DT Dusty Dvoracek combine numbers

Guest fredtoast

Guest fredtoast
Dusty is projected as a third rounder mainly because of his off field problems with alcohol and "anger management". Does anyone know exactly what kind of trouble he got into? I know that he was kicked off the team for a whole season, but they also let him come back, so it couldn't have been too bad.

Anyway i was really impressed at his combine performance. He came in at almost 6'3", and tipped the scales at 306. That is plenty big enough for an NFL tackle as long as he has some strength and athletic skills. Dvoracek definitely has both strength and athletic skills. Here is what how he placed among DTs at the combine:

Short Shuttle...1st
Verticle...........2nd
Bench.............4th
Broad Jump.....5th
40 yd dash......5th
Cone drill........6th

Another thing that most people don't realize is that Dvoracek is one of the most intelligent players in the draft. He has won numerous awards for his scholastic achievements. Are there any big Sooners fans out there who can tell us more about this guy? Here is just a little something I found from an article about him

[i]After being booted from the squad, Dvoracek began battling his demons. He entered a six-week rehab program run by former Miami Dolphins defensive lineman Jim Riley and continued to attend classes at Oklahoma.

Then, after the season, instead of preparing for the NFL draft, he sought to regain his senior year of eligibility. The NCAA awarded him an extra season, and the 6-foot-3, 298-pounder was allowed to return by Stoops.

He has made the most of his reprieve with 17 tackles for losses and four sacks.

"Everything happens for a reason," Dvoracek said, reflecting on the incident. "If it didn't happen then, it was bound to happen at some point. I am glad it happened when it did. I've been able to turn it all around and come back and play another year. I am glad it happened now rather than in the NFL.

"Bad things happened, but it could've been much worse. I'm thankful for how everything turned out. I feel like a better person because of it."

Stoops said he weighed numerous factors before agreeing to allow Dvoracek's return to the program. He cited the fact that Dvoracek was an honor-roll student and was one class away from earning his degree. [b]Also important was Dvoracek's status as a team leader who had never previously caused a problem.[/b]

[b]"This wasn't his track record; this was really out of the ordinary," [/b] Stoops said. "For all those positive reasons, along with his reason of wanting to leave Oklahoma with the right legacy in a positive way, to me, were good reasons for him to come back.

[b]"I felt this wasn't a risk for me. I felt sure enough about his character that this wasn't going to happen again, and our administration felt the same way."[/b]

Dvoracek repeatedly refers to his legacy when discussing why he wanted to return instead of opting for the NFL. He's one of the top defensive players in Oklahoma history, and his 43 career tackles for losses rank sixth in school history, ahead of such legends as Lee Roy Selmon (40) and Brian Bosworth (39).[/i]

Given Marvin's record of taking chances with guys that have "character issues" (Thurman, Henry) I'm hoping that Dusty may be another third round steal for us.

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='Jason' post='227200' date='Mar 7 2006, 11:20 AM']I believe he was suspended from the team for the 2004 season due to a drunken bar fight that got pretty violent.[/quote]

That's correct. I found out that he beat the living shit out of a guy (sent him to hospital), but he was never charged with a crime.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='227204' date='Mar 7 2006, 11:27 AM']I'll say it now, someone is going to get an absolute steal in Dvoracek.[/quote]

Yep, he was pretty highly touted before he got suspended. With his character issues, and what has happened with Chris Henry, I don't know if Marvin will want to go to that well again, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I thought he had "recovered" pretty well.

Guest fredtoast
More info from a Sooners site

The Wrapup - Last name is pronounced duh-VOR-check ... born: March 3, 1981 ... son of Dennis and Sandra Dvoracek ... major: management ... [b]winner of the Pace (University College award for top one percent of freshmen on campus) and Jay Myers (Athletics Department award for combining excellence in scholarship and potential in athletics performance) awards[/b]

Guest fredtoast
Note from the Senior Bowl:

[i]
* The defensive line is where we saw some prospects falling throughout the week. OU DT Dusty Dvoracek had a rough weekend in one on one drills and one scout told me that he felt bad for Dvoracek having to continually go up against Ohio State center Nick Mangold because Mangold owned him. While Dvoracek may not be a dominant one on one player, the thought around the Senior Bowl is that he is more suited to the team defense concept which pretty much means he won't be drafted very early. [/i]

