Does Freel hustle too much?

[quote][size=3][b]Does Freel hustle too much?[/b]
Can Reds center fielder Ryan Freel abandon the recklessness?[/size]

BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

SARASOTA, Fla. - Call it the downside of hustle. Reds center fielder Ryan Freel plays at one speed - walls, left fielders and right fielders be damned.

Freel's play in Tuesday night's game against the Philadelphia Phillies in Clearwater was absolutely spectacular.

He raced into the left-center field gap and made a diving catch of a bolt by Aaron Rowand.

Great play. But the Reds came within an eyelash of a disaster less than a week from Opening Day.

Freel barely missed a collision with left fielder Adam Dunn. And he didn't avoid one at all with the wall. He hit the wall with his shoulder, then his head.

He was OK Wednesday, just very sore. His ribs were hurting on the right side. His back was sore near the shoulder on his left side.

But X-rays were negative.

Freel has been told to dial it back - at least in spring training.

"I've told him to try to play 80 percent," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "Maybe he was. If he was playing 100 percent, he really would have gotten hurt."

The Reds can joke about it because it turned out all right. But they know they're going to have to live with Freel's recklessness this season.

"In the back of my mind, I think I want to get out of (spring training) in one piece," Freel said. "But I don't think about it when I see a flyball."

Freel's all-out style is one of the reasons Ken Griffey Jr. was reluctant to make the switch from center field to right.

Griffey and Dunn are going to be a little gun-shy going into the gaps because Freel is basically a 5-foot-10, 184-pound missile out there.

"I'm not worried," Dunn said. "But we've got to get used to one another. Junior and I know how to communicate with one another. You have to communicate out there."

The Reds, of course, want Freel to go all out in the regular season.

But you have to pick your spots. Do the Reds want Freel running full speed into the wall when they're up 10 runs or down 10 runs in the eighth inning?

Probably not.

But telling him to take it easy doesn't work either. Tuesday's collision with the wall could have cost him a couple of months.

"When I went out there, I thought his shoulder was going to be dislocated," Narron said.

And Freel?

"That was fun to me," he said. "I had a great time doing it. It's hard for me to tone it down."

Freel's style has cost him a lot of playing time. He has averaged 117 games the last two years.

But it also has gotten him to the big leagues.

"I only know one way to play," Freel said.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070329/SPT04/703290368/1062/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url]

[size=3][quote][b]Strong feelings [/b]
Here's what Enquirer readers had to say about Ryan Freel in our online Opening Day survey:[/size]

"If he played at 100 percent instead of 125 percent, that would keep him healthy to play 160 games. ... Above-average glove, and I would love to see him play all positions."

"Charlie Hustle II. Who does not like to watch him play?"

"Although you gotta love the all-out attitude and hustle, it is a little tough on his body."

"Love this guy!!!!!! Plays hard and earns respect for his gritty play. Wish more ball players played with the gusto that he does."

"Excellent ball player; I'd like to see him used in a trade for pitching."

"Watered-down version of Pete."

"Solid - all the Reds need is eight more just like him: the Rose type."

"I wish he could play as hard as he does (which is what got him to the majors in the first place) without breaking down. He is my favorite active player!"[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070329/SPT04/703290368/1062/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url]

Guest schotzee
[quote name='Actium' post='464188' date='Mar 29 2007, 11:33 AM']No such thing as too much hustle--exhibit A, Craig Biggio[/quote]

Oh I agree.Don't deviate from your style if it's successful.Can't play being afraid to get hurt.

[quote name='schotzee' post='464202' date='Mar 29 2007, 11:09 AM']Oh I agree.Don't deviate from your style if it's successful.Can't play being afraid to get hurt.[/quote]

Freel is an exciting player to watch. Junior is so good he will still be one of the greats even with all his health problems. If he could have stayed healthy he may have been the best of all time.

Yeah, I think Freel plays too hard. I don't mind the occassional risk every now and then, but as often as he gets injured from plating too hard, he takes a decent bat out of the line-up (even though I think Josh Hamilton's bat is better). No matter what position Freel plays, he needs to tone it down a notch (give 110% instead of 125%).

Archived