CUTLER HEADED FOR A FALL?

Over the past few months, we've offered up opinions from various league sources regarding a potential draft-day free fall for quarterbacks Matt Leinart and Vince Young.

We're now hearing that Jay Cutler could be the one who ends up sliding.

Of course, this is the season of misinformation in the NFL. Some teams will hype a guy in the hopes that a franchise selecting in front of them will draft him. Other teams will knock a guy in the hopes that he'll fall to them.

But as to the insights we've recently picked up regarding the assessment of the three quarterbacks projected to be taken in round one of the draft, we're persuaded that the source has no horse in the race -- making his observations far more credible.

The question of when Leinart, Young, and Cutler will be drafted depends in large part on the structure of the teams assessing the picks. "Teams that have a strong G.M. and personnel department draft based on production and value," said the source. "When a coach has more to do with the final say, then they seem to go more on workouts. Scouts spend about eleven months going over the players in their area, finding out about character, work habits, coachability, etc., only to get nudged out by a coach who has worked part time for two months on the same thing and then seems to have all the answers."

But what about the buzz surrounding Cutler?

"I have read over and over the last few months that Leinart and Young have dropped and Cutler has risen in scouts eyes," said the source. "What a joke. What has Cutler ever won? He never had a winning season at Vandy. He lost six games in a row this year. Looked very average at the Senior Bowl and very average at the combine, yet people seem to think he should be drafted in the top ten. Why? Because he has a strong arm?

"Let's see, Leinart and Young have won three national titles between them, have great stats, are very strong leaders, won a ton of games, have solid character and they aren't as good as Cutler who lost six games this year alone and never had a winning season? I thought that a real good quarterback was supposed to make his team better and lead them to wins."

So has Young overcome the hit that he took based on reports of a low Wonderlic score?

"All that sh-t about his test score is bogus," said the source. "He could not have done what he has done at Texas if he was real dumb.

"You mentioned that Young's stock rose after his workout last week. Well, a good scouting dept should have had him near the top of their board all along. All he has done is win. If a team is interested, they will bring him in, get him on board with their offensive staff, and find out how good his aptitude for football is. They will find out that he has a very strong passion for the game and is football smart."

Where, then, should Cutler land? "He doesn't deserve to go in the first round," said the source. "He is not anywhere as good as Patrick Ramsey was four years ago. He went at 31 and has been a bust."

Yikes.

Don't expect this debate to die down. After all, there are plenty of teams with coaches who have a lot of say in the draft process, giving Cutler's workout results greater weight in those cities. And when Leinart, who isn't a big T-shirt-and-shorts guy, has what likely will be received as an average workout on April 2, look for the opinions and projections to continue to conflict and jumble.

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='bengaldee' post='239697' date='Mar 28 2006, 07:40 AM']"I have read over and over the last few months that Leinart and Young have dropped and Cutler has risen in scouts eyes," said the source. "What a joke. What has Cutler ever won? He never had a winning season at Vandy. He lost six games in a row this year. Looked very average at the Senior Bowl and very average at the combine, yet people seem to think he should be drafted in the top ten. Why? Because he has a strong arm?

"Let's see, Leinart and Young have won three national titles between them, have great stats, are very strong leaders, won a ton of games, have solid character and they aren't as good as Cutler who lost six games this year alone and never had a winning season? I thought that a real good quarterback was supposed to make his team better and lead them to wins."[/quote]

I'm sure this guy was pimping Ken Dorsey and Jason White as future NFL superstars. They had great stats and won national championships. They have to be the best QBs around, right? This "source" is probably some internet dork who never even watched Cutler workout. You notice that he never mentions what exactly is Cutler's problem. He doesn't say anything about his mechanics, quick release, footwork, pocket awareness, accuracy, arm strenght, or anything. The reviews I read of Cutler from the Senior Bowl were very positive.

This guy is full of shit.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='fredtoast' post='239839' date='Mar 28 2006, 01:30 PM'][quote name='bengaldee' post='239697' date='Mar 28 2006, 07:40 AM']

"I have read over and over the last few months that Leinart and Young have dropped and Cutler has risen in scouts eyes," said the source. "What a joke. What has Cutler ever won? He never had a winning season at Vandy. He lost six games in a row this year. Looked very average at the Senior Bowl and very average at the combine, yet people seem to think he should be drafted in the top ten. Why? Because he has a strong arm?

