Bush, blacks and the GOP

Guest bengalrick

Guest bengalrick
[url="http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20050818-083858-3881r.htm"]washingtontimes.com[/url]

[b]Bush, blacks and the GOP[/b]

By Harry Jackson
August 19, 2005

During the last 12 months, much has been said about the role of the African-American community in American politics. [b]As a swing group that has historically voted as a unit, blacks have had a disproportionate influence on national politics throughout most of the 20th century.[/b] In the new millennium, however, the role of African Americans is still being defined.
Democrats and Republicans alike often sound "preachy" in their discussions with blacks. [b]Hypothetical solutions and "if I were you" speeches lost their luster years ago. Republicans often argue that the most severe problems with black America arise out of the brokenness of its families and its internal drift for a moral foundation or historic Christian values.[/b]
[b]While these statements are true, just saying "Cosby is right" will not reverse trends that have been accelerated by wrong-headed policies of the past.[/b] Further, noting that a lack of personal responsibility is at the core of the black community applauds keeping blacks from any socio-economic strata.
Conversely, [b]Democrats seem to hide behind the concept that institutional racism (a term coined in the '70s), along with societal ills, conspire against black achievement. They would add that lynching, hate crimes and racially based judicial "double standards" have turned the American dream into a vivid, deeply wrenching nightmare for many blacks. Blacks nod knowingly as such statements are made, while gazing in painful despair at the lack of follow-through from the Democratic party.[/b]
Monday, July 25 was a watershed moment for me. I met with the president of the United States in a small meeting with other leading African-American community activists and religious leaders. The efforts listed below will have a strong appeal to the "New Black Church" that is emerging in America.
This new black church has a disproportionate number of megachurches that are doing very meaningful work in their communities and around the world.
They long to see the evangelical social agenda expanded to include social justice, not simply to focus on it alone. President Bush's brilliant phrase "compassionate conservatism" still resonates in the hearts and minds of black leaders. In fact, many Texans believe that Mr. Bush actually picked up the mantra of the faith-based initiative from Dr. Tony Evans, a prominent black preacher from Dallas.
The focus of the meeting with Mr. Bush had five major emphases:
[b][i]First, Medicare drug benefit[/i][/b]: The president mentioned the Medicare drug prescription benefit which will help 42 million Americans. This kind of practical action sits well with concerned black leaders because [b]their constituents are disproportionately affected by the inequities in the health care system. Recent polls have shown that the black community has become skeptical of the president's social security reform. I am convinced that part of this concern has been anchored in the fear of change and awareness that the health care is a pressing need for those at or above the poverty line.[/b]
[b][i]Second, corporate funds for faith based groups[/i][/b]: The president announced a White House summit which will be held in March of 2006 to discuss [b]removing barriers which prevent faith-based organizations from receiving corporate and foundations funds. This summit has the potential of allowing the black community's most adept social entrepreneurs access to income streams that can multiply their effectiveness in the community.[/b]
[b][i]Third, compassionate work in Africa[/i][/b]: The president's ideas about Africa are very refreshing. In the past, blacks have had the distinct impression that any crisis in Europe had weight. Africa's dilemmas, however, was never deemed urgent enough to address. Mr. Bush and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice are changing that perception in the following ways:
• [b]The attack on malaria[/b]: The President has taken the lead with the G8 summit members to propose investment of $1.2 billion on a major malaria prevention and treatment program that should reduce malaria deaths by 50 percent over the next five years.
• [b]The HIV/AIDS treatment in Africa[/b]: It was especially impressive that Ambassador Tobias was in the meeting. Two hundred and thirty thousand Africans are now receiving these anti-retroviral drugs. These folks are experiencing something called the "Lazarus effect." As the medicines begin to improve the quality of life of these infected persons, their family, friends and neighbors take the report of this medical "resurrection" to their community.
• [b]The Sudan conflict[/b]: Miss Rice reported on her most recent trip to the Sudan. I was especially impressed with her genuine concern about the treatment of Sudanesewomen.Shealso mentioned the Chinese have been protective of the Sudanese in the U.N. Security Council meetings because of their dependence of various Africa states for raw materials and resources.
[b]If President Bush continues to move with boldness into areas like these, he will attract greater and greater support for himself and the Republican party from the African-American community. [/b]

Bishop Harry Jackson is senior pastor of Hope Christian Church in College Park. He is also chairman of High-Impact Leadership Coalition, which drafted the Black Contract with America on Moral Values.

