Wrangling doesn't faze Phillips

[quote][size=3][b]Wrangling doesn't faze Phillips[/b][/size]
Infielder's contract renewed, and that's fine with him

BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

SARASOTA, Fla. - The Reds got the last four of their one- to three-year players under contract Thursday.

Todd Coffey, Matt Belisle, Bobby Livingston and Gary Majewski signed. Meanwhile, Brandon Phillips' contract was renewed.

Renewals happen when the sides cannot reach an agreement. It's an option the club has but tries to avoid because it can lead to acrimony.

So, Brandon, are you ticked off at the organization?

"I'm happy with everyone," he said. "I'm good. I got a job."

Phillips, in fact, said he'd like to make Cincinnati his permanent baseball address. He appreciates the opportunity manager Jerry Narron and general manager Wayne Krivsky gave him last year.

"I want to get a long-term deal done," he said. "I love Wayne. I love Jerry. I want to stay here my whole career."

Phillips said that the Reds and his agent, Sam Levinson, are talking about a long-term deal.

Levinson is also Aaron Harang's agent. Harang signed a four-year, $36.5 million deal with the Reds in January.

What would Phillips do if he were given a similar deal?

"Jump for joy," he said. "Probably do a toe-touch."

The Reds could get Phillips signed for a lot less than Harang. Phillips will make $407,500 this season.

He's eligible for arbitration next year.

Krivsky said the Reds had had some discussions with Phillips' agent about a long-term deal.

"I don't want to get too deep into that (with the media)," Krivsky said. "We'll see."

Locking up young players long-term is key for small-market franchises. It was one of the things that helped Cleveland sustain success through the 1990s.

It would be somewhat risky in Phillips' case. Last year was the first time he spent the entire season in the big leagues. He had a good year. He hit .276 with 17 home runs, 75 RBI and 25 stolen bases. But he tailed off badly at the end, hitting .149 in September. But he played the month with a badly bruised left hand.

The Reds like Phillips' athleticism, upside and attitude.

"He knows he's going to play," Narron said. "He knows he can play. And he knows he's going to make a lot of money in this game."

Phillips is off to a good start this spring. He's hitting .353 and leads the Reds with three home runs and six RBI.

Phillips said he doesn't concern himself with the business side of baseball.

"I don't worry about it, to tell the truth," he said. "I didn't even know about it until today."

Phillips, 25, loves to play and has fun.

"I'll play for the minimum," he said. "It's all good."

Phillips came to the Reds in a trade with the Cleveland Indians April 7 of last year. He was a prospect who had fallen on hard times.

The Indians had designated him for assignment - they didn't want him anymore.

The Reds definitely want him. Renewing his contract was simply a business transaction.

"We tried to work it out," Krivsky said. "We respect their position. They respect ours."

Phillips said the same thing.

"I'm not upset with anybody," Phillips said.

PHILLIPS' STATISTICS

A look at Brandon Phillips' five-year major-league career:

SEASON TEAM G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB AVG
2002 Cle 11 31 5 8 3 1 0 4 3 6 0 .258
2003 Cle 112 370 36 77 18 1 6 33 14 77 4 .208
2004 Cle 6 22 1 4 2 0 0 1 2 5 0 .182
2005 Cle 6 9 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 .000
2006 Cin 149 536 65 148 28 1 17 75 35 88 25 .276
Total - 284 968 108 237 51 3 23 113 54 180 29 .245[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070309/SPT04/703090360/1062/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url]

Archived