I got a sleeper for ya!

Guest CrazyIrishman5

Guest CrazyIrishman5

Chris Gocong, DE, Cal Poly, 6-3, 265
2005 Stats
Tackles 98
Tackles For Loss 31 :blink:
Sacks 23.5 :bowdown:

[url="http://www.gopoly.com/football/mens/bios/gocong.html"]http://www.gopoly.com/football/mens/bios/gocong.html[/url]

Impressive numbers to be sure, but he played in Div IAA, so he was generally playing against lesser competition. Not to say he won't be good, but that needs to be considered.

But then, that's why he's a sleeper. Or was before the combine. He was noticed.

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='Bengals1181' post='224603' date='Mar 1 2006, 09:54 AM']combine numbers?[/quote]

There were over fifty defensive linemen invited to the combine. I know that they all didn't compete in all the drills, but from the best I can tell Gocong had the following finishes among DL.

Short shuttle.....First
Long Shuttle.....Second
Broad jump.......Fourth
Verticle.............Sixth
40 dash............Sixth
3 cone..............Seventh

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bengal_Smoov

Taken from NFL.com about Pro Days, appearantly Coach Hundley is very intriguied by Mr. Gocong...

[quote]Only three teams were there -- the Raiders, Bengals and Ravens. The workout was led by Cincinnati linebackers coach Ricky Hunley.
Player Position Gil's comments
Chris Gocong DL Gocong stood on his performance from the Combine and [b]just did a 42-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-5 long jump, both a little better than he did in Indianapolis[/b]. Four different teams will be sending defensive coordinators to work him out in the next month to see if he can switch from defensive lineman to a 3-4 linebacker.[/quote]

Maybe he's the next Mike Mamula or maybe not, regardless homeboy is a great athlete, I didn't know white boys had 42 inch verts...I kid, I kid..But he could be a 3rd round pick, he's a good athlete that won the D I-AA award for best defensive player in the nation, that's impressive.

[quote]Cal Poly Defensive End Gocong Wins 2005 Buck Buchanan Award

Dec. 16, 2005

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. -- Cal Poly senior defensive end Chris Gocong is the winner of the 2005 Buck Buchanan Award presented by The Sports Network to the nation's defensive player of the year in Division I-AA.

Gocong received the award at the 19th Annual Division I-AA College Football Awards held Thursday in The Sheraton Read House Hotel in Chattanooga, Tenn. The Winner of the Walter Payton Award, presented by The Sports Network to the Division I-AA Player of the Year, also was announced Thursday as well as the recipient of the Eddie Robinson Award for Division I-AA Coach of the Year.

[b]Gocong is the second Cal Poly player in as many years to win the award. Linebacker Jordan Beck, a third-round draft choice of the Atlanta Falcons last April, won the 2004 Buck Buchanan Award. [/b] Gocong finished second in the balloting for the 2004 award.

Balloting was conducted in late November by more than 100 media members and media relations professionals covering Division I-AA and was based on regular season performance only.

"I don't know what to say about winning the award twice in a row," said Cal Poly head coach Rich Ellerson, who has guided the Mustangs to three consecutive winning seasons and 26 wins in their last 36 games. "Both Gocong and Beck came in together, and Chris, Jordan and their classmates oversaw this renaissance of Cal Poly football. Winning back-to-back Buchanan Awards is an exclamation point on what this entire class could do."

It has been a busy week of awards for Gocong. The 6-3, 265-pound Carpinteria High School graduate was named to the prestigious AFCA Division I-AA Coaches' All-America Team and the Associated Press Division I-AA All-America Team on Wednesday, the Sports Network's All-America first team on Monday and the Walter Camp Football Foundation Division I-AA All-America Team last Thursday.

"For him to perform that consistently over the last couple years is a reflection of effort, the effort he produces from snap to whistle, the effort in the classroom, in the weight room, year in and year out, manifesting itself on the football field," said Ellerson. "He's getting a degree in biomedical engineering from one of most respected programs in the country in that field. All of his success is more due to his consistency and effort in all that he does."

Gocong, scheduled to play in the 2006 Las Vegas All-American Classic on Saturday, Jan. 14, in Sam Boyd Stadium, was named Great West Football Conference Defensive Player of the Year two weeks ago and has 42.0 career sacks, 1.5 sacks shy of the career mark set by Tom Carey (1985-88).

This season, Gocong finished first in the nation in sacks per game (1.81), second in tackles for lost yardage (2.35 per game) and 23rd in forced fumbles (.31). [b]He recorded 98 total tackles (46 solo), including a school-record 23.5 sacks and 31.0 tackles for lost yardage[/b], leading the Mustangs to a 9-4 record, a second straight Great West Football Conference championship and the quarterfinal round of the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs.

He recovered a Montana State fumble in the end zone on Sept. 17 for his first career Mustang touchdown.

Gocong finished the 2004 regular season as the nation's sacks leader in Division I-AA with 17.5 (1.59 sacks per contest) and was No. 2 in tackles for lost yardage with 21.5 (1.95 a game). Gocong recorded 71 total tackles as a junior and also notched one interception (Humboldt State), one punt block (North Dakota State) and two forced fumbles.

Cal Poly is the first school to win back-to-back Buck Buchanan Awards since 1995-96 when linebacker Dexter Coakley of Appalachian State earned the award in consecutive seasons.

Gocong captured 44 of 113 first-place votes and 359 total points to claim the Buchanan trophy. Brent Hawkins of Illinois State finished second with 19 first-place votes and 266 points, while Hampton linebacker Justin Durant was third with 13 first-place votes and 171 points.

The award is named for Junious "Buck" Buchanan, the NAIA All-American and Pro Football Hall of Fame, defensive lineman who played for Grambling State University from 1959 through 1962.[/quote]

Gocong's stats are crazy, he had 98 tackles, 23.5 sacks :wub: , and 31 tfl last year alone, in 2004 he had 71 tackles, 17.5 sacks, and 21.5 tfl's...Wow, just wow..Not only does he have great production he murdered the combine, time to hop on the Gocong bandwagon as this kid is going to be a player.

His college teammate, Jordan Beck, is a good looking prospect that had is rookie season end due to injury, but he will show everyone in ATL what he's all about this offseason.

If Beck gets drafted in the 3rd round I could see Gocong going in the 3rd as well, hell Vincent Jackson went in the 2nd round and he was a uber-productive DI-AA player like Gocong.

[img]http://images.sportsnetwork.com/football/college/1aa/gocong_chris_action.jpg[/img]

Archived