ANOTHER ARREST FOR HOLMES

CoMmEnT

from PFT
[quote]POSTED 8:29 a.m. EDT, June 19, 2006

ANOTHER ARREST FOR HOLMES

The Associated Press reports that stealers receiver Santonio Holmes was arrested early Monday for domestic violence.

The arrest came just after midnight. Holmes was taken to the Franklin County (Ohio) jail. His first court appearance is scheduled for Tuesday. The police aren't giving out any details as to who has made the complaint or what Holmes allegedly did.

The first-round draft pick out of Ohio State also was arrested in Miami during Memorial Day weekend for disorderly conduct, apparently as part of a local crackdown on folks who act up outside one of the many South Beach clubs.

Said coach Bill Cowher following Holmes' first arrest: "Whatever he did wrong, I don't think he handled it properly. I think he'll learn from it and understand the scrutiny he's under. We have not talked face to face about it. I don't have any long-term concerns."

In April, the stealers traded up from No. 32 to No. 25 in order to select Holmes, who was the first receiver taken in the draft. The second wideout, Florida's Chad Jackson, landed with New England in round two.

Jackson hasn't been arrested for anything. Yet. Given the position he plays, it's almost statistically certain that, at some point in his career, he'll be dragging a tin cup along a set of steel bars.[/quote]

EDIT:

Already posted in Bengals forum. Mod can delete this thread.

stealers' Holmes out of jail, awaiting trial date
No. 1 pick from Ohio State arrested on domestic-violence charges in Columbus, Ohio, incident; 2nd run-in with law since he was drafted
Tuesday, June 20, 2006

By Shelly Anderson, pissburgh Post-Gazette

Santonio Holmes, the stealers' 2006 first-round draft pick, was released on a $3,500 recognizance bond yesterday afternoon in Columbus, Ohio, after he was arrested just after midnight Sunday on charges of domestic violence and assault, both first-degree misdemeanors, and an outstanding warrant for a minor traffic violation.

He entered a plea of not guilty, and his attorney, Samuel Shamansky, requested a jury trial. No court date has been set.

Reached in Columbus last night, Holmes, a receiver from Ohio State, said, "I'm not taking any calls."

It is Holmes' second run-in with police since he was drafted in April. He was arrested in Miami Beach on a disorderly conduct charge over Memorial Day weekend in a crackdown by authorities there.

According to two Columbus police spokesmen, Holmes, 22, was arrested at an apartment after Columbus police responded to a call from a woman who is the mother of Holmes' youngest child, Shaniya, 4 months.

After talking with the woman, identified as Lashae Boone, police arrested Holmes, who had returned to the apartment while police were taking a report. Holmes was described as cooperative.

According to a police affidavit, the woman said Holmes did "knowingly cause or attempt to cause physical harm to a family or household member ... by means of choking, throwing her to the ground, grabbing her arms and slamming her into a door, leaving her with bruises, pain and a torn shirt."

Shamansky would not comment on specifics of the incident, but said, "Nobody's injured. There were no injuries."

Boone was not taken to a hospital for treatment. She did not return a phone message.

Holmes originally was to be arraigned in Franklin County Court this morning, but that was moved up at the request of Shamansky and the sheriff's department. Holmes appeared in prison khakis and handcuffs before Judge Anne Taylor.

According to Shamansky, Boone was present at the arraignment and requested that Holmes be released.

Holmes did not speak to reporters as he left the court building.

"I think that it's upsetting, but he's doing just fine," Shamansky said of Holmes. "He takes the matter very seriously and looks forward to putting the whole thing behind him."

Holmes' arrest came a week after stealers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident.

Asked about Holmes' latest arrest during an interview on a national radio show, stealers coach Bill Cowher said, "I really don't have any details whatsoever, so I really don't want to comment. It's unfortunate that these types of things are making the news. It's not what you want to be doing at this time of year."

The stealers declined further comment.

