Griffey done for the season?

Guest BengalBacker

Guest BengalBacker
Griffey may be done for season
Reds center fielder's foot appears to be worse than team is saying
By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | The team says Ken Griffey Jr.'s injury is a strained right foot and he is day-to-day, but it is more serious than that, according to a source with firsthand knowledge who asked not to be named.

The Cincinnati Reds center fielder actually pulled part of a tendon off the bone, "Potentially a serious situation, potentially a season-ending injury," the source said.

Griffey, though, wants to play, wants to finish the season, so the team plans to accommodate him, if it can.

For the next three days, the foot will be treated with anti-inflammatories and Griffey will undergo rehab. After Thursday's off day, Griffey's situation will be evaluated Friday morning to see what the situation is.

Griffey might be able to pinch hit, might be able to play, "But if the tendon tears completely off the bone his season is over," the source said.

As it is, Griffey, 35, is going to have arthroscopic surgery on his left knee after the season, as well as surgery to fix a hole in his leg left over from his hamstring surgery last year that seeps. And his foot tendon will have to be repaired.

The injury is similar to one Griffey sustained on the same foot two years ago, a partial tear, and at the time the tendon was sewn back onto the bone.

Until he injured the foot rounding second base Sunday in Atlanta, Griffey had played 128 of the team's 138 games and none of the game's he missed were due to injury.

Before Tuesday's game, Griffey was asked about his injury and he said, "I'm waiting to have the doctor check it out. We're using contrast — ice and stimulation, ice and stimulation, trying to get the swelling to go down. It's still sore."

He is hitting .301 with 35 homers and 92 RBIs and is the favorite for the Comeback Player of the Year Award.

Guest John Stofa

Man, what a depressing article. I love Junior and I hope this isn't that serious. But it doesn't sound good. He couldn't possibly have had worse luck than he's had since he came home to Cincy. :(

Guest oldschooler
Man what the fuck is up with him tearing muscles off
the bone ?

That`s twice in 2 years now !

I hope it isn`t anything serious...the Reds season
is over basically...so I wouldn`t risk making it worse.
I just hope he can come back AGAIN next year...

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Sep 7 2005, 11:06 AM']Wow what a surprise.
Reds should have traded them while they could of.
[right][post="143662"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

LOL

Ahem

STFU DAN!

Griffey will retire a red, and enter cooperstown wearing a Reds Cap.

[quote name='The Scales' date='Sep 7 2005, 02:25 PM']LOL

Ahem

STFU DAN!
Griffey will retire a red, and enter cooperstown wearing a Reds Cap.
[right][post="143761"][/post][/right][/quote]

:lol: :lol:

Yeah I guess that is more important that having a shot at the playoffs, with reliable players whose seasons won't end early every year.

Guest Claptonrocks
Griff is day to day.. no tearing of the bone..rumor thats all.
Why trade the best player on the team this year?
He keeps himself in shape he'll be productive for 3 or 4 more years.
Id rather see Dunn go.. get more for him....

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Sep 7 2005, 08:24 PM'] :lol:   :lol:

Yeah I guess that is more important that having a shot at the playoffs, with reliable players whose seasons won't end early every year.
[right][post="144083"][/post][/right][/quote]

Name one team that trades away their BEST PLAYER
just to have "a shot" at the playoffs...that`s right there
is none...they ADD players to get "a shot"...

Guest Claptonrocks
Your right about Oakland but it seems they dealt one too many starters in the offseason.... Billy Beane is good at staying within his budget though and keeping them in the hunt.

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Sep 8 2005, 10:35 AM']The Oakland A's come to mind.
[right][post="144392"][/post][/right][/quote]

They`re the ONLY team that comes to mind...
They came to my mind after I typed it... :blush:

OK smarty...name a team BESIDES the A`s...
that`s right...there is NONE :P

My point was that New York, Boston, St Louis, Atlanta
and all the other perennial playoff teams don`t do it...

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Sep 8 2005, 12:35 PM']The Oakland A's come to mind.
[right][post="144392"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Good call Dan, Billy Beane is a kick ass G.M. but they can't trade junior I won't allow it.

Jr will get his ring here in Cincy....Just gimme an Ace or Two.....

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='The Scales' date='Sep 8 2005, 03:23 PM']Good call Dan, Billy Beane is a kick ass G.M. but they can't trade junior I won't allow it.

Jr will get his ring here in Cincy....Just gimme an Ace or Two.....
[right][post="144529"][/post][/right][/quote]

how many world series rings does billy beane have again?? :rolleyes:

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Sep 8 2005, 03:18 PM']how many world series rings does billy beane have again?? :rolleyes:
[right][post="144567"][/post][/right][/quote]

He trades players and gets "a shot" at the Playoffs
though Rick...:roll:

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='oldschooler' date='Sep 8 2005, 04:21 PM']He trades players and gets "a shot" at the Playoffs
though Rick...:roll:
[right][post="144569"][/post][/right][/quote]

i forgot... the playoffs are the only thing that counts :blink:

:lol:

[quote name='oldschooler' date='Sep 8 2005, 04:21 PM']They`re the ONLY team that comes to mind...
They came to my mind after I typed it... :blush:
OK smarty...name a team BESIDES the A`s...
that`s right...there is NONE :P
My point was that New York, Boston, St Louis, Atlanta
and all the other perennial playoff teams don`t do it...
[right][post="144528"][/post][/right][/quote]

Yeah but if you expect the Reds to do it like the Yanks and Red Sox do it, then you are going to be waiting a long time.

Even Atlanta has gotten rid of their "stars" such as Sheffield, Brian Jordan, Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux.

The Reds are going to have to model a team like the As.

The Cleveland Indians have followed that model and are currently becoming contenders. As of this post they are ahead of the Yankees in the wild card spot. They traded away players like Colon and Roberto Alomar and in turn got players like Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Sep 9 2005, 11:44 AM']Yeah but if you expect the Reds to do it like the Yanks and Red Sox do it, then you are going to be waiting a long time.

Even Atlanta has gotten rid of their "stars" such as Sheffield, Brian Jordan, Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux.

The Reds are going to have to model a team like the As.

The Cleveland Indians have followed that model and are currently becoming contenders. As of this post they are ahead of the Yankees in the wild card spot. They traded away players like Colon and Roberto Alomar and in turn got players like Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee.
[right][post="145001"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

No I don`t expect them to do it "exactly" like the Yanks and Red Sox.
I just expect them to keep their best players and ADD GOOD pitching.
They are half way there...no need to start over.

• 2 weeks later...
Holding on to Junior really paid off this season. They should have traded him to the White Sox when they had the chance. I guess you can always count on the Reds to make poor decisions. I'm sure they will keep Junior and watch him struggle with injuries for the rest of his career. The White Sox were probably the last team dumb enough to take a risk on him, and the Reds passed. Oh well I guess some of you, who actually like the Reds are happy.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Sep 22 2005, 08:58 PM']Holding on to Junior really paid off this season. They should have traded him to the White Sox when they had the chance. I guess you can always count on the Reds to make poor decisions. I'm sure they will keep Junior and watch him struggle with injuries for the rest of his career. The White Sox were probably the last team dumb enough to take a risk on him, and the Reds passed. Oh well I guess some of you, who actually like the Reds are happy.
[right][post="155326"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

oh, actually it was a good decision imo... its not like griffey is not going to be productive next year... he is said to be back for spring training... we can sign some pitching in free agency... there isn't another griffey to patrol the outfield...

Archived