No Wily Mo?

Guest Bengal_Smoov

Guest Bengal_Smoov
I haven't been paying much attention to the Reds, but I was wandering if Wily Mo was starting this year? He looked good replacing Griffey and he should improve with more playing time.

Also does anyone expect the Reds to not repeat last years performance? When will management go after an ace pitcher, don't they know pitching like defense win championships? Lastly, what's the over/under on the amount of games Griffey's going to play before he gets hurt? 20-25?

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='Mar 30 2005, 05:04 PM']I haven't been paying much attention to the Reds, but I was wandering if Wily Mo was starting this year?  He looked good replacing Griffey and he should improve with more playing time. 

Also does anyone expect the Reds to not repeat last years performance?  When will management go after an ace pitcher, don't they know pitching like defense win championships?  Lastly, what's the over/under on the amount of games Griffey's going to play before he gets hurt? 20-25?
[right][post="69705"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Are you really complaining about their pitching moves. They re-signed Paul Wilson (who would have had 15+ wins last year if not for the lousy bullpen).
They signed Milton (a solid pitcher) and Ortiz(mass potential). Their bullpen will be MUCH improved with Weber, Mercker, and Weathers. I think they are great moves that don't tie up all your money in a Mulder/Hudson/Santana

Guest oldschooler
He batted .258 and had 0 HR`s ...3 RBI`s

[url="http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cin/stats/cin_springtraining_stats.jsp"]http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...ining_stats.jsp[/url]

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='sean' date='Mar 30 2005, 06:38 PM']Are you really complaining about their pitching moves. They re-signed Paul Wilson (who would have had 15+ wins last year if not for the lousy bullpen).
They signed Milton (a solid pitcher) and Ortiz(mass potential). Their bullpen will be MUCH improved with Weber, Mercker, and Weathers. I think they are great moves that don't tie up all your money in a Mulder/Hudson/Santana
[right][post="69732"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I said sign an ace, not a bunch of solid guys. Now I see how Carl Linder fills Great American without changing much. Paul Wilson isn't going to get the Reds in the playoffs, time will tell though. i still like Wily Mo, every team needs a dominican.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='Mar 31 2005, 09:07 AM']I said sign an ace, not a bunch of solid guys.  Now I see how Carl Linder fills Great American without changing much.  Paul Wilson isn't going to get the Reds in the playoffs, time will tell though.  i still like Wily Mo, every team needs a dominican.
[right][post="69890"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Step by step my man. They've built up the rest of the pitching staff. If we are in the race at the trading deadline, we need to try to get an ace. New York doesn't have these troubles because of all the revenue they receive and they have a baseball lover as an owner. I would like to Reds to use the Yankee formula, but I honestly don't expect an owner to LOSE money. The Reds rarely fill the stadium anymore, but hopefully with all the renewed hope this year they will.

Wily Mo will be a stud soon, but right now he isn't better than what we already have.
One of the 4 outfeilders will probably be traded for an ace if we're in contention after the break.

[quote name='sean' date='Mar 31 2005, 10:47 AM']Step by step my man. They've built up the rest of the pitching staff. If we are in the race at the trading deadline, we need to try to get an ace. New York doesn't have these troubles because of all the revenue they receive and they have a baseball lover as an owner. I would like to Reds to use the Yankee formula, but I honestly don't expect an owner to LOSE money. The Reds rarely fill the stadium anymore, but hopefully with all the renewed hope this year they will.

Wily Mo will be a stud soon, but right now he isn't better than what we already have.
One of the 4 outfeilders will probably be traded for an ace if we're in contention after the break.
[right][post="69952"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

agree. i think willy mo could be used as bait for a good pitcher. if we want an ace, we'll have to trade kearns or dunn and i don't want to do that. willy mo is still unproven. he's like that guy in major league that can crush a fastball out of the park but can't hit the offspeed stuff.

the club made improvements in every area this offseason: 3B, starting pitchers and in the bull-pen. i think we will be able to make a run at the nl central. also, look for aaron harang to have a break out year, if he does and wilson, milton and ortiz can do their jobs, we will be tough to beat.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='sean' date='Mar 31 2005, 11:47 AM']Step by step my man. They've built up the rest of the pitching staff. If we are in the race at the trading deadline, we need to try to get an ace. New York doesn't have these troubles because of all the revenue they receive and they have a baseball lover as an owner. I would like to Reds to use the Yankee formula, but I honestly don't expect an owner to LOSE money. The Reds rarely fill the stadium anymore, but hopefully with all the renewed hope this year they will.

[b]One of the 4 outfeilders will probably be traded for an ace if we're in contention after the break.[/b]
[right][post="69952"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

So who would you trade? Dunn would get the most value on the trade market, Kearns is solid but yet to live up the hype, Griffey is well...Griffey is Griffey, and Wily Mo is a good young player, but very inconsistant. I would do the unpopular thing and trade Dunn, he's probably the only player who the Reds could actually get an ace for. Dunn is good but he strikes out way too much, besides Wily Mo has similar power. Griffey would also make sense to trade just to get his high salary number off the books, but his trade value isn't going to be enough to get a really good pitcher. I hope the Reds win on opening day, I'm surrounded by Mets fans. All of my supervisors and co-workers love the Mets, I hope I can rub our win in their faces(hopefully I won't get fired.)

Guest bengalrick
we can't trade right now... we have two outfielders that didn't play the whole season last year... if you ADD THEIR GAMES PLAYED TOGETHER!!! (kearns and jr)... if we stay healthy, we have a power guy on the bench and platooning for griffey... we need all 4 imo..

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='Mar 31 2005, 12:43 PM']So who would you trade?  Dunn would get the most value on the trade market, Kearns is solid but yet to live up the hype, Griffey is well...Griffey is Griffey, and Wily Mo is a good young player, but very inconsistant.  I would do the unpopular thing and trade Dunn, he's probably the only player who the Reds could actually get an ace for.  Dunn is good but he strikes out way too much, besides Wily Mo has similar power.  Griffey would also make sense to trade just to get his high salary number off the books, but his trade value isn't going to be enough to get a really good pitcher.  I hope the Reds win on opening day, I'm surrounded by Mets fans.  All of my supervisors and co-workers love the Mets, I hope I can rub our win in their faces(hopefully I won't get fired.)
[right][post="69987"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Last year before Kearns' hand injury, Lance McAllister talked to an unnamed scout who intimated that Kearns is much more highly regarded than Dunn. He has great defense, bats for average, doesn't strike out a lot, and has pop. He would bring the most on trade, but you would also lose a lot.

edit
I would prefer Wily Mo to show some of his potential and trade him.

Guest Claptonrocks
An ace huh??? Well our ace may turn out to be Wilson, Milton or Ortiz...
give me a starter that can keeep it close and turn it over to the bullpen.
the Reds have upgraded the bullpen hopefully....
The Cubs had an excellent rotation last year woth 4 potential aces and no bullpen to speak of... Hence to world series as usual...

Guest BengalBacker
If Kearns can stay healthy, he'll be one of the best all around players in the game. Adam Dunn hit 46 home runs last year and walked 108 times. I don't care if he set the record for strikeouts. Pena will get lots of playing time even if Griffey can stay healthy. Leave the outfield alone. It's our strength. I'd play Freel over Jimenez at 2nd. Should have kept Estalella.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bengal_Smoov
Going home now to watch on ESPN, maybe we trade Wily Mo for Kerry Woods. Woods is having problems now so his stock is low, Wily Mo just blasted a 500 footer, and the Cubs need a homerun hitter after trading Sosa. Wily Mo is a young, steriod-free Sosa, that's what we could tell the Cubs at least.

Archived