Hue Jackson says getting shut out falls on him

Hue Jackson says getting shut out falls on him
Posted by Josh Alper on October 21, 2014, 6:59 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjj

AP

The Bengals gained 135 yards on offense against the Colts last Sunday, the franchise’s lowest total in a game contested by the first string since the perfect storm that pitted a Bengals team quarterbacked by Akili Smith against the 2000 Ravens defense.

When you’re in the same sentence as that kind of futility, things have gone very wrong. Offensive coordinator Hue Jackson said Monday that the blame for the offense’s inability to block, run or throw in the 27-0 loss should fall on his shoulders.

“All those things you just mentioned falls at my responsibility, making sure that we’re on top of everything, and honestly I don’t think I did a very good job of that,” Jackson said, via Paul Dehner of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Jackson said that the offensive showing was not “who we are,” but Dehner points out that the losing effort was both extreme and in line with other performances this season. The offense has sparkled in games against poor defenses from Tennessee and Carolina, but they settled for field goals for much of the day against the Ravens and did almost nothing on offense against the Patriots until the game was out of hand.

The Ravens, Patriots and Colts are the best defenses that Cincinnati has faced this season, so it appears that part of who the Bengals are is a team that has a hard time getting in the end zone against good defenses. Plenty of teams are in that group, of course, but recent playoff memories don’t provide much solace about the offense’s ability to step it up against the toughest opposition.

A strong outing against Baltimore in Week Eight would provide some contrary evidence for a team trying to win for the first time since September.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/21/hue-jackson-says-getting-shut-out-falls-on-him/

Archived