Following Holmes' May 27 arrest, Cowher said, "If you look at the details, certainly there were a lot of people over the Memorial Day weekend who were arrested. Whatever he did wrong, I don't think he handled it properly.

"I think he'll learn from it. He'll learn to understand the scrutiny he's under. ... I don't have any long-term concerns. I think he's still a solid individual, and I'm not going to hold that incident against him, even though we will talk about it."

Although Holmes, selected 25th overall in the April draft, has not signed with the stealers, he is subject to the NFL's personal-conduct policy and could face mandatory counseling or punishment.

While processing Holmes, Columbus police discovered an outstanding warrant for an assured distance violation, a minor traffic misdemeanor that stems from an accident in which a driver is tailgating.

The ticket was issued Oct. 18, 2005, and Holmes failed to show up for court seven days later.

He had one other brush with the law while at Ohio State.

On Nov. 16, 2003 -- the all-important week of the Michigan game -- Holmes and Buckeyes quarterback Troy Smith were arrested on disorderly conduct charges following a 3 a.m. fight in a parking lot. They and other teammates apparently were trying to break up a fight among some players' girlfriends.

Holmes, who was a redshirt freshman, was held out of the starting lineup against Michigan but did play. Although Smith was convicted, the charge against Holmes was dropped the following March when a prosecution witness could not identify him.

stealers | Holmes apologizes
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:30:55 -0700

The Associated Press reports pissburgh stealers WR Santonio Holmes apologized Tuesday, June 20, for his latest arrest on charges he assaulted a woman. Holmes was charged by Columbus, Ohio, police Monday, June 19, with two misdemeanor counts of domestic violence and simple assault. In an issued statement, Holmes said he was sorry for the negative attention his arrest brought to the organization and he understands that being a stealers player demands responsible behavior off the field.

Keep sucking Holmes and let Ben show you how it's done

Holmes could be in trouble with NFL

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, June 21, 2006

No. 1 draft pick Santonio Holmes may be in violation of NFL policy as well as the laws of Ohio and Florida, which could impact the outset of his career with the stealers, including his impending contract negotiations with the team.
Holmes' arrest early Monday morning in Columbus, Ohio, demands a league review, which could result in a disciplinary response under the NFL's personal conduct policy.

Such discipline could range from "clinical evaluation" to "suspension."

"It's a zero-tolerance policy," pissburgh-based agent Ralph Cindrich said Tuesday.

According to the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy, as it's presented on NFLmedia.com, "engaging in violent and/or criminal activity is unacceptable."

Unsigned rookies such as Holmes are considered covered by the policy once they're drafted.

Under the policy, it is considered conduct detrimental for "covered persons to engage in (or to aid, abet or conspire to engage in or to incite) violent and/or criminal activity. Examples of such prohibited conduct include, without limitation: any crime involving the use or threat of physical violence to a person or persons."

Covered persons charged with prohibited conduct "will be required to undergo a clinical evaluation and, if appropriate, additional counseling or treatment as directed. Failure to comply with evaluation and counseling obligations (including being arrested for or charged with additional criminal activity during the evaluation and counseling period) shall itself be conduct detrimental to the National Football League and shall be punishable by fine or suspension at the discretion of the commissioner."

Covered persons "convicted of or admitting to a criminal violation (including a plea to a lesser included offense; a plea of nolo contendere or no contest; or the acceptance of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or similar arrangement) will be subject to discipline as determined by the commissioner."

Holmes, a former Ohio State wide receiver, was arraigned Monday on charges of domestic violence by assault and assault, both first-degree misdemeanors, as well as an outstanding charge for speeding from a traffic accident on Oct. 18, 2005.

The domestic violence by assault and assault charges are punishable by a maximum of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Holmes pleaded not guilty on all three charges.

Holmes was released on his own recognizance Monday afternoon from the Franklin County (Ohio) jail and reported to the stealers' South Side practice facility yesterday morning. He was put through his paces on the field by wide receivers coach Bruce Arians, spent some time in the weight room with conditioning coach Chet Fuhrman and met with director of football operations Kevin Colbert.

