I love it when a Cincinnati player talks shit about a Pissburgh team

Guest oldschooler

Guest oldschooler
[quote][b][size=5]Reds pitcher continues verbal assault[/size][/b]

By Joe Rutter
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, May 19, 2006

Bronson Arroyo didn't back down Thursday from the disparaging comments he made against the Pirates one night earlier. Instead, he stepped up and continued to assail his former team.
Arroyo, the losing pitcher in the Pirates' 7-2 victory Wednesday night, stood by his statement that he was beaten by an inferior team. And he was surprised to learn several Pirates players were upset by what was said.

[b]"The Pirates? That is a weak lineup," Arroyo said before the game yesterday. "What else do you want me to say? They're not the Yankees." [/b]

The Cincinnati Reds lost their fifth in a row after Arroyo, who was 5-1 with a 2.03 ERA entering the game, gave up four runs and nine hits in six innings. The Pirates scored four runs in the first two innings, two coming on pitcher Oliver Perez's single.

[b]"I felt like I was embarrassed to get behind 4-1 early in a game like that," said Arroyo, who joined the Reds in a spring training trade with the Boston Red Sox. "It's not a secret. They don't have a bunch of All-Stars in that lineup. They had seven righties up there, which is tailor-made for me. I was embarrassed to be beaten by those guys.

"That's not to say you can't be beat on any given day, but I thought it was a horse (crap) outing, especially against a team like that. I mean, they are one of the weakest teams in baseball. That's just the way it is. If I gave up four runs in six innings to the Yankees, I probably wouldn't be embarrassed, but I was." [/b]

Arroyo played for the Pirates from 2000-02. He said Wednesday he felt no pressure pitching in pissburgh for the first time since his departure.

[b]"If I can't stand on the mound and feel comfortable against that lineup, then something's wrong with me," he said. [/b]

That comment provided bulletin-board material for the Pirates. The quote was highlighted on a piece of paper and placed atop a table in the middle of the clubhouse for all players to see.

"What he said was very disrespectful," shortstop Jack Wilson said. "When you're out on the field, you respect everything. You respect the game, you respect your players and you respect the other team's players. To come out and say that, especially against your former teammates, guys who've played with you, it's more disrespectful.

"You take it personally. You can be frustrated with an outing and think you've faced better lineups, but don't come out publicly and rip your old teammates. The fact is, we hit the ball well and the score could have been worse."

Arroyo offered no apologies for his candor and used his team as an example.

[b]"I'm not disrespecting anybody. I'm just stating the facts," he said. "We don't have a lights-out rotation here. We don't have a lights-out bullpen. That's just a fact. We don't have a busload of guys that are Randy Johnsons. We don't have anybody in our rotation that's a Randy Johnson. That's just the way it is.

"If the Yankees were playing us and they said they were embarrassed to be beat by Dave Williams, Bronson Arroyo and Brandon Claussen, hey, I'm not going to take offense to it. I know these are three guys the Yankees shouldn't be beaten by. I don't think I should be beaten by a lineup that sends seven righties at me and doesn't have a lot of juice in its lineup or whatever you want to call it." [/b]

Pirates manager Jim Tracy refused to be drawn into the war of words.

"I'm not throwing any mud back," he said. "We came in here yesterday trying to win a game, and we accomplished that. The lineup last night did a very decent job. Move on."[/quote]

The link doesn`t work because the board keeps changing Pitt to Piss...
[url="http://www.pissburghlive.com/x/pissburghtrib/s_454578.html"]http://www.pissburghlive.com/x/pissburghtrib/s_454578.html[/url]

Archived