/quote]

Who wrote this article? I like his style! :thumbsup:

I think its really shitty what the Buffalo Bills are doing to Eric Moulds. He knows hes gonna get cut, the Bills know they are going to cut him but theyre keeping him on until the last possible moment right before they have to pay him his roster bonus just so he cant get a big payday. Everyone will already have paid good money for the recievers on the market and Moulds will end up with either a real low 3 year deal or an ok one year deal, both very bad for a reciever that is still capable of getting 1000 yards. I cant believe how bad the Bills are screwing him over. I really feel bad for him after he gave all that he had for that franchise.

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='wat' post='233416' date='Mar 16 2006, 11:26 PM']I think its really shitty what the Buffalo Bills are doing to Eric Moulds. He knows hes gonna get cut, the Bills know they are going to cut him but theyre keeping him on until the last possible moment right before they have to pay him his roster bonus just so he cant get a big payday. Everyone will already have paid good money for the recievers on the market and Moulds will end up with either a real low 3 year deal or an ok one year deal, both very bad for a reciever that is still capable of getting 1000 yards. I cant believe how bad the Bills are screwing him over. I really feel bad for him after he gave all that he had for that franchise.[/quote]

me too. what a bunch of cocksuckers. you dont do that shit to one of your most consistent and best players in franchise history. pisses me off...

[quote name='mongoloido' post='232946' date='Mar 16 2006, 11:09 AM'][quote name='bengalrick' post='232922' date='Mar 16 2006, 10:44 AM']
[i]4. Miami Dolphins: Daunte Culpepper for a second-round pick? In 17 states, that constitutes rape.[/i]

unless moss plays in miami in 2007, dante will have another miserable year...[/quote]

I like Chambers, but Booker seems to have slipped... Could be Miami hasn't had a QB who could throw the ball though.

...And Favre needs to just go away. I can't believe Green Bay puts up with his bullshit. I understand he walks on water even when Wisconsin isn't frozen solid, [b]but he's kinda sucked for several years now[/b], and keeps holding retirement over the whole damn city so he can get his way. Fuck that guy.
[/quote]

ill take 30 td's and 17ints in 2004, and 32 td's and 21 ints in 2003, both year better then 90 qb rating.

i think it was not mainly a lack of talent last year on brett's part as it was all his main options being hurt the entire season. Do you think Carson would have put up the numbers he did last year without chad and t.j., then put quincy wilson in the backfield?

Guest BadassBengal

[quote name='dieselman44' post='233433' date='Mar 17 2006, 12:09 AM'][quote name='mongoloido' post='232946' date='Mar 16 2006, 11:09 AM']
[quote name='bengalrick' post='232922' date='Mar 16 2006, 10:44 AM']

...And Favre needs to just go away. I can't believe Green Bay puts up with his bullshit. I understand he walks on water even when Wisconsin isn't frozen solid, [b]but he's kinda sucked for several years now[/b], and keeps holding retirement over the whole damn city so he can get his way. Fuck that guy.
[/quote]

ill take 30 td's and 17ints in 2004, and 32 td's and 21 ints in 2003, both year better then 90 qb rating.

i think it was not mainly a lack of talent last year on brett's part as it was all his main options being hurt the entire season. Do you think Carson would have put up the numbers he did last year without chad and t.j., then put quincy wilson in the backfield?
[/quote]

well, he sure as fuck wouldnt have thrown 29 ints

[quote name='BadassBengal' post='233438' date='Mar 17 2006, 12:18 AM'][quote name='dieselman44' post='233433' date='Mar 17 2006, 12:09 AM']
[quote name='mongoloido' post='232946' date='Mar 16 2006, 11:09 AM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How do you know? Im not trying to act like Farve is God here, im just saying that i dont think he should receive all the crap for last years short comings. The man is still one of the best Qb's in the NFL with healthy players around him.

Guest BadassBengal

[quote name='dieselman44' post='233443' date='Mar 17 2006, 12:25 AM'][quote name='BadassBengal' post='233438' date='Mar 17 2006, 12:18 AM']
[quote name='dieselman44' post='233433' date='Mar 17 2006, 12:09 AM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How do you know? Im not trying to act like Farve is God here, im just saying that i dont think he should receive all the crap for last years short comings. The man is still one of the best Qb's in the NFL with healthy players around him.
[/quote]

Um... no. You don't throw 29 ints in a season while STILL being a good player. It's about decision making and how good your arm is. His ISNT.

[quote name='BadassBengal' post='233752' date='Mar 17 2006, 02:55 PM'][quote name='dieselman44' post='233443' date='Mar 17 2006, 12:25 AM']
[quote name='BadassBengal' post='233438' date='Mar 17 2006, 12:18 AM']
[quote name='dieselman44' post='233433' date='Mar 17 2006, 12:09 AM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

you make no sense whatso ever
Um... no. You don't throw 29 ints in a season while STILL being a good player. It's about decision making and how good your arm is. His ISNT.
[/quote]

Guest Bengal_Smoov
Could the Panthers possible be cutting Kris Jenkins if he doesn't impress in TC? If there's a remote possibility he's going to get cut I saw we hold off on signing a FA until we know Jenkins status.

And Farve has been on the decline for awhile now, he should retire before he gets seriously hurt. Like Michael Jordon and many more before him Farve is staying around to long giving his fans bad memories to replace the good ones.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' post='233869' date='Mar 17 2006, 04:53 PM']Could the Panthers possible be cutting Kris Jenkins if he doesn't impress in TC? If there's a remote possibility he's going to get cut I saw we hold off on signing a FA until we know Jenkins status.

