Will the BCS move to a playoff?

Guest Agent Orange

Guest Agent Orange
[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=dw-atruechampion120506&prov=yhoo&type=lgns"]http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=dw...o&type=lgns[/url]

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='Bengals1181' post='401898' date='Dec 5 2006, 11:38 PM']I think the next step we'll see is a plus one, quasi-playoff system.

2 BCS bowl games:
1 vs 4
2 vs 3

winners play the next week.[/quote]

IMO that's all the playoff needs

2 teams = too few
8 teams = too many
4 teams = just right

I have yet to hear a coherent argument against this setup. For example, USC's loss would have likely knocked them out of the playoff, so how can you say it would regular season games meaningless? As for cutting into academics, it's ONE extra game for TWO teams... I think they'll be able to manage.

And it's great for the 4 BCS bowls, because now every year 2 of them are critical games in determining a national champ, and will certainly be more widely viewed.

I wouldn't be totally against a 6 team tourney with the top 2 getting a bye ala NFL conference tourneys, but I would be more than satisfied with an and-1 game. I don't see how the big schools lose so much money in this scenario.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='Master Shake' post='401947' date='Dec 6 2006, 07:22 AM']IMO that's all the playoff needs

2 teams = too few
8 teams = too many
4 teams = just right

I have yet to hear a coherent argument against this setup. For example, USC's loss would have likely knocked them out of the playoff, so how can you say it would regular season games meaningless? As for cutting into academics, it's ONE extra game for TWO teams... I think they'll be able to manage.

[b]And it's great for the 4 BCS bowls, because now every year 2 of them are critical games in determining a national champ, and will certainly be more widely viewed.[/b]

I wouldn't be totally against a 6 team tourney with the top 2 getting a bye ala NFL conference tourneys, but I would be more than satisfied with an and-1 game. I don't see how the big schools lose so much money in this scenario.[/quote]

I think you could even extend that to 3 of them. I don't think you necessarily have to add an extra game like this year to accomplish the plus one system.

Have 3 bowls the first of january, the 2 playoff ones, and then a fourth for the last BCS game. Then hold the fourth BCS game the next week.

So in other words, 3 BCS New years games, and then a fourth on the 8th as opposed to this year where the Fiesta Bowl basically gets two games.

That probably wouldn't happen though as you'd be taking away an extra game to profit on.

Archived