Hobson's Choice: All backers all the time
5/2/2005 - What is the latest with Khalid Abdullah (injury wise) and how much do you think he contributes to the Bengal’s youthful linebacker corps at this point? Does he have the speed and savvy to convert to SS?
I personally see him as a fast, strong, and very talented player with a nose for the football that may be versatile enough to play other positions. Please opine.
Jim from Walland, TN
JIM: We probably won’t see Abdullah until the first day of training camp and it could be at any of the three linebacker spots. You guys have to start believing Marvin when he says something, so believe it when it comes to linebackers playing safety.

Just after the draft was completed a week ago, Lewis made a pretty clear statement about moving to safety one of those young, light, and fast backers that he has drafted like Abdullah, Caleb Miller, and Landon Johnson.

”I don’t see a linebacker who can play safety in the NFL very well,” Lewis said. “He can line up back there and you can write on your depth chart strong safety by his name and feel good about it and someone else will be standing up here next year like last time.”

That might have been a reference to either Lamont Thompson or JoJuan Armour, big safeties from the past regime. But, whatever it was, it showed that Lewis is sticking by his belief that he won’t sacrifice coverage ability for size and that he wants two-way safeties and that his linebackers are linebackers, period.

You figure that has to be one of the reasons they didn’t go near Michigan safety Ernest Shazor. They had four chances to draft him on the second day, and all day to sign him Sunday, so you have to conclude they didn’t think his 6-3, 225-pound size would be much use out of the box.

The 6-2 Abdullah, drafted at about 220 pounds, has beefed up to 235 pounds, looks terrific, and insists he has maintained the speed that made him a special teams demon as a rookie. He says they can put him at any of the three spots, and while he seems more designed for the weak side, before the injury he looked to be agile enough and big enough to play the strong. And, he’s about the same size as middle backer Landon Johnson. Look for him to be back up a couple of spots, maybe play some in nickel, and be a special teams staple.

We’ll see if he’s lost any of that speed and athleticism in the healing of the dislocated ankle. He says he can practice now and that he is able to run full tilt on it, but that the trainers won’t let him on the field until training camp.

And Abdullah know what that means.

“That’s exactly a year,” Abdullah said. “I broke it the first Thursday of camp, the day before the intrasquad scrimmage. There’s no need to rush it. Once camp starts, I shouldn’t have any problems because I can do a lot right now.”

Found it at Bengals.com enjoy

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='May 4 2005, 06:33 PM']He'd be 3x better than Herring...
[right][post="88303"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

U realy cant read can you??

[quote]”I don’t see a linebacker who can play safety in the NFL very well,” Lewis said. “He can line up back there and you can write on your depth chart strong safety by his name and feel good about it and someone else will be standing up here next year like last time.”[/quote]

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='BadassBengal' date='May 4 2005, 06:33 PM']He'd be 3x better than Herring...
[right][post="88303"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

A guy with 10 NFL career tackles, 16 non starting games of total experience, who hasn't played a snap of football since December of of 2003, and never lined up as a safety.... I'll stop there. Herring knows the position, the system, the coaches, and has had a full offseason to contour his body to the position.

Shut up, you douchebag. You are bad, a serious ass, and a Bengals fan. That doesn't mean you know a damn thing about football.

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='mongoloido' date='May 4 2005, 05:45 PM']A guy with 10 NFL career tackles, 16 non starting games of total experience, who hasn't played a snap of football since December of of 2003, and never lined up as a safety.... I'll stop there. Herring knows the position, the system, the coaches, and has had a full offseason to contour his body to the position.

Shut up, you douchebag. You are bad, a serious ass, and a Bengals fan. That doesn't mean you know a damn thing about football.
[right][post="88315"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

Guest #22
[quote name='mongoloido' date='May 4 2005, 06:45 PM']Shut up, you douchebag. You are bad, a serious ass, and a Bengals fan. That doesn't mean you know a damn thing about football.
sig material.

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='mongoloido' date='May 4 2005, 05:45 PM']A guy with 10 NFL career tackles, 16 non starting games of total experience, who hasn't played a snap of football since December of of 2003, and never lined up as a safety.... I'll stop there. Herring knows the position, the system, the coaches, and has had a full offseason to contour his body to the position.

What the fuck is your deal, dude? You're an ass. I don't like Herring. So what? People don't like TJ. People don't like PW. People don't like KW. At least I provided some sort of stats to back up my claims, not just shit like, "well, a player spit on him, so he must have done something to piss him off, so i donts like him!" I don't see you calling people a douchebag and shit then. YOU'RE an ass for trying to call ME out for my fucking opinion. Get off my back, dude. Herring has had 8 years to contour his body to the position. I've heard from MULTIPLE people that on that "great Ravens defense" that he played SS. Look at his stats then! He hasn't shown me anything AT ALL. We took our chances on rookies on MANY spots last season. I doubt that anyone we pick out WOULDN'T be able to live up the stats he had last season. If you want to build a good defense with quick, strong, YOUNG players, HERRING is not the player you want starting at SS! Now how bout you shut the hell up and respect my damn opinion [b]FOR ONCE [/b] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img]