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='fredtoast' post='227306' date='Mar 7 2006, 04:28 PM']Note from the Senior Bowl:

[i]
* The defensive line is where we saw some prospects falling throughout the week. OU DT Dusty Dvoracek had a rough weekend in one on one drills and one scout told me that he felt bad for Dvoracek having to continually go up[b] against Ohio State center Nick Mangold because Mangold owned him[/b]. While Dvoracek may not be a dominant one on one player, the thought around the Senior Bowl is that he is more suited to the team defense concept which pretty much means he won't be drafted very early. [/i][/quote]

:lol:

Oh shit...that was pretty funny...

Dvoracek sounds like a try hard type of guy who could have a long career but never be a star. I wouldn't mind us drafting him, he could convince J.Smith to lay off the sauce a lil' bit..

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='fredtoast' post='227306' date='Mar 7 2006, 04:28 PM']Note from the Senior Bowl:

[i]
* The defensive line is where we saw some prospects falling throughout the week. OU DT Dusty Dvoracek had a rough weekend in one on one drills and one scout told me that he felt bad for Dvoracek having to continually go up against Ohio State center Nick Mangold because Mangold owned him. While Dvoracek may not be a dominant one on one player, the thought around the Senior Bowl is that [b]he is more suited to the team defense concept which pretty much means he won't be drafted very early. [/b][/i][/quote]

sounds exactly like Marvin's style.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='dieselman44' post='227329' date='Mar 7 2006, 04:52 PM']I see Dusty as workout warrior but he really does not have the football skills needed to stand out at the next level.[/quote]

I think you may be wrong about Mr. Dvoracek, he's quite the player actually. Any DT that can get 17 TFL in one season is more than a workout warrior, that is production at the highest level, imo..

[quote]Strengths:
Tenacious and has a motor that never stops...An excellent pass rusher and classic one-gapper...Has good speed and quickness with a burst...Is very intense and a hard worker...Is instinctive and a true football player...Very productive...Did a great job in classes and received notice for his academic achievements...[b]Teams will likely be able to land him much lower than his talent would indicate.[/b]

Weaknesses:
Has a lot of off-the-field issues with fighting and alcohol...Does not have great size or bulk...Is too aggressive at times and will run past the action...[b]Not very stout and lacks lower-body strength...Might need to be in the right scheme to succeed...Suspended for most of the '04 season due to his involvement in an incident that left someone hospitalized with head injuries[/b]...Durability is a concern.

Notes:
Has undergone treatment and received counseling in anger-management and substance abuse programs...A disruptive force in the middle who makes a lot of plays and could excel with the right team...There will likely be a wide ranging spectrum of grades on him as each team makes their own determinations about his character...Probably a boom or bust type of prospect.[/quote]

If anything it sounds like he needs to work out more, get stronger in his lower body to stand up at the point of attack.

Oh shit Ol' Dusty has is own [url="http://students.ou.edu/D/Dusty.R.Dvoracek-1/"]webpage[/url]..Pretty crappy but you can view his resume`, which is pretty funny.

Dieselman, since you think Dusty is going to be a bust, why don't you give him a call at @ (405)447-6029
and tell him so. I triple dog dare ya!!!!

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' post='227342' date='Mar 7 2006, 05:18 PM'][quote name='dieselman44' post='227329' date='Mar 7 2006, 04:52 PM']
I see Dusty as workout warrior but he really does not have the football skills needed to stand out at the next level.[/quote]

I think you may be wrong about Mr. Dvoracek, he's quite the player actually. Any DT that can get 17 TFL in one season is more than a workout warrior, that is production at the highest level, imo..

[quote]Strengths:
Tenacious and has a motor that never stops...An excellent pass rusher and classic one-gapper...Has good speed and quickness with a burst...Is very intense and a hard worker...Is instinctive and a true football player...Very productive...Did a great job in classes and received notice for his academic achievements...[b]Teams will likely be able to land him much lower than his talent would indicate.[/b]

Weaknesses:
Has a lot of off-the-field issues with fighting and alcohol...Does not have great size or bulk...Is too aggressive at times and will run past the action...[b]Not very stout and lacks lower-body strength...Might need to be in the right scheme to succeed...Suspended for most of the '04 season due to his involvement in an incident that left someone hospitalized with head injuries[/b]...Durability is a concern.