Holmes did not speak with reporters, but the stealers issued the following statement from him:

"I understand that being a pissburgh Steeler carries along with it the demands for responsible behavior off the field. I want to apologize for the negative attention that my arrest on Monday has brought upon the pissburgh stealers organization, especially in light of my previous arrest in May."

Holmes was arrested for disorderly conduct over the Memorial Day weekend in Miami Beach, a charge a Miami Beach police spokesman dismissed as "nothing."

Holmes has a pre-trial hearing scheduled for July 7 in Ohio and another impending court date July 12 in Florida.

His agent, Joel Segal, declined comment yesterday. stealers management also declined comment.

Cindrich anticipates that Holmes' troubles with the law will affect his upcoming contract negotiations with the stealers.

"I don't think there's any question that any clause for protection they can get in there, they'll get in there," Cindrich said. "Almost assuredly, the club is going to force as much of a good conduct policy (into the contract) as possible.

"It's highly unlikely he'll receive a signing bonus in the same manner and fashion as other draft choices (with the majority being paid up front). It'll likely be spread out more (over several years) and contain a few more conditions."

The severity of any discipline handed out by the NFL would depend upon how violent it estimates Holmes to have been, Cindrich said.

Holmes' attorney, Sam Shamansky, wouldn't rule out the Ohio misdemeanor charges being dropped eventually.

"It's always possible," Shamansky said. "There's no sort of protocol on these things. Each case is unique, but as domestic violence charges go, they're all serious."

Cindrich said the league wouldn't necessarily wait for a conviction before administering its penalty.

Calls to the NFL yesterday were not returned.

"It may be a reprimand, may be a warning," Cindrich said. "If it got into a situation where there are just gruesome facts, I would see it happening right away."

stealers WERE SPLIT ON SANTURDIO profootballtalk.com

A league source tells us that there was disagreement in the stealers' front office regarding the question of whether to draft receiver Santurdio, the team's first pick in the 2006 draft.

Instead of standing pat with the 32nd overall choice in round one, the stealers traded up with the Giants to get Santurdio at No. 25.

Though we don't know who or how many execs were against selecting the former Ohio State Buckeye, it's safe to assume that coach Bill Cowher ultimately made the call to make the move.

And it's also safe to assume that, at a time when Cowher would like to tell quarterback Ben Toothlessberger "I told you so" regarding the decision to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, there's more than a few folks in the front office who'd like to say the same thing to Cowher regarding the acquisition of Santurdio.

So what becomes of Santurdio? Look for Cowher and company to cold-cock some sense into him come training camp. If he gets arrested another time between now and late July, don't be surprised if all he gets from the stealers is a one-year offer for the rookie minimum of $275,000. His only alternative at that point would be to sit out the year and re-enter the draft in 2007.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SANTURDIO ON "THIN ICE" profootballtalk.com

A source with knowledge of the pissburgh stealers' current attitude toward first-round draft pick Santurdio tells us that the former Ohio State wideout is on "thin ice" with the team.

Though the source didn't elaborate, we interpret this to mean that, if Santurdio screws up one more time before he signs his rookie contract, the team will wash its hands of him.

Another possible strategy for the team would be to stand on the requisite one-year tender for the rookie minimum of $275,000, which every club must extend to every draft pick. If Santurdio refuses to sign it, he can sit out the season and then re-enter the draft.

And that might be a better approach than merely cutting him, since Santurdio likely would end up being claimed via waivers or signed as a free agent if the stealers wash their hands of him.

Santurdio's best approach, in our view, is to get his contract signed. Now. The only problem is that he's represented by Joel "Escargot" Segal, who refuses to sign any of his first-round clients until the guy immediately in front of his client and the guy immediately behind him has signed.

Of course, the fact that Segal represents Santurdio could be the reason for the team's current stance, since that might get Segal to the table sooner rather than later.

Archived