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='BadassBengal' date='May 4 2005, 07:30 PM']What the fuck is your deal, dude? You're an ass. I don't like Herring. So what? People don't like TJ. People don't like PW. People don't like KW. At least I provided some sort of stats to back up my claims, not just shit like, "well, a player spit on him, so he must have done something to piss him off, so i donts like him!" I don't see you calling people a douchebag and shit then. YOU'RE an ass for trying to call ME out for my fucking opinion. Get off my back, dude. Herring has had 8 years to contour his body to the position. I've heard from MULTIPLE people that on that "great Ravens defense" that he played SS. Look at his stats then! He hasn't shown me anything AT ALL. We took our chances on rookies on MANY spots last season. I doubt that anyone we pick out WOULDN'T be able to live up the stats he had last season. If you want to build a good defense with quick, strong, YOUNG players, HERRING is not the player you want starting at SS! Now how bout you shut the hell up and respect my damn opinion [b]FOR ONCE [/b] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img]
[right][post="88374"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

LOL. That's awesome. When you poke him, he flies off the handle just like a real adolescent... Okay, hombre. Show me one shred of a statistic that backs up your asinine claim that Abdullah would be three times the safety that Herring is. Do that and I will attempt to respect your opinion.

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='May 4 2005, 07:30 PM']What the fuck is your deal, dude? You're an ass. I don't like Herring. So what? People don't like TJ. People don't like PW. People don't like KW. At least I provided some sort of stats to back up my claims, not just shit like, "well, a player spit on him, so he must have done something to piss him off, so i donts like him!" I don't see you calling people a douchebag and shit then. YOU'RE an ass for trying to call ME out for my fucking opinion. Get off my back, dude. Herring has had 8 years to contour his body to the position. I've heard from MULTIPLE people that on that "great Ravens defense" that he played SS. Look at his stats then! He hasn't shown me anything AT ALL. We took our chances on rookies on MANY spots last season. I doubt that anyone we pick out WOULDN'T be able to live up the stats he had last season. If you want to build a good defense with quick, strong, YOUNG players, HERRING is not the player you want starting at SS! Now how bout you shut the hell up and respect my damn opinion [b]FOR ONCE [/b] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img]
[right][post="88374"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

We went with rookies at alot of position due to injures....... another dumbass statement What do u expect people to when u write all this stupid shit without thinking???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Please man i am not knocking u for not liking herring i personaly dont like him either but think before u speak? we argued in that thread for 20 minutes.. and u admitted pretty much that everyone else was right just think man..

AND U HAVENT GIVEN US ANYTHING TO RESPECT JUST ALOT OF STUPID STATEMENTS.... get it right man you dont demand respect you fucking earn it by being intelegent and having A small << we don't ask for much>> idea of what ur talking about..

Guest BadassBengal

[quote name='mongoloido' date='May 4 2005, 06:37 PM']LOL. That's awesome. When you poke him, he flies off the handle just like a real adolescent... Okay, hombre. Show me one shred of a statistic that backs up your asinine claim that Abdullah would be three times the safety that Herring is. Do that and I will attempt to respect your opinion.
[right][post="88385"][/post][/right][/quote]

Of course I was BULLSHITTING when I posted that. It was a mere expression used to show how much I think Herring sucks. And yes, I think Herring sucks. And [b]YOU'RE [/b]talking about [b]ME[/b] flying off the handle? Is this a joke?

I said: "He'd be 3x better than Herring..."

THEN you said: Shut up, you douchebag. You are bad, a serious ass, and a Bengals fan. That doesn't mean you know a damn thing about football."

:huh:
If I flew off the handle, then you just flat out broke the bitch.

Guest mongoloido

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='May 4 2005, 07:41 PM']Of course I was BULLSHITTING when I posted that. It was a mere expression used to show how much I think Herring sucks. And yes, I think Herring sucks. And [b]YOU'RE [/b]talking about [b]ME[/b] flying off the handle? Is this a joke?

I said: "He'd be 3x better than Herring..."

THEN you said: Shut up, you douchebag. You are bad, a serious ass, and a Bengals fan. That doesn't mean you know a damn thing about football."

:huh:
If I flew off the handle, then you just flat out broke the bitch.
[right][post="88395"][/post][/right][/quote]

I have wit and charm. It makes all the difference.

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='May 4 2005, 07:41 PM'][b]If I flew off the handle, then you just flat out broke the bitch.[/b]
[right][post="88395"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

HAHAHAHAHA this shit is just so funny....

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

Now i am just laughing

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='mongoloido' date='May 4 2005, 06:43 PM']I have wit and charm. It makes all the difference.
[right][post="88397"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Oh, I see now. Riiiiigggghhhhtttt.....

Guest BadassBengal

[quote name='#22' date='May 4 2005, 06:25 PM'][right][post="88369"][/post][/right][/quote]
Nice sig. :angry:

Guest BadassBengal

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='May 4 2005, 07:31 PM']this thread sucks.
[right][post="88438"][/post][/right][/quote]

So does your vacuum :o

Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='May 4 2005, 07:32 PM']So does your vacuum  :o
[right][post="88439"][/post][/right][/quote]

so does your mom.

Archived