Gretzky knew of gambling ring

[b]Report: Gretzky knew about gambling ring[/b]
[i]ESPN.com news services[/i]

Wayne Gretzky knew about a gambling ring involving his wife and assistant coach, the Newark Star-Ledger has reported, citing law enforcement officials who utilized state wiretaps.

The Star-Ledger reported in Thursday's editions that there is no evidence that Gretzky placed bets, but investigators are looking into whether his wife, Janet Jones, placed them for him.

Gretzky has said that he had no knowledge of the gambling ring.

"The reality is, I'm not involved, I wasn't involved and I'm not going to be involved," Gretzky said Tuesday. "Am I concerned for both of them? Sure, there's concern from me. I'm more worried about them than me."

Law enforcement officials told the New Jersey newspaper that Jones bet $500,000 in recent weeks, including $75,000 in Super Bowl wagers.

Rick Tocchet, Gretzky's friend and assistant coach with the Phoenix Coyotes, was granted an indefinite leave of absence Wednesday night by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, a day after New Jersey police accused him of financing a nationwide gambling operation that took bets from about a half-dozen current players, among other bettors.

Tocchet is expected to be arraigned in the next two weeks, and Gretzky could be subpoenaed to testify before a New Jersey grand jury, the Star-Ledger reported.

Jones hasn't made any public statements, but Gretzky said Tuesday that she would answer questions at some point.

Coyotes vice president of communications Richard Nairn declined to comment to the Star-Ledger about Gretzky's knowledge of the case.

The NHL Players' Association posted a message on a secure Web site Wednesday advising any player who is contacted by law enforcement authorities or the league to contact his lawyer "before talking to anyone," the Toronto Star reported.

Tocchet and his new attorney met with Bettman on Wednesday and officially informed the commissioner of the pending charges Tocchet is facing.

On the advice of attorney Kevin Marino, Tocchet wasn't prepared to respond to specific questions about the allegations, the NHL said in a news release. At the end of the meeting, Tocchet requested the leave of absence.

Bettman agreed to the leave as long as several conditions were met. Tocchet must immediately cease all contact and communication with NHL and team personnel and stay away for the duration of his leave. He will not be allowed to return without Bettman's consent.

The commissioner also reserved the right to change the terms of Tocchet's absence at any time.

"We view the charges against Mr. Tocchet in the most serious terms," Bettman said in a statement. "We have pledged our full cooperation to the New Jersey State Police and the New Jersey Attorney General's Office."

The NHL hired former federal prosecutor Robert J. Cleary, who headed the Unabomber case, to investigate Tocchet.

New Jersey authorities told the NHL on Wednesday that nothing has come to their attention that indicates the gambling activities relate in any way to league games. None of the players were identified in the complaint.

"While there is speculation as to which other NHL personnel may have been involved in this matter, we continue to await guidance in that regard from the New Jersey law enforcement authorities," Bettman said.

State police Col. Rick Fuentes said an investigation into the New Jersey-based ring discovered the processing of more than 1,000 wagers, exceeding $1.7 million over several weeks, on professional and college sports, mostly football and basketball.

Marino called the state's charges against his new client "false and irresponsible."

"Mr. Tocchet is one of the most well-respected men ever to play in the NHL, and he's respected for his integrity, his determination and his strength," the Newark-based lawyer said. "We deeply regret the attorney general's precipitous charges and are appalled at the ensuing media frenzy."

Cleary was the U.S. Attorney in New Jersey from 1999-2002 and in the Southern District of Illinois in 2002. he also was the lead prosecutor from 1996-98 in the case against Unabomber Theodore Kaczynski, who was sentenced to four lifetimes in prison on charges related to three deaths and the maiming of two scientists.

New Jersey State Police Lt. Gerald Lewis said police investigators will interview other hockey players to get a sense of the scope of the gambling ring and to determine whether others should be charged.

Lewis said authorities also were exploring links between the gambling and Philadelphia-area mobsters. He said the investigation so far has turned up only that there might be some links, but authorities are unsure.

He also declined to reveal which players will be interviewed.

Hockey players are prohibited from making NHL wagers, legal or otherwise. There are no rules that forbid them from betting on other sports.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
Smells like like alot of bullshit, they weren't betting on hockey, who cares.

The NHL HQ is in the same building I work in and they had all these camera crews waiting outside yesterday trying to get a glimpse of Bettman and Tocchet, fucking vultures...

I don't see what the problem is, no one was betting on hockey so why does it matter. Who cares if Gretzky's wife bet on the SuperBowl, is it illegal to bet on the SuperBowl?

Although the gambling ring was illegal, I have the same sentiments. As long as there was no betting on hockey going on, I really do not care. If that changes, then different story.

I mean, I can see where people can stretch this. For example, say someone loses a lot of money on a bad day, decides to throw a game to make up for it. It is a stretch but could happen.

However, I think people, for the time being should back off Gretzky. It is obvious with the post-Super Bowl sports world, that the media is trying to build up any story it can.

this is just a cunning ploy by the American media to try and distract the Great One from being General Manager of the Canadian Olympic men's hockey team. But the Great One will crush all of these insects as he is untouchable, and if his wife does turn out to be involved, about 15 million Canucks will volunteer for suicide bombing missions to take her out and remove the link to him.

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='218205' date='Feb 14 2006, 12:56 PM']this is just a cunning ploy by the American media to try and distract the Great One from being General Manager of the Canadian Olympic men's hockey team. But the Great One will crush all of these insects as he is untouchable, and if his wife does turn out to be involved, about 15 million Canucks will volunteer for suicide bombing missions to take her out and remove the link to him.[/quote]

Should be posted in the Jesus and W section...W does stand for Wayne, right?

Guest Gonzoid
[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='218205' date='Feb 14 2006, 01:56 PM']this is just a cunning ploy by the American media to try and distract the Great One from being General Manager of the Canadian Olympic men's hockey team. But the Great One will crush all of these insects as he is untouchable, and if his wife does turn out to be involved, about 15 million Canucks will volunteer for suicide bombing missions to take her out and remove the link to him.[/quote]
I had a silly conspiracy theory go through my head a few days ago. Everyone remember when Canada came out sluggish in the '02 games. Gretzky took it upon himself to turn the heat up and came up with his "Everyone wants Canada to lose" tirade? For a moment, a brief second, I entertained a notion that this whole gambling situation was contrived so that if Canada came out sluggish again, Gretzky could turn the heat up on himself again.

If you like that, I also have another theory that states that RBK is trying to feminize the sport by creating a new style of jersey, ones that are more form fitting and can be tucked into the pants. Wait... [url="http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp?id=153365"]that's not a theory[/url]!

Archived