Can't say this surprises me

Nati Ice

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060322/SPT04/603220368/-1/rss"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...03220368/-1/rss[/url]

[quote][size=4][b]Bush invited to join Reds Opening Day[/b][/size]
[size=3]President may throw first pitch[/size]
BY JOHN FAY AND JOSH PICHLER | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITERS

In 2003, former President George H.W. Bush got the Reds' season started with a high, arching Opening Day pitch to then-Reds shortstop Barry Larkin.

This year, it could be the current president's turn.

According to a team source, President Bush has accepted an invitation to attend the Reds' Opening Day game April 3 against the Chicago Cubs and will throw out the first pitch as long as his schedule cooperates.

The president wouldn't be following just his father's footsteps to the mound at Great American Ball Park.

Vice President Dick Cheney threw out the first pitch on Opening Day 2004.

New Reds CEO Bob Castellini has close ties to Bush. The two were partners in the Texas Rangers starting in the late 1980s.

Dick Williams, a special assistant/baseball operations for general manager Wayne Krivsky, worked in Washington on Bush's re-election campaign in 2004.

Castellini, who helped raise funds for the Bush political campaigns, was at his home in Georgia Tuesday night and could not be reached for comment.

Although President Bush was unable to attend Opening Day in 2003 after receiving an invitation from then-owner Carl Lindner, he does have experience on the mound.

Perhaps most dramatically, Bush opened Game 3 of the 2001 World Series in New York, shortly after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Bush also threw out the first pitch of the Washington Nationals' inaugural home opener last season.[/quote]

political preferences aside... if true, this is definitely a great thing. cinci is a primarily republican area and bush shouldnt see too many boo birds. this should definitely bring in more press and recognition for both the city of cincinnati and the reds organization, any publicity is good publicity. i wish i had tickets/ was going to be in town... -_-

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='236571' date='Mar 22 2006, 11:02 AM'][url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060322/SPT04/603220368/-1/rss"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...03220368/-1/rss[/url]

[quote][size=4][b]Bush invited to join Reds Opening Day[/b][/size]
[size=3]President may throw first pitch[/size]
BY JOHN FAY AND JOSH PICHLER | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITERS

In 2003, former President George H.W. Bush got the Reds' season started with a high, arching Opening Day pitch to then-Reds shortstop Barry Larkin.

This year, it could be the current president's turn.

According to a team source, President Bush has accepted an invitation to attend the Reds' Opening Day game April 3 against the Chicago Cubs and will throw out the first pitch as long as his schedule cooperates.

The president wouldn't be following just his father's footsteps to the mound at Great American Ball Park.

Vice President Dick Cheney threw out the first pitch on Opening Day 2004.

New Reds CEO Bob Castellini has close ties to Bush. The two were partners in the Texas Rangers starting in the late 1980s.

Dick Williams, a special assistant/baseball operations for general manager Wayne Krivsky, worked in Washington on Bush's re-election campaign in 2004.

Castellini, who helped raise funds for the Bush political campaigns, was at his home in Georgia Tuesday night and could not be reached for comment.

Although President Bush was unable to attend Opening Day in 2003 after receiving an invitation from then-owner Carl Lindner, he does have experience on the mound.

Perhaps most dramatically, Bush opened Game 3 of the 2001 World Series in New York, shortly after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Bush also threw out the first pitch of the Washington Nationals' inaugural home opener last season.[/quote]

political preferences aside... if true, this is definitely a great thing. cinci is a primarily republican area and bush shouldnt see too many boo birds. this should definitely bring in more press and recognition for both the city of cincinnati and the reds organization, any publicity is good publicity. i wish i had tickets/ was going to be in town... -_-
[/quote]

I'll be there... and when Bush's dad threw out the first pitch when GAB first opened.... WOW. It was awesome, everyone was chanting USA USA USA, it was hard to describe that feeling.

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Ben' post='236786' date='Mar 22 2006, 03:21 PM'][quote name='BigDawgBengal' post='236776' date='Mar 22 2006, 03:11 PM']
I wonder if he will get booed or cheered.[/quote]

If he moves opening day for MLB from japan back to cinci, i will cheer
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote]Bush and Castellini have known each other for nearly two decades. In 1989, Castellini was part of a group of investors headed by Bush that purchased the Texas Rangers. Five years later, Bush was elected governor of Texas and his political career took off, but the two have maintained their ties.

Castellini was a major fundraiser for Bush in his most recent campaign, earning a "Pioneer" designation as someone who had raised at least $100,000 toward the 2004 election.[/quote]

Man... I wonder if Castellini can use some of that clout to get some pitching

/and maybe a salary cap

Guest bengalrick

[quote][quote name='bengalrick' post='236670' date='Mar 22 2006, 12:14 PM']
great news... hope its true....[/quote]

You better go to that game or I will be disappointed.
[/quote]

i wish i could... tax season is, by far, the busiest time of year at work, for me... doubt i'd be able to make it, even if i could afford the tickets.... :(

[quote name='bengalrick' post='239954' date='Mar 28 2006, 04:39 PM']i wish i could... tax season is, by far, the busiest time of year at work, for me... doubt i'd be able to make it, even if i could afford the tickets.... :([/quote]

Maybe the next foundation should be the Bengalrick-Bush fund. 20 people donate a dollar and you got some good seats to see Bushie.

We have to get you to that game. :badger:

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='240314' date='Mar 29 2006, 10:43 AM'][quote name='bengalrick' post='239954' date='Mar 28 2006, 04:39 PM']
i wish i could... tax season is, by far, the busiest time of year at work, for me... doubt i'd be able to make it, even if i could afford the tickets.... :([/quote]

Maybe the next foundation should be the Bengalrick-Bush fund. 20 people donate a dollar and you got some good seats to see Bushie.

[/quote]

i obviously think thats a great idea :thumbsup:

[quote name='bengalrick' post='240343' date='Mar 29 2006, 11:36 AM'][quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='240314' date='Mar 29 2006, 10:43 AM']
[quote name='bengalrick' post='239954' date='Mar 28 2006, 04:39 PM']
i wish i could... tax season is, by far, the busiest time of year at work, for me... doubt i'd be able to make it, even if i could afford the tickets.... :([/quote]

[/quote]

i obviously think thats a great idea :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Ive got about 6 tickets to the game, I might have an extra one

Guest bengalrick

damn palmer... i appreciate the offer... unfortinately, i have to work and no chance of getting out... i'm sure you won't have a problem getting rid of it though :)

[quote name='bengalrick' post='240643' date='Mar 30 2006, 12:18 AM']damn palmer... i appreciate the offer... unfortinately, i have to work and no chance of getting out... i'm sure you won't have a problem getting rid of it though :)[/quote]

:1violin:

Boooooooo rick. Come on how can you pass up on bush, I mean it's bush, there is always time for bush.

:lol: :lol:

Anyway, good luck with tax season.

Archived