U.S. MILITARY needs to STOP using DEPLETED URANIUM !!!

Guest BlackJesus

Guest BlackJesus

[quote name='LoyalFanInGA' post='436336' date='Feb 3 2007, 01:16 AM'][b]I'm former Army, participated in this war[/b], got a Bronze Star, I've done the Airborne, Ranger, Pathfinder, Jumpmaster, Air Assault, Infantry Scout and lots of other 'Hooah' shit for 14 fucking years then decided enough was enough. My opinion...based upon nothing but my gut instinct...is that the war was started because of vindictiveness. W was in a position of authority to punish Saddam...and he did. He isn't clever enough to be any more Machevellian than to hand out an ass whoopin'. Meaning he can think, "I'm going to kick your ass," but he isn't smart enought to make that next leap to, "I'm going to kick your ass...for a profit." [b]Iraq is a distraction to the 'War on Terror' [/b][b]and I'm not going to participate...again. [/b][/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Hey maybe there is hope for the world after all .... good post LoyalFan .... [/b] :thumbsup: [/color]

[b]- now go cuddle Satan[/b] :ninja: [size=1]<-------- dawning my ambiguous ninja smiley in an effort to show that I was wrong about LoyalFan ... and that he is not a Satanic piece of shit like some of the others here desire to be [/size]

[quote name='LoyalFanInGA' post='436359' date='Feb 3 2007, 04:39 AM'][url="http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp150.html"]http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp150.html[/url]

Click the 6.8MB PDF file in the Toxicological Profile Content section

It's 462 pages of well researched, trustworthy infomation. Unless you don't trust the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, the Center for Disease Control, and the Department of Health and Human Services. They are controlled by The Man --> B) after all.

After we're all finished reading it, we can come back and insult each other with the same base of knowledge.[/quote]

I tried, but I fell asleep 3 times.

Maybe this is one for God to sort out. He has to have a better attention span than I do.

BZ

Guest LoyalFanInGA

[quote name='TheBZ' post='436439' date='Feb 3 2007, 12:46 PM']I tried, but I fell asleep 3 times.

Maybe this is one for God to sort out. He has to have a better attention span than I do.

BZ[/quote]
:2dedhorse:

I know it isn't the most exciting topic and reminds too much of inorganic chemistry... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//31.gif[/img]

Indulge me for a little while as I crunch some numbers and maybe I can shed some light on why I believe sources like the CDC and the WHO say a link between DU and cancer or birth defects doesn't exist, but I admit (to you BJ and BZ) DU could be the next Agent Orange.

Naturally occurring uranium is made up of 3 isotopes; U-234, U-235, and U238. We have U-238 in our bodies right now and we ingest a little each day.

Naturally occurring uranium is by weight 0.01% U-234, 0.72% U-235, and 99.27% U-238.

The radioactivity associated with U-234 is 48.9%, 2.2% with U-235, and 48.9% with U-238.

[i]This means that U-234's 1/100th of 1% of uranium's mass is producing 48.9% of it's radiation and the remaining 99.9% of mass is producing the remaining 51.1% of radiation.[/i]

U-234 is 20,000 times more radioactive as U-235 which is 6 times more radioactive as U-238, this means that U-234 is 120,000 times more radioactive than U-238.

Enriched uranium contains higher percentages of U-235 and U-234 with less U-238; depleted uranium is the opposite with a decreased percentage of U-235 and U-234 with more U-238.

So what do these numbers mean? A number without a reference is just a number, after all.

[b]Let me attempt to explain. I have a beer called U-238 and keep it at a frosty 33 degrees fahrenheit in my frig. It's a nice refreshing beverage. If I have another beer called U-234 and have to keep it at a temperature 120,000 times that of 33 degrees fahrenheit...( [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//26.gif[/img] [i]"carry the one..."[/i])...=3.86 million degrees fahrenheit. That's hotter than the surface of the sun. So while it is safe to drink the U-238, the U-234 will kill me.[/b]

Yes, that is an over-simplification, but you get the point. Turning salt water into safe drinking water is probably a better analogy, but not as comedic as the beer.

