Antique South Bend lathe project...

Numbers

Found a perfectly good lathe project for a great price. Almost immediately, after a few trial cuts, I started tearing it down for refurbishment. I put almost everything on hold for the playoffs but we know how that went.

The history of a South Bend lathe is well documented. I ordered the card which was recorded with the serial number, to whom it was ordered, final destination, etc... As a bonus I received the card which was recorded for the motor.

It is a 1937 South Bend lathe ordered by a company in North Carolina and destined to the CCC Civilian Conservation Corp at Fort Bragg. After removing multiple layers of paint I settled on a shade of Sherman Williams Gray paint with a special blend to replicate the original gray. I suppose I could have left it an old dark style of olive drab green but I felt this machine has more than served it's time in the service of our country. It's a work in progress so excuse the poor photography.

Note: I replaced all the felt oil wicks with new replacements. I also have a restoration manual. The manual is simply a guide and not the standard. I've been adding new pictures to it and some new directions. Not everything is the same from year to year in other words.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived