Boston eager to compete for a job

bengaldee

St. Petersburg Times
By STEPHEN F. HOLDER

The Buccaneers have 14 receivers on the roster, and here's a news flash: They won't all be there come opening day.

Although the Bucs kept seven receivers on this past season's final roster - a particularly high number in comparison with the rest of the league - there will still be some tough choices come August.

All of this brings us to David Boston, whose signing in May only intensifies the competition in what could be the most scrutinized unit during training camp.

After largely forgettable, injury-plagued seasons with the Dolphins the past two years, Boston is quickly working himself back into form and figures to spice up the competition in camp if he can recapture his signature speed and power.

"I feel good," Boston said recently. "I'm just out there running around. It's great to be able to go out there and run around without any pain so I can compete. I love to compete. I'm getting a chance to show my athletic ability right now."

In Miami, the 27-year-old Boston suffered the same right knee injury in consecutive seasons.

Although he has proclaimed himself healed, Boston continues to take on only a small workload in practices.

Jon Gruden and company aren't saying much publicly - to temper expectations - but the coach and his staff have high hopes for Boston. If he can truly work his way back, he has the potential to add a little sizzle to an offense in need of every spark it can get.

For now, Boston continues to work diligently to pick up the Bucs' ultra-technical offense.

"It's all unfamiliar to me, but I seem to be picking it up pretty good," said Boston, who has slimmed down to a chiseled 6-2, 228 pounds. "Right now, I'm still in the learning stage, but I'll get it."

After that, he can home in on returning to the player he once was, which is to say a guy with two 1,000-yard seasons and a Pro Bowl on his resume.

No one is more eager to see how things shake out at receiver than Gruden. The offensive-minded coach surely is considering a number of combinations for his final receiving unit, each coming with intriguing possibilities.

After roster shoo-ins Joey Galloway and Michael Clayton, do the Bucs prefer the experience of Boston and Ike Hilliard or the upside of youngsters Edell Shepherd and third-round pick Maurice Stovall?

It's a good problem to have, really.

"We're going to have to let some players go probably even before training camp," Gruden said. "We're eager to see what happens. Ike Hilliard's important to us because he can play so many positions (split end and flanker). Clayton, it's important that he comes back to us as the player we drafted, and we think he will. Boston is very interesting, and Galloway still has great life in his legs.

"Shepherd has gotten better with his opportunities. And from our young class of last year, Paris Warren has stood out a little bit; J.R. Russell has had his days. I really don't know other than we're going to have to play some preseason games and go through some reps and find out how they stack themselves."

Time will tell. Camp starts in 18 days.

Archived