D-train and Miguel a RED?!?!

Palmer4HOF

Guest WhoDeyForever

WOW if we got D-Train and Cabrera i dont know what ill do...D-Train is one of my favorite players in the whole major league and it would be an automatic 100 win season every year from here on out :badger:

Guest WhoDeyForever

Also on the way home from Cincinnati i heard somethin on the radio that went like this...we trade Dunn,Homer Bailey and a couple other minor leaguers for D Train.....man if this happend I would be exploding more in my pants than BJ did when we signed Sam Adams!! :badger:

Guest CrazyIrishman5
[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='250254' date='Apr 15 2006, 11:59 PM']Cabreras first EVER OF position was RF because of his arm. Freel cant throw worht a shit and if ur intelligent in baseball u put arms in RF. Freel would go to 3B because he is a much better infielder than OF.[/quote]
Freel could not play 3B if he did not have a arm and Freel is not good at 3B!

[quote]Cabrera is good at 3B and RF. He would be best suited for this team in RF because he has one of the strongest arms in baseball.[/quote]
So, by your logic the Cards should move Scott Rolen to RF or the A's should move Eric Chavez to RF......NO!!!!

[quote]Cabrera wouldnt bat 4th. Dunn is a # 4 hitter period. Cabrera would be 3. This team cant be run by a hasbeen. Cabrera = 1000 times better than Griffey is now and if wasnt put in the 3 spot i doubt he would even want to resign with this team cuz they play favorites and dont base it on talent.[/quote]
With Jr batting 3rd, in late innings team will have to bring in a left handed pitcher to pitch to him and sense most MLB teams only carry one left handed reliever they will have to chose to leave him in to face Cabrera([b]VERY GOOD FOR CABRERA[/b]) and Dunn or bring in a right handed reliever to face Cabrera and Dunn([b]VERY GOOD FOR DUNN[/b])!

[quote name='WhoDeyForever' post='250640' date='Apr 16 2006, 10:29 PM']Also on the way home from Cincinnati i heard somethin on the radio that went like this...we trade Dunn,Homer Bailey and a couple other minor leaguers for D Train.....man if this happend I would be exploding more in my pants than BJ did when we signed Sam Adams!! :badger:[/quote]

i dont see us trading homer bailey AT ALL

[quote]Marlins offered Dontrelle for Wright

Email this story

Printer friendly format

More Coverage

Padres beat Mets, 7-4
Apr 24, 2006

Photo Gallery

Photos: Padres 7, Mets 4

KBQB Blog

Latest updates:
• Why the Rangers will win

Baseball

ASK ANTHONY
-Updated 4/17-
• Read our first mailbag
• Submit your Yankees and Mets questions.

More Coverage

The Lax Log

Rangers playoff coverage

Buy Tickets

Buy tickets for the Mets and Yankees baseball.
Yankees
Mets
More sports tickets

BY JON HEYMAN
Newsday Staff Writer

April 23, 2006

The Marlins made a bombshell trade suggestion to the Mets within the past several weeks - Dontrelle Willis for David Wright - people familiar with the brief trade talk told Newsday.

If the straight-up swap of young stars was at all intriguing to the Mets, they didn't show it immediately. The discussion halted almost as soon as the idea was broached.

Mets general manager Omar Minaya quickly rejected it, and it's believed he didn't even consider it seriously enough to take it to club ownership. Minaya and other Mets baseball officials view Wright and Jose Reyes as the franchise cornerstones, and the idea has even been advanced that Wright could be "our Jeter."

Instead, the Mets have told Wright's people they intend to talk with him at year's end about a long extension, assuming the year goes as expected. Taking a cue from the Indians, who locked up young stars Grady Sizemore and Victor Martinez with lengthy deals, the Mets are interested in a contract for Wright for six or five years and a team option because they want to delay his free agency by two years. If they get that done, Wright, 23, gets security, and the Mets could save millions and ensure he's theirs through his 20s. "If the Mets are interested, I'm all ears," Wright said. "I love it here. I know I've only played a year and a half. But I love it. I love everything about this organization."