[b]Now this is where I start to become confused...I'm sure you'll want to pay attention.[/b] What are the final ratios of isotopes in US military grade DU? Because as I've just shown, that makes a big fucking difference. You have one bad quality control day and ... :1violin: Since the ratio of isotopes has been altered in DU, does it degrade differently than environmental uranium? How are the ratios of it's transformation products affected by the DU ratio? Given the half life of U-234, U-235, and U-238 are 244 thousand, 710 million, and 4.5 billion years respectively and given the unknown mass of DU used in Iraq, how long will it take the transformation products (thorium, radon, radium, among others) to appear in the environment? Given [i]"The National Research Council Committee on the Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiation BEIR IV report stated that ingesting uranium in food and water at the naturally occurring levels will not cause cancer or other health problems in people. However, based on the zero-threshold linear dose-response model (a conservative model that is inherently unverifiable and is intended to be used as an aid to risk benefit analysis and not for predicting cancer deaths), the BEIR IV committee calculated that the ingestion of an additional 1 pCi/day (0.0015 mg/day) of soluble natural uranium would lead to a fractional increase in the incidence rate of osteogenic sarcoma (bone cancer) of 0.0019. This means that over a period of 70 years (the nominal lifetime length), if everyone were exposed at that level, the number of bone cancer cases in a U.S. population of 250 million would increase from 183,750 to about 184,100"[/i] can the reports I'm hearing of cancers and birth defects in Iraq occuring at increased rates of 700%-1000% be true? :wuh:

Guest LoyalFanInGA

Check out this video

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMdrJHN-y8k&mode=related&search="]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMdrJHN-y8k...ted&search=[/url]

:ninja:

[quote name='LoyalFanInGA' post='436786' date='Feb 4 2007, 01:27 PM']Check out this video

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMdrJHN-y8k&mode=related&search="]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMdrJHN-y8k...ted&search=[/url]
:ninja:[/quote]
God that song sucked!
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='435632' date='Feb 1 2007, 10:12 AM'][b]You mean the issue where all reputable scientists agree .... and only ones paid by the Oil companies do not .... yeah it is like that ..... The only people who don't agree with DU's harm ... are people who are paid to represent the govts using it - or the producers of it. (Keep in mind these financial connections can usually be well hidden.) [/b]
[b]Not all issues deserve equal opposing views ... this is part of the Foxification of information where people come to believe that all issues require two diametrically opposing sides ..... Thus the water gets "muddied" and the people causing the harm get away with it (when we are left "confused").

[color="#0000FF"]The important thing to do with each issue is think:[/color]

[color="#0000FF"][size=3]"What motives would someone have in putting forth this opinion" ..... & "What do they gain by the information they put forth" .... [/b][/size][/color]

[u][b]= There is no financial gain to be made by people speaking out against DU[/u] .... but there is one to be made by the people who represent those making DU .... (especially because they will be sued out the ass) ..... also there is a gain to be made by the military because they want to continue to use bullets with DU because of their ability to pierce armor .... and they also don't want lawsuits and charges of war crimes brought against them. Keep in mind these are US troops as well who are saying that DU is giving them deformed kids ... we are also doing this to our own soldiers (who people like you claim to support).[/b]
[b]Well what phrase should I use for people who try to explain away the horror caused by DU ??? This shit is causing Frankenkids who looks like they fell out of the depths of hell ..... and it is being done with our tax money .... to children who have nothing to do with the conflicts. [/b][/quote]

lol

Bj to think that humans can change the planets climate..lol

global warming = liberal crying wolf

like bung said, there is science on both sides, that prove the point.

as for DU, we used it when I was in Iraq, never had any issues.

works great for tank rounds.

[quote name='rudi32' post='437132' date='Feb 5 2007, 04:03 AM']lol

Bj to think that humans can change the planets climate..lol

global warming = liberal crying wolf

like bung said, there is science on both sides, that prove the point.

as for DU, we used it when I was in Iraq, never had any issues.

works great for tank rounds.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Now if this isn't a piece of Satanic doo-doo, I don't know what is.[/b][/color]

:ninja:

Guest BlackJesus
[quote name='rudi32' post='437132' date='Feb 5 2007, 04:03 AM']Bj to think that humans can change the planets climate..lol

global warming = liberal crying wolf[/quote]

[b]Never underestimate the sheer earth shattering power of stupidity in one human being [/b]

[quote name='rudi32' post='437132' date='Feb 5 2007, 04:03 AM']as for DU, we used it when I was in Iraq, never had any issues.

works great for tank rounds.[/quote]

[b]see above [/b]

Archived