And Farve has been on the decline for awhile now, he should retire before he gets seriously hurt. Like Michael Jordon and many more before him Farve is staying around to long giving his fans bad memories to replace the good ones.[/quote]

id take over 90 qb rating in 2004 and 2003 with 30 tds in each year. Dont jump on Brett because he had one bad year

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' post='233869' date='Mar 17 2006, 04:53 PM']Could the Panthers possible be cutting Kris Jenkins if he doesn't impress in TC? If there's a remote possibility he's going to get cut I saw we hold off on signing a FA until we know Jenkins status.

And Farve has been on the decline for awhile now, he should retire before he gets seriously hurt. Like Michael Jordon and many more before him Farve is staying around to long giving his fans bad memories to replace the good ones.[/quote]

Agreed. If we got Jenkins....wow.

The Bears have matched the offer sheet signed by DL Israel Idonije with the Bills.

The Pats have re-signed CB Chad Scott.

The Ravens have signed CB Corey Ivy and LB/DE Gary Stills.

Bengals QB Carson Palmer tries the "nothing happened" route when addressing the now-infamous halftime brouhaha involving WR Chad Johnson during the team's playoff loss to the Steelers.

QB Ben Roethlisberger is making a trip to Switzerland (he's looking forward to the tour of the instant cocoa plant).

Another day, another confirmed asshole closes in on a deal with the Cowboys.

The NFL draft will be conducted at the Radio City Music Hall.

The Lions have re-signed DE Jared DeVries.

QB Mike McMahon (a/k/a Alfalfa on HGH) visited the Vikings on Wednesday.

THURSDAY AFTERNOON ONE-LINERS

The Bucs have suggested that all penalty calls be subject to the replay system (we agree. . . completely).

Jeremy Green of ESPN.com makes some good arguments in support of the notion that Vikings coach Brad Childress should quit talking about Daunte Culpepper.

Childress has admitted that he wouldn't give Culpepper a playbook, but Childress says no one else got one, either.

Vikings RB Mewelde Moore is getting married this weekend but will be back in Minnesota for offseason workouts on Monday (he'll also be resting up after the offseason sessions by sleeping in the garage).

The Jets won't say whether QB Chad Pennington has begun throwing.

Saints WR Donte' Stallworth recently was jailed in Miami.

Fins WR Chris Chambers kinda-sorta guaranteed that Miami will make a Super Bowl appearance in 2006.

Miami DT Manuel Wright was an unexcused no-show for the team's annual banquet (he surely had a good reason, because we can't imagine the dude turning down free grub).

OT Jon Runyan is limiting himself to East Coast teams; he finished a visit to the Jets without an offer.

Seahawks S Ken Hamlin (head injury) has been cleared to practice and play football.

Vikings C Matt Birk thinks that his newest teammate, G Steve Hutchinson, is worth every penny.

With only $1.5 million up front as part of his two-year, $8 million contract, it looks like QB Aaron Brooks essentially has a one-year deal.

Vikings RT Mike Rosenthal reworked his deal without taking a pay cut.

Bears CB Jerry Azumah is retiring due to a recurring neck injury.

WR Keyshawn Johnson met with the Panthers on Thursday.

LB LaVar Arrington and QB Anthony Wright visit the Bengals on Thursday.

New Bears QB Brian Griese doesn't expect to be warming the bench: "I don't think any player who is worth his salt is content to be a backup, especially someone who has been a starter before," Griese said. "I'm not going to resign myself to anything. I'm going to come out and be the best player I can be and help the Bears win."

THURSDAY NIGHT ONE-LINERS

The Raider have re-signed OT Chad Slaughter and OT Brad Lekkerkerker.

Cowboys OT Rob Petitti pocketed more than $271,000 under the performance-based pay system, more than his entire 2005 base salary.

The Packers got rid of the old medicine balls and the plastic weights from Sears full of sand.

WR Javon Walker and S Mark Roman are the only no-shows for the Packers' offseason workout program.

The Redskins have $4.5 million in remaining cap space.

The Pats have made an "informal inquiry" regarding Bills WR Eric Moulds.

Another year, another new brand of panty shield for NFL quarterbacks.

The Cardinals might be interested in QB Kerry Collins.

Seahawks QB Seneca Wallace, a restricted free agent, visited the Bucs on Wednesday.

The Rams might be interested in P Matt Turk.

QB Mike McMahon visited the Broncos on Thursday.

LB Patrick Chukwurah left Tampa on Wednesday without a contract.

LB Ben Taylor is weighing offers from the Packers and the Browns.

The Lions are still trying to trade QB Joey Harrington, whom the team has essentially exiled pending a deal or a release.

The brother of Steelers S Tyrone Carter partied with Snoop Dogg after the Super Bowl -- and then got another 4.5 years of jail time because going to the game made him late for what would have been a six-month prison sentence.

The Giants re-signed WR David Tyree to a five-year, $7.5 million contract.

The Seahawks have signed former Pats OL Tom Ashworth.

The Panthers are interested in WR Marc Boerigter.

The Wersching Machine will soon be producing license plates.

Guest Johnsons4Life
This isn't news to anybody. But the Redskins are so stupid. I wonder how the fans feel about all of their crap?? They dont even have a 1st or 3rd round pick this year i think.

Archived