Any one remember Michael Westbrook

Kochman

Westbrook cleared for cage match

THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Former Washington Redskins receiver Michael Westbrook received medical clearance yesterday to participate in a martial arts mixed cage match against Jarrod Bunch in Cleveland on Feb. 25.
Bernie Profato, executive director of the Ohio Athletic Commission, said an orthopedist who examined and X-rayed Westbrook in Arizona pronounced him healthy and able to fight. Westbrook has been training there.
Profato, whose organization is sanctioning the event, was concerned when he learned Westbrook had a small plate inserted following surgery for a broken neck during the 1998 season. But after hearing from Dr. Brian Shafer of the Phoenix Orthopedic Group, Profato said he is convinced the fight poses no risk.

"He X-rayed him and everything and said [Westbrook] can go," Profato said. "He said this guy is fit to do anything."
Westbrook, who came back from the neck surgery to have his best season in 1999 and played three years after that, said he never was worried he would not be permitted to fight.
"Not even a little bit," said Westbrook, who yesterday left for his hometown of Detroit, where he will hone his boxing skills at the famed Kronk Gymnasium. "It was all silly to me."
Profato, who said he is awaiting faxed results of Westbrook's exam, said both fighters will be examined by commission doctors as part of the usual, pre-bout routine. But he does not expect any new findings.
"I got a better chance of fighting than [Westbrook] has of not fighting," Profato said.
" Bob Cohn

HERES ANOTHER ARTICLE

Legendary boxing trainer Emanuel Steward said that he believes that former Washington Redskins and Colorado wide receiver Michael Westbrook could develop into a heavyweight boxing contender.

"If Michael had four, five, six fights under his belt, he would be taken seriously in the heavyweight division," said Steward on a conference call. "He has the mental toughness and physical strength to move into the heavyweight division."

Westbrook will meet former New York Giants first round draft pick and Michigan stickout Jarrod Bunch in a battle of former NFL players in the King of the Cage mixed martial arts competition in Cleveland, Ohio on February 25. The main event, dubbed PAYBACK, will premiere on a Pay-Per-View telecast on Sunday, March 6.

"We haven't had a new infusion of heavyweights into boxing since 1988 with Riddick Bowe and Lennox Lewis," added Steward. "Michael Westbrook at 220 pounds, with his athletic background, could be competitive. There is a void in the division, and he could be taken seriously."

Westbrook, well known for catching the famous Hail Mary pass from Kordell Stewart to give Colorado its memorable victory over Michigan, is a native of Detroit, and will be training at Emmanuel Steward's world renowned Kronk Gym in Detroit later this week. Steward has trained such champions as Tommy Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard, Lennox Lewis and Oscar De La Hoya.

Mixed martial arts is the combination of wrestling, judo, kickboxing and regular boxing. There are three five minute rounds with a one minute break, ending in either a submission, tap-out, knockout or judges decision.

Said Westbrook: "This is not a football game, it will be an intense mixed martial arts match. Am I nervous? Not at all. There is no nervousness. All it is for me is a challenge. That's life, life is a big challenge. I haven't been nervous in a long time."

In the co-feature, Eric "Butterbean" Esch, the King of the Four Rounders from Jasper, Alabama, will square off against Dan Severn of Michigan.

The fighting they are doing is a basically minor league UFC
I remember seeing this guy beat the living shit out of Stephen Davis. I thought he was a decent reciever when he put forth effort.

Archived