Even if for some reason the Mets were to change their minds about the proposal, the deal may not be available now. Sometime after this star-swap suggestion, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, to quell speculation about their two stars, including Miguel Cabrera, publicly denied his club was shopping either player. "They're not going anywhere," Loria said in South Florida papers April 15. "We are not shopping players."

That may be true now. But sometime in spring, the Marlins called with the proposal. The idea was such a hot and touchy topic that when speaking of it, Mets people refer to the Marlins as seeking "one of our top guys," when they clearly understood they were targeting Wright, who hit .306 with 27 home runs and 102 RBIs last season.

Although the Mets could use another top-flight starting pitcher, they're holding out hope Mike Pelfrey, last year's No.1 pick, could eventually bolster their thin rotation. They also want to guard against rushing into anything before they are absolutely sure of their most pressing needs in a season in which they expect to contend.

Another consideration for the Mets - who acquired Carlos Delgado and Paul Lo Duca in the Marlins' winter fire sale - was the young stars' contractual situations. Lefthander Willis, who went 22-10 with a 2.63 ERA last season, makes $4.35 million this season and can be eligible for free agency after the 2008 season. Wright makes $374,000 this season and won't be eligible to leave the Mets until after the 2010 season.[/quote]

[quote]The word on Reds-Marlins trade? No
Reds insider
MILWAUKEE - They could do a whole "CSI" episode on it: The Anatomy of a Rumor.

Surely you've heard it by now. The Reds are going to trade Austin Kearns, Edwin Encarnacion and Ryan Wagner to the Florida Marlins for Dontrelle Willis and Miguel

Cabrera.

Let's pause here to say: It's not going to happen. It never was going to happen and, as far as I can determine, there was never any discussion between the clubs.

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky does not respond to trade rumors. So he wouldn't talk about this one. But he refuted it without really refuting it.

"I don't know where that stuff comes from," he said. "There's nothing to 99 percent of it."

So where does it come from?

I first heard the rumor involving the Reds and Marlins a week ago. Someone posted it on fellow Reds beat writer Marc Lancaster's blog.

Lancaster quickly shot it down, which apparently had the effect of gas on a bonfire.

I heard it on talk radio two days later. That added a little more fuel.

The talk about the Marlins wanting to move Willis and Cabrera apparently came from one of the talking heads on ESPN.

My guess is an enterprising Reds fan picked three likely suspects in Kearns, Encarnacion and Wagner to create the Reds' version of it.

The deal makes sense from the Reds' standpoint. They'd get a No. 1 starter and the best young third baseman in baseball. But it makes absolutely no sense from the Marlins' standpoint. Kearns makes $1.85 million. That's huge money in the Marlins' $14.9 million payroll world. And Kearns will get a massive raise in arbitration.

If they were going to move Willis and/or Cabrera, the Marlins could demand the best prospects in the baseball. The Reds don't have the kind of prospects to get the deal done.

Reds-Marlins rumors weren't the only ones out there.

It got to the point that Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria broke with his usual policy of not talking about trades in an effort to end the speculation.

"They are so unfounded as to be ridiculous," Loria told the Miami Herald. "We are not shopping players. We're rebuilding a team here."

What Loria said did little to squelch the ongoing speculation.

It's impossible to un-ring a bell.

So when I walked into Champions Grille the other night, a buddy asked if I'd heard the Reds-Marlins rumor.

"Yes," was my reply. "And, no, it's not true."

My guess is I'll repeat that a lot between now and the trade deadline. A good rumor is easy to start but nearly impossible to kill.

Krivsky had heard the Willis-Cabrera rumor. Heck, word probably got to monks in Tibet.

But Krivsky tries to stay insulated from such talk.

"I don't pay much attention to all the stuff that's on the Internet," he said. Seems like sound advice.

NO GLOATING: If the Brandon Phillips trade is any barometer, