Reds in NL Central cellar

[quote][size=3][b]Reds in NL Central cellar[/b]
They fall 10 games behind 1st-place Brewers in division[/size]
BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

To be 10 games out of first place on May 10 - as the Reds are - you have to find a lot of ways to lose.

The Reds are doing that.

Two errors by third baseman Edwin Encarnacion led to all three runs in the Houston Astros' 3-2 win over the Reds before a crowd of 16,278 at Great American Ball Park on Wednesday.

The Reds' sixth loss in their last seven games put them in last place - 10 games behind Milwaukee in the National League Central.

[b]"It seems like we're finding ways to lose," Reds manager Jerry Narron said[/b]. "We've got to find ways to win."

Encarnacion had four errors this season coming into the game.

"Tough day for me," he said. "The team lost the game because of me."

Matt Belisle (3-2) had one of his better starts of the season, going seven innings and allowing three runs on six hits.

Woody Williams (1-5) and two relievers held the Reds to an infield single over the last six innings. :pointlaff:

Encarnacion's first error came on a throw in the third inning that allowed Morgan Ensberg to reach base with two outs.

"It was a routine play," he said. "I don't know how I made that throw."

The key was that the error brought Reds killer Lance Berkman to the plate. Berkman hit his third home run in as many nights - and his 15th at Great American Ball Park, the most by any Reds opponent - and it was 2-0 Astros.

"That's his pitch," Belisle said. "Up and away. I wanted it to sink. It didn't."

The Reds threatened to score in the first and second innings and finally got it done in the third. Brandon Phillips led off with a triple and Adam Dunn followed with his 10th home run.

Encarnacion booted Adam Everett's hard groundball in the fourth inning, recovered and threw wildly to first.

"I was surprised I caught that ball," he said. "I threw with no balance."

The Reds intentionally walked Humberto Quintero to get to Williams, who singled Everett in to make it 3-2.

That's how it would end.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070510/SPT04/705100354/1071/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url]

Archived