"Let's see, Leinart and Young have won three national titles between them, have great stats, are very strong leaders, won a ton of games, have solid character and they aren't as good as Cutler who lost six games this year alone and never had a winning season? I thought that a real good quarterback was supposed to make his team better and lead them to wins."[/quote]

I'm sure this guy was pimping Ken Dorsey and Jason White as future NFL superstars. They had great stats and won national championships. They have to be the best QBs around, right? This "source" is probably some internet dork who never even watched Cutler workout. You notice that he never mentions what exactly is Cutler's problem. He doesn't say anything about his mechanics, quick release, footwork, pocket awareness, accuracy, arm strenght, or anything. The reviews I read of Cutler from the Senior Bowl were very positive.

This guy is full of shit.
[/quote]

Cutler sucks, everyone know's it, he won't be shit in the league. If you think Cutler is better than Lienart or Young then your an idiot, it's that simple. Did you see him at the Senior Bowl???? Charlie Whitehurst is 1,000x better than Cutler, and Whitehurst is the 5th best qb coming out this year at best. Cutler is the next Ryan Leaf.

I think Cutler can be a starter in the league...But he needs to be taken in the bottom of the 1st-top of the 2nd, and work with a good QB coach for a year or two.

It's not the end of the world to have some mechanics problems...Are we to assume that Vandy has the best coaching staff? Probably not...So he is largely self-made already.

It's simply a matter of investment...And he is not a guy you want to give 1st round money to, because he's going to take awhile to get the investment paid back...And it might take until Year 3 or 4.

BZ

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' post='240054' date='Mar 28 2006, 08:53 PM']Cutler sucks, everyone know's it, he won't be shit in the league. If you think Cutler is better than Lienart or Young then your an idiot, it's that simple. [b] Did you see him at the Senior Bowl???? [/b][/quote]

Did you see reggie Bush in the Rose Bowl? Did you see him pull that bone headed attempted lateral? Based on that one game performance Reggie Bush sucks!

BTW here is what a professional scout says about Cutler's performance the week of the Senior Bowl. You've obviously never seen Cutler play for more than a dozen snaps.

[i]Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt 6027 223 9 1/4 32
Weigh-In Notes: Long and lean.
Monday Practice Notes: He had one of the best performances of any of the skill offensive players. The ball jumped out of his hand during the session and he displayed good zip on his passes and hit his receivers in stride. He showed good arm strength and accuracy for most of the practice. [b]He looked to be one of the better passers we've seen in Mobile over the last few years.[/b]
Tuesday Practice Notes: He clearly was the best on the field at his position during the session. Cutler throws a hard ball that is some times tough to catch but he throws an accurate pass for the most part. He did a good job of evading the pass rush in 11-on-11 drills and was able to get off accurate throws on the run. Cutler has no wasted motion which is a good trait to have for such a young signal caller.
Wednesday Practice Notes: Again, he was solid again during most practice drills. Cutler, after starting off slowly with some off target throws, rebounded nicely. His footwork and technical aspects of his game were solid as they have been all week. In live 11-on-11 drills, Cutler was able to throw with accuracy through a tight window which wasn't the case with any of the other signal callers. He also doesn't seem to get rattled by pressure.
Thursday Practice Notes: He did a great job of throwing in tight quarters and finished off the week with another very solid performance.
Analysis: Cutler was clearly the best at his position all week and really looked like a polished signal caller. He passed with poise and never seemed to be rattled and also did a good job of moving in the pocket and stepping up to make his throws.[b] There's no question he helped his draft stock after his performance in Mobile this week.[/i][/b]

Players get overhyped at QB EVERY year. In 2003 it was Boller, in 2004 it was Losman, in 2005 it was Smith AND Rodgers. I have seen nothing from these guys that proves they were worth the first rounder the teams spent on them. I'm pretty sure we'll NEVER see it from Boller. Losman had flashes last year, and I'm not convinced he can be anything more than a capable backup. Smith, I can't even say anything, he had a horrible rookie campaign but I am not ready to make an accurate judge on him. Rodgers hasn't played yet so I can't really say the same for him. Cutler will turn out just like these guys, players who are capable of coming in to start, but not a franchise player by any means.

While all you argue about things you cannot possibly predict I'll go strait to the source of all wisdom, Magic 8 ball.

will Cutler be a starter in the NFL?

-shakes magic 8 ball-

"try again later"

-shakes it again-

"decidedly so" - well I guess you all have it, the 8 ball never lies. Unless, do you have to ask the question again for it to be accurate? Does anybody know the rules to Magic 8 ball?

I'll be consulting the ouija board next, hopefully my dead grandpa will have some insight to share with all of you.

Archived