Notes:
Has undergone treatment and received counseling in anger-management and substance abuse programs...A disruptive force in the middle who makes a lot of plays and could excel with the right team...There will likely be a wide ranging spectrum of grades on him as each team makes their own determinations about his character...Probably a boom or bust type of prospect.[/quote]

If anything it sounds like he needs to work out more, get stronger in his lower body to stand up at the point of attack.

Oh shit Ol' Dusty has is own [url="http://students.ou.edu/D/Dusty.R.Dvoracek-1/"]webpage[/url]..Pretty crappy but you can view his resume`, which is pretty funny.

[b]Dieselman, since you think Dusty is going to be a bust, why don't you give him a call at @ (405)447-6029
and tell him so. I triple dog dare ya!!!![/b]
[/quote]

hahahahaha :lol: i called him and left him a message.

all im saying is i wouldnt use a pick better than 4th round on him. if he falls to the fourth round then im all for it.

I think I"d use a 3rd on him...He's going to be just fine for somebody, and his combine measurables were good enough to mean that he's not all about 'try'.

If you have a high octane guy who can also move...You've got a player.

BZ

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='dieselman44' post='227329' date='Mar 7 2006, 04:52 PM']I see Dusty as workout warrior but he really does not have the football skills needed to stand out at the next level.[/quote]

The guy has GREAT production. He is number six all-time on Oklahoma's career TFL list. That is pretty impressive when you think of all the great defensive players that have come out of Oklahoma over the years. Plus based on his combine numbers he was one of the top three or four DTS in terms of all around combination of strength, speed, and agility. When you combine proven production with great measurables you should have a high draft pick.

As for his off filed problems I am hoping that the fact that he is such an intelligent person means that he will learn from his mistakes (unlike some players I could name). Also the fact that the incident was out of character for him. I don't believe he will have any more serious problems.

And as someone has already said, I didn't hear about ANY DTs going off on Mangold. Does this mean that NONE of the DTs in the draft are any good? I doubt it.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='227669' date='Mar 8 2006, 10:51 AM'][quote name='dieselman44' post='227329' date='Mar 7 2006, 04:52 PM']
I see Dusty as workout warrior but he really does not have the football skills needed to stand out at the next level.[/quote]

The guy has GREAT production. He is number six all-time on Oklahoma's career TFL list. That is pretty impressive when you think of all the great defensive players that have come out of Oklahoma over the years. Plus based on his combine numbers he was one of the top three or four DTS in terms of all around combination of strength, speed, and agility. When you combine proven production with great measurables you should have a high draft pick.

As for his off filed problems I am hoping that the fact that he is such an intelligent person means that he will learn from his mistakes (unlike some players I could name). Also the fact that the incident was out of character for him. I don't believe he will have any more serious problems.

And as someone has already said, I didn't hear about ANY DTs going off on Mangold. Does this mean that NONE of the DTs in the draft are any good? I doubt it.
[/quote]

i like your guys imput. im just trying to pose another side for this arguement. With that being said, i just feel that Dusty is not a guy that fits our need at DT and to me nothing speical jumps out about the guy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fredtoast
[quote name='dieselman44' post='227228' date='Mar 7 2006, 01:12 PM']Mangold and every other O-lineman handled Dusty real well during the senoir bowl practices. He didnt impress me at all.[/quote]

Found this on draftdaddy

[i]While the D'Brick/Kiwi main event got all the headlines, the undercard was just as exciting: #55 Nick Mangold vs. #99 Dusty Dvoracek. These guys were going all out and the results were spectacular. There were no decisions it was all about going for the knockout.

In one particular series, Mangold got beat for a sack with a nifty swim move, but during the next rep rebounded to pancake Dusty. It went back and forth like this all day. Both players went all out, proved alot and, at this rate, won't make it past the end of the first day. [/i]

Just shows how crazy internet scouting can be. I don't know who to believe.

Archived