Reds and padres #1

j.5000022

[quote name='CTA513' post='487619' date='May 17 2007, 12:54 AM']Padres vs. Arroyo in the 9th: single, single, bunt + Arroyo error = bases loaded and 0 outs, then a 3-2 walk on a questionable call.[/quote]

It really amazes me how stupid little things constantly bite this team in the ass every night. They find every way imaginable to lose a game. 2 nights ago they almost blew it on a balk of all things and last night 2 errors and a very questionable ball 4 to end the game. Arroyo does not deserve to lose a game where he gives up only 1 earned run...but then again if Dunn and Arroyo don't commit errors then the Reds probably win.

God this team frustrates me!!! :shakesfist: :shakesfist: :shakesfist: :shakesfist: :shakesfist:

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Reds inventing new ways to lose[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Arroyo walks in winning run in bottom of the ninth[/b][/size]

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Thursday, May 17, 2007

SAN DIEGO — Call it Creative Losing 101. If the Cincinnati Reds can't find a way to lose a baseball game, they'll invent one.

On Wednesday night in Petco Park, it was a walk-off walk — or in the eyes of pitcher Bronson Arroyo and everybody connected with things Reds, a walk-off strikeout.

With the scored tied in the bottom of the ninth, Bronson Arroyo had the bases loaded and no outs and he was 3-and-2 with San Diego rookie third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff.

Arroyo offered a tantalizing change-up, wishing for a strikeout, begging for a home-to-first double play. The pitch split the plate, about letter-high. Kouzmanoff took it.

Umpire Ed Rapuano called ball four, forcing in Khalil Greene from third base with the run that gave the Padres a 3-2 victory.

Arroyo walked toward home plate and said to Rapuano, "C'mon, give me a break."

Rapuano thought Arroyo's 129th pitch was too high to a kid hitting .163.

"He was swinging at everything all night and I was very surprised he took the pitch," said Arroyo. "I wanted to throw it right down the center of the plate and make it dip, which it did. He froze and I thought, 'Ha, ha, strikeout.' Then I didn't see anything and thought, 'What? Are you kidding me? Game over?' "

General manager Wayne Krivsky couldn't believe it, manager Jerry Narron couldn't believe it.

"That pitch was right down the middle," said Krivsky. "How could he miss that? What was he looking at? He probably got fooled because it was a change-up."

Said Narron, It looked pretty good. That's part of baseball."

Arroyo helped put himself into the bases-loaded mess after giving up back-to-back singles to open the ninth to Greene and Mike Cameron.

Josh Bard topped one and Arroyo tried to get the force at third on Greene but threw into the dirt for an error and everybody was safe, filling the bases.

"What really killed me was not throwing a freaking chest-high strike to (third baseman) Ryan Freel on that swinging bunt," said Arroyo. "I backed myself into a deep corner by not throwing a bullet to him.

"I might have rushed it because I wasn't sure how hard he was running and Freel was coming from a deep position and that made it worse because he couldn't get to the bag before I threw it. I threw him a sinker that was too low."

Said Narron, "Bronson is a good fielder, but he threw it low and Freel looked as if he got his feet tangled trying to get to the bag."

After scoring two runs in the first off Jake Peavy (5-1), the Reds started taking aim on their own feet.

After the Padres scored a run in the second on three straight singles by Cameron, Bard and Kouzmanoff, the Padres tied it in seventh on left fielder Adam Dunn's error.

Cameron singled off Freel's glove to open the inning. With one out, Kouzmanoff singled for the third time and the ball skipped past Dunn, enabling Cameron to score the tying run, 2-2.

"He might have overrun the ball a little bit and tried to get it in quickly and just missed it," said Narron of Dunn's error.

In addition to the two costly errors, the Reds were victimized by four double plays.

The first five batters in the Padres' lineup had only three hits, but six-seven-eight made it sticky for Arroyo with Cameron's three hits, Bard's hit and Kouzmanoff's three hits.

Arroyo's Mad Adventure into the ninth wasn't taxing on anything but his psyche, although he professed to see some light where none has been.

"I was fine, fresh as a daisy, because I threw so many change-ups it hadn't taken anything out of me," he said. "I had some easy innings in the second half so I was good for plenty more.

"I threw one away, Dunn misplayed one and the hit that bounced off Freel — all three were big and led to runs," Arroyo added. "Even though we lost, I felt we had a little more desire and fire than we've had in a long time. Felt as if we were in a dogfight. Guys really came to play tonight. It has been pretty bad around here for a while. Maybe this will jump start us into something."

They need more than a jump start. A resuscitator might help.

They've lost five of six on this trip (0-3 in Los Angeles, 1-2 in San Diego) and open a three-game series Friday in Cleveland, lugging a record of 12 losses in their last 15 games.[/quote]

Archived