Bearcats Basketball

[quote name='BadassBengal' post='220499' date='Feb 20 2006, 03:43 PM'][quote name='WhoDey48' post='220329' date='Feb 20 2006, 03:43 AM']
[quote name='BadassBengal' post='220327' date='Feb 20 2006, 02:43 AM']
[quote name='WhoDey48' post='218995' date='Feb 15 2006, 09:40 PM']
Alright... just to set the scene if any of you dont know.

Going into the final 5 games of the season we were standing at 16-9, 5-6 in the Big East.

Coach Kennedy stated that he feels we need to win 3 of our final 5 games and we will be dancing in march. This is debatable. But i think its a good prediction on his part mostly due to our strenght of schedule.

[u]Remaining 5 Games:[/u]
@ Syracuse
vs. Providence
vs. #4 Villanova
@ Seton Hall
vs. #11 West Virginia

I really had no idea how we would play against syracuse tonight, but i was just hoping for this team to show me something again. We've seen them overcome some adversity this season and i just hoped like hell that they would show me something tonight. Earlier in the season we got beat by i think 19 against syracuse. Tonight we beat them in their house (breaking our 6 game road losing streak) by 17 points. We looked good, atleast our startes did (bench only scored 2 points, bu at the same time our startes played the majority of the game).

After Kirkland was declared out for the season it seemed like the Cats would stick with their opponents for alot of the game... but then the bottom would just eventually fall out and the ending scores have not been very pretty as of late.

Tonight though, it looked like the team that deep down we all wish we would be seeing. The team played with alot of heart. That purely outhustled and "out hearted" syracuse tonight.

But on to the point... after tonights performance... [b]do you guys think we can be dancing in march?[/b][/quote]

oh, kyle, you're a bearcats fan? c'mon, now...
[/quote]

pfft... hell yeah. take your memphis? shit out of here.

my dad made sure i grew up a bengals, reds, and bearcat fan.

so yeah... it happens

you are a memphis fan though right?
[/quote]

[img]http://msn.foxsports.com/id/4930162_36_1.jpg[/img]

f'sho
[/quote]
funny... i always had you pegged as a fan of the cock!

[img]http://dts.ystoretools.com/1180/images/200x200/be-10102.jpg[/img]
:ninja:

Guest BadassBengal

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='220504' date='Feb 20 2006, 03:57 PM'][quote name='BadassBengal' post='220499' date='Feb 20 2006, 03:43 PM']
[quote name='WhoDey48' post='220329' date='Feb 20 2006, 03:43 AM']
[quote name='BadassBengal' post='220327' date='Feb 20 2006, 02:43 AM']
[quote name='WhoDey48' post='218995' date='Feb 15 2006, 09:40 PM']
Alright... just to set the scene if any of you dont know.

Going into the final 5 games of the season we were standing at 16-9, 5-6 in the Big East.

Coach Kennedy stated that he feels we need to win 3 of our final 5 games and we will be dancing in march. This is debatable. But i think its a good prediction on his part mostly due to our strenght of schedule.

[u]Remaining 5 Games:[/u]
@ Syracuse
vs. Providence
vs. #4 Villanova
@ Seton Hall
vs. #11 West Virginia

I really had no idea how we would play against syracuse tonight, but i was just hoping for this team to show me something again. We've seen them overcome some adversity this season and i just hoped like hell that they would show me something tonight. Earlier in the season we got beat by i think 19 against syracuse. Tonight we beat them in their house (breaking our 6 game road losing streak) by 17 points. We looked good, atleast our startes did (bench only scored 2 points, bu at the same time our startes played the majority of the game).

After Kirkland was declared out for the season it seemed like the Cats would stick with their opponents for alot of the game... but then the bottom would just eventually fall out and the ending scores have not been very pretty as of late.

Tonight though, it looked like the team that deep down we all wish we would be seeing. The team played with alot of heart. That purely outhustled and "out hearted" syracuse tonight.

But on to the point... after tonights performance... [b]do you guys think we can be dancing in march?[/b][/quote]

oh, kyle, you're a bearcats fan? c'mon, now...
[/quote]

pfft... hell yeah. take your memphis? shit out of here.

my dad made sure i grew up a bengals, reds, and bearcat fan.

so yeah... it happens

you are a memphis fan though right?
[/quote]

[img]http://msn.foxsports.com/id/4930162_36_1.jpg[/img]

f'sho
[/quote]
funny... i always had you pegged as a fan of the cock!