i want to add, that i am on the conservative side of this issue (bet you didn't know that huh) but at the same time, its time for me to step up and say that though i believe what i think is true, its not the right message... or at least, can't be the only message... i also don't think that looking at the past helps anything either (the democratic view)... i want to say that realizing that the "bill cosby" approach won't work, unless the african americans also see the progress... extreme liberals seem to hate condi rice and aren't fond of other republican african americans, but they are extreme.... extreme republicans don't like people that aren't their own race, and i don't expect democrats to try to appeal to them... why should rep's appeal to the extreme left??

my point is, i beleive my message is right, but looking at the situation is the sense of "if i were you" is not right... i'm not smoov or badass or other black folks on this board... i can't speak for them, nor do i know what they go through... i say that i don't see racism, but thats b/c i'm not racist... but if i were black, i'd have a different perception of it, i'm sure... i am guilty of saying "lets stop talking about this and it will go away" but after reconsidering it, i'm talking out of my ass... instead of trying to ignore it, maybe we should confront it... lets face it, african americans stick together... that is a great trait honestly, but at the same time, if 90% of african americans vote for the same party, then the dem's don't have to "honor" your vote, b/c they are going to get it... people are all scared b/c bush recieved something like 13% of blacks votes, up from 8%... big fucking deal... until republicans start appealing to the african americans, we are letting them down, b/c unless someone is fighting for their vote, and winning it, there won't be any more changes...

i'm not talking about changing so that african americans get higher benefits, lower taxes or whatever b/c they are black... that isn't what should happen... most on here know that i don't believe in handouts, b/c it helps nobody imo... what i'm talking about is tackeling the real problems... helping the lower class right now b/c that is where the help is needed... if we help the lower class get off their feet, then they will turn to be a majority of the middle class... that is what is needed, and it helps everybody for that to happen...

NO MORE PREACHING, we need results: is the overall tone of this post, i want to get acrossed... who's w/ me??

IMO, the key is to take a hard look at what happened to the Civil Rights Movement after MLK was assassinated. A lot of these folks became whores, equal opportunity money-grabbers and power-mongers.

The Moonification of the Civil Rights Movement is just the most recent inflection in this sad process.

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Homer_Rice' date='Aug 19 2005, 02:49 PM']IMO, the key is to take a hard look at what happened to the Civil Rights Movement after MLK was assassinated. A lot of these folks became whores, equal opportunity money-grabbers and power-mongers.

The Moonification of the Civil Rights Movement is just the most recent inflection in this sad process.
[right][post="133825"][/post][/right][/quote]

great point homer...

i agree w/ your perception that the main african american leaders are power hungry and only looking to keep that power... therefore, they always spew things that make them pissed off about the past... i'm just reaching here, trying to figure out a way that blacks can recieve [b]equal[/b] treatment... not better treatment and extra benefits and certainly not worse benefits and treatment...

i hope i am reading into your answer the way you intended... your a pretty complex dude and i sometimes miss your points... but MLK had "a dream" and that dream wasn't getting help from affirmative action... his dream was to live in peace in and harmany as AMERICANS... not black and white americans...

the key seems to be to help the low class... not minorities, but the lower class... i don't have a great idea on how to do this, but i'm sure homer could expand on this a bunch... i think that one thing that needs to happen in both parties, is black politicans need to have real power... i can say whatever i want and say things like i am in this thread, but in a public forum as a politician, a white man gets crushed by comments that refer to african americans... jesse jackson, al sharpton and others that are powerful african american leaders, would crush them like a bug... if african americans start saying it, those fools will still spew their hate, but less people will listen... that is one reason why many african americans are starting to think differently of these types of people imo...

what do you think homer... am i on the right track to asking the right questions (which in turn, leads to better answers) ? i got that (right questions) from you btw :)

Guest BlackJesus
[img]http://freedomrider.blogspot.com/Bush%20with%20kids%20in%20St.%20Louis.jpg[/img]

[b]Girl:[/b] [i]"My Daddy says your a Dickhead mother fucker"[/i]

MLK would have made an excellent president; that potential within his character was part of the reason he was murdered.

Bishop Jackson is one of the leaders of the tendency people call the "christian right." That's more important than the racial composition of his church, imo.

He's right about this, blacks have been [i]used[/i] as a wedge in political affairs, whether it be as voters or as a matter of policy focus (e.g. Voting Rights Act, etc.)

Rick, I think you are right, it is about having a prosperous society on a wide scale. People always use "differences" as scapegoats during tough times, it's less pronounced when times are good.

The question is: which policies will create prosperity?

Game on in 15 minutes. Who Dey!

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Aug 19 2005, 03:28 PM'][img]http://freedomrider.blogspot.com/Bush%20with%20kids%20in%20St.%20Louis.jpg[/img]

[b]Girl:[/b] [i]"My Daddy says your a Dickhead mother fucker"[/i]
[right][post="133874"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://www.tailofthedragon.com/slayers/license/lmfao.jpg[/img]

Archived