Arroyo roughed up

Guest BengalBacker

Guest BengalBacker
Arroyo roughed up in Reds debut
By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

SARASOTA, Fla. | Bronson Arroyo knew he no longer wore a Boston Red Sox uniform when he wasn't booed as he took the field, "As I was in Fort Myers."

In fact, Arroyo was cheered loudly as he strolled to the Ed Smith Stadium mound for his Cincinnati Reds pitching debut. And he wasn't booed after five innings as he left, having given up six runs (five earned), seven hits, two walks and a home run."

"I wasn't pleased with the results but I felt good physically," he said after the Reds came from 6-2 behind when Arroyo was pitching to an 11-9 victory over the Minnesota Twins. "It is going to take (catcher) Jason LaRue and me time to get on the same wave length as far as pitch selection and how I want to get people out."

Arroyo was emotionally shattered when the Red Sox traded him to Cincinnati for Wily Mo Pena, but said he is beyond the trauma and ready to find his Reds comfort zone.

"The uniform didn't feel weird, but having a different catcher than Jason Varitek and the surroundings were different," he said."

Told his reception was favorable, despite giving up two walks and a three-run home run to Glenn Williams during a 28-pitch third inning, he said, "Yeah, especially after giving up six runs. The two walks hurt and I've been struggling with command of my fastball. I've been able to throw my breaking ball where I want.

"I'm pretty cool with the trade now," he said after his 79-pitch day (54 strikes). "The first two days were rough, but once you get into a game, start playing with the guys and get used to how they play, learning their personalities, it all comes together pretty quick."

Adam Dunn homered twice, LaRue and Ken Griffey Jr. homered once and Griffey broke a 9-9 tie in the eighth with a two-run, two-out bases-loaded single.

Not so Wise

Dejected Dewayne Wise walked through the clubhouse on crutches Saturday, out for two weeks with a sprained left ankle, injured on an aborted slide Friday.

"I couldn't sleep with all that's on my mind," said Wise. "It's so frustrating and it's why I'm so upset. I had a chance to make the ballclub. It is just like last spring. I had a chance to make the Detroit Tigers but I tore my quadriceps early in the spring."

Wise, a non-roster invite to the major league camp, impressed everybody with his hitting (.298), power, defense and baserunning.

"I was stealing second base when Rich Aurilia hit a pop fly," he said. "I tried to hit the base in the middle, but caught the front of it and rolled my ankle over. I thought I broke it. A photographer has a picture of it happening, but I don't want to see it."

Who's batting where?

A set batting order? What's that? Asked about a batting order Saturday, manager Jerry Narron's rundown sounded like a course in numerology.

"Ken Griffey Jr. will bat third," Narron began. "Felipe Lopez will bat first or second, fifth or seventh. Tony Womack and Ryan Freel will bat first, second or eighth. Jason LaRue will bat second, seventh or eighth. Austin Kearns will bat anywhere from second through eighth. Javier Valentin, well, no telling where he'll hit."

Got all that?

Sanchez signs

Wherever he has been, outfielder Alex Sanchez wore out his welcome with a less than pleasant personality. Despite a .296 career average over five major-league seasons, he has played for three teams — Milwaukee, Detroit and Tampa Bay.

Sanchez hit .346 with the Devil Rays last year over 133 at-bats, but was released.

He didn't have a job until Saturday when he walked into the Reds camp and signed a minor-league contract.

"We're giving him another chance and he seems appreciative," said general manager Wayne Krivsky. "He'll probably start the season at Class A Sarasota."

The last WBC word

Ken Griffey Sr. is in camp working with minor-leaguers after serving as first-base coach for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic.

"A different animal, the WBC," he said. "Every pitch, every play means something. And the Korean and Japanese pitchers are unbelievable with their command. Junior (Kent Griffey Jr.) said to me, 'Dad, they hit their spots on every single pitch, never miss.' "

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='240425' date='Mar 29 2006, 01:49 PM']On the contrary Pena just had a nice hit with runners on base in the 2nd inning for the Red Sox.[/quote]

i bet it was a fastball he hit..... those AL pitchers will learn quick, that wily mo can hit a fastball 600 feet, but can't foul tip a curve ball....

[quote name='bengalrick' post='240433' date='Mar 29 2006, 02:24 PM'][quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='240425' date='Mar 29 2006, 01:49 PM']
On the contrary Pena just had a nice hit with runners on base in the 2nd inning for the Red Sox.[/quote]

i bet it was a fastball he hit..... those AL pitchers will learn quick, that wily mo can hit a fastball 600 feet, but can't foul tip a curve ball....
[/quote]
Cant remember what pitch it is but it was off Oliver Perez from the Pirates.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='BigDawgBengal' post='240470' date='Mar 29 2006, 04:14 PM'][quote name='bengalrick' post='240433' date='Mar 29 2006, 02:24 PM']
[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='240425' date='Mar 29 2006, 01:49 PM']
On the contrary Pena just had a nice hit with runners on base in the 2nd inning for the Red Sox.[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

not too shaby of a pitcher.... i may have to stand corrected....

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='bengalrick' post='240479' date='Mar 29 2006, 03:25 PM'][quote name='BigDawgBengal' post='240470' date='Mar 29 2006, 04:14 PM']
[quote name='bengalrick' post='240433' date='Mar 29 2006, 02:24 PM']
[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='240425' date='Mar 29 2006, 01:49 PM']

[/quote]
[/quote]

not too shaby of a pitcher.... i may have to stand corrected....
[/quote]

It was a breaking ball...

Archived