[img]http://dts.ystoretools.com/1180/images/200x200/be-10102.jpg[/img]
:ninja:
[/quote]

i AM, actually, also a gamecocks fan. i lived in columbia, SC for 7 years. you're a psychic or somethin...

:lol:

the mascot's name is cocky

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Bearcats seek huge 'W'[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Beating No. 2 Villanova would boost NCAA Tourney hopes[/b][/size]
BY BILL KOCH | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

It's simple really. If the University of Cincinnati basketball team wants to erase all doubt about its qualifications as an NCAA Tournament team, all it has to do is beat Villanova.

"If we beat Villanova I don't see any way we wouldn't make the Tournament," said UC's Connor Barwin.

But beating the No. 2-ranked Wildcats, the highest-ranked UC opponent ever to play at Fifth Third Arena, will require a superior effort by the Bearcats, who have won their last two games and three of their last four, but have not beaten a ranked team in their last 12 tries.

The game, which will be shown nationally on ESPN, begins at 9 p.m. About 500 tickets remained as of Wednesday afternoon.

Villanova (21-2, 11-1 Big East) is in first place in the Big East, has won 10 games in a row for the second time this season and last week knocked off then-No. 1 Connecticut.

Using a four-guard lineup necessitated by the pre-season knee injury to forward Curtis Sumpter, the Wildcats are excellent shooters but are known for their aggressive defense, their overall intensity and their passing ability.

"They shoot it, and they play hard," said UC forward Eric Hicks. "They've got players that are willing to sacrifice."

The Bearcats (18-9, 7-6) believe they match up well with Villanova.

Like the Wildcats, they rely heavily on their guards and are at their best in the open floor. Both teams do a good job of taking care of the ball, which is unusual for teams that like to score in transition.

"To me, I think it's the best matchup we're going to face from here on out," said UC point guard Devan Downey. "Size-wise, we match up well. We've just got to guard on the perimeter."

But matching up size-wise and matching up ability-wise are two different things.

"Four guards isn't frightening," Kennedy said. "But four really good guards is what makes it a challenge. They've done this all year. It's not as if they're trying to reinvent themselves mid-year like some unfortunate souls. They've been doing this all year and they're really good at it."

They're so good at it and are so experienced that they play with a level of confidence that few teams can match.

Regardless of what happens on the court, Kennedy said, they maintain their composure.

"If you watch them and you didn't know what the score was, you wouldn't know if they were up 10 or down 10 because they play the same way," Kennedy said. "They're always attacking you. They're always trying to exploit you off the dribble and they play extremely hard defensively."

Villanova boasts two of the top five scorers in the league in 6-foot-4 senior Randy Foye (20 points per game) and 6-foot-2 senior Allan Ray (18.9), both of whom, Kennedy says, are good enough to be conference player of the year candidates.

The Wildcats also have one of the league's best 3-point shooters in junior Mike Nardi, who has made 43.4 percent of his attempts from beyond the arc.

And even though they don't have the size that most Big East teams possess, they hold their own on the boards with a rebounding margin of plus-two.

"To me, we've got everything to gain," Downey said. "Nobody thinks we're going to win. I'm going to be pumped up, but it's not like I'm going to be nervous or anything. I'm just going to be ready to play.

Playing in the Big East, the Bearcats have had plenty of chances to take on highly-ranked teams, so they certainly won't be star-struck playing Villanova. They lost at Connecticut earlier this season when the Huskies were ranked fourth and gave them all they could handle.

"Unlike previous years where you could really get geared up for one game, you can't do that in this league," Kennedy said. "Everybody's good. Everybody's capable. This league does not afford us the opportunity of win one for the Gipper."

But the UC players know what a victory over Villanova could do for them.

"It would open people's eyes if we take them out," Hicks said. "There aren't too many people who get a chance to play a No. 1 or No. 2 in the country, so when you play them you've got to take advantage. Last year (against No. 1 Illinois) we didn't take advantage. Hopefully this year we can."

[b]Cincinnati vs. No. 2 Villanova [/b]
[b]Tipoff:[/b] 9 p.m. today, Fifth Third Arena (13,176)

[b]Records:[/b] Cincinnati (18-9 overall, 7-6 in Big East); Villanova (21-2, 11-1)

[b]TV:[/b] ESPN

Radio: WLW-AM (700)

[b]Series:[/b] Villanova leads 1-0

[b]Line:[/b] Villanova by 3

[b]CINCINNATI [/b]

Player Yr. Ht. PPG
Cedric McGowan Jr. 6-6 8.5
Eric Hicks Sr. 6-6 14.0
James White Sr. 6-7 16.2
Jihad Muhammad Sr. 5-11 10.0
Devan Downey Fr. 5-10 12.6

[b]Coach:[/b] Andy Kennedy (18-9 first season; same overall)

[b]VILLANOVA [/b]

Player Yr. Ht. PPG
Will Sheridan Jr. 6-8 5.0
Kyle Lowry So. 6-1 11.6
Mike Nardi Jr. 6-2 11.7
Randy Foye Sr. 6-4 20.0
Allan Ray Sr. 6-2 18.9

[b]Coach:[/b] Jay Wright (97-56, fourth season; 217-141 overall)[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060223/SPT0101/602230387/1064/SPT"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...230387/1064/SPT[/url]

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]It`s been a season of many lessons[/b][/size]
Paul Daugherty

The UC Bearcats needed a shock-the-world win to go along with all that feel-good, if only because the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee deals in fact, not heart. As inspiring as the UC Bearcats have been this season, they're still walking the line between Almost and In.

The Bearcats played Villanova Thursday night. It was a little like Switzerland playing the U.S. in war. The Wildcats are ranked No. 2. They are, at the moment, the best team in the best conference in the land. On both ends of the floor, they play as if they've known each other for years.

The Bearcats hung with them. They led by two with barely a minute to play. Eric Hicks followed a miss with a layup, and Fifth Third Arena roared like the good old days.

Then 'Nova's Randy Foye made two free throws, and Dante Cunningham slipped underneath the hoop on an inbounds play and banked in a layup. There are reasons the Wildcats are No. 2. Playing under pressure while taking everyone's best punch is one. Second-best beat the Little Team That (Almost) Could 74-72.

We'll never know what a win would have meant to UC, but we can guess:

A contract offer to Andy Kennedy. (Students amused themselves by chanting "Hire Andy" during the game and immediately after.)

An NCAA Tournament bid.

National publicity for what we've known locally all year: No team has played with more guts than this group.

As it is, the Bearcats will have to regroup and do things the hard way. Sound familiar?

What a game. What a potentially epic night, practically poetic, but for the finish. A season that started with a grumpy fan base staying away is winding down with consecutive sellouts.

It is hard, now, to come up with a decent reason why Kennedy should not be first in line at the postseason job fair. You could suggest he's a one-year wonder, able to move and shake guys with whom he had a rapport before he was thrust into the job. And those guys won't be here next year. Fair point.

Fair, also, that new athletic director Mike Thomas deserves the opportunity to pick his guy. Regardless, Kennedy deserves to move to the head of the class.

As for the rest of Thursday:

'Nova's senior guards, Foye and Allan Ray, shoot 3s in their sleep. Ray might be from the Bronx, but he was chucking them from Manhattan. It's the passing that impresses, and the defense. All well-greased and familiar. 'Nova seemed to be double-teaming every Bearcat with the ball. And yet ...

UC had a shot, even after the referees fouled out James White, with 4:42 left in a four-point game. In a game in which every shot was contested, White was hit with a touch foul. Maybe next season, if he's here, Kennedy will get some respect from Big East officials.

Hicks' follow-up basket made it 72-70 UC. He aggravated his left ankle sprain on the play, which figured, given the way this season has gone. Then he had the last shot, a clean jumper from the key that bounced around and away. Villanova survived.

The Wildcats are that good. UC is that close.

Whoever decided the journey is more important than the destination didn't mean to describe a team full of try-hards, diehards and football players, overseen by a tall, bald man who is building a résumé the way tides build a beach. It just worked out that way.

So much has been learned this season, so much of it worthwhile. Here's some of what has come from UC's winter of wandering the desert:

Life isn't fair.

It's not what happens to you. It's what you do about it.

Nobody can define you, unless you let him.

And, by the way, basketball is a contact sport.

Thursday night was just another lesson. It was a beautiful game. UC's loss shouldn't diminish that, nor what Kennedy has accomplished. The Selection Committee won't care about that, though. The Bearcats need a win either at Seton Hall Tuesday or here March 4 against West Virginia to feel good about the Madness.

Meantime, enjoy the journey.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060224/COL03/602240392/1082/SPT"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...240392/1082/SPT[/url]

Archived