any way to recover deleted files?

ok, so im running xp and for some reason deleted a desktop folder containing shortcuts and several other folders full of old school work, research, to do lists, fitness routines, and just tons of shit all done in either ms word or notepad ...and while i can live without having them there was a lot of stuff in that folder i used to reference in school and in my personal life.

i accidentally moved this folder to the recycling bin and then emptied the bin without thinking. i have no recollection as to why i moved it to the recycling bin in the first place but nevertheless all of the files contained in this folder appear to be gone.

is there any way i can recover this folder and these files?

this all happened a couple of weeks ago and from what ive read that may have been my undoing as the computer may have already written over it, i have downloaded three freeware programs so far and with limited success have been able to find some of the file names i can recall but they have only been links that pointed to nowhere, no real files anywhere.

is there anything or any program that could help me recover these things that you could recommend?

i had just installed that freeware and was going to try it out tomorrow when i have more time

i thought about the system restore but was unsure if it would work... i cant think of anything i could go without that ive saved since then so i assume ill probably do that if all else fails

edit: to hell with it, i really dont feel like messing around with any more software if i dont have to. im just going to do the restore. is there any way to see recently modified or added programs or files so that i can save them or write down the modifications in order to bring the restore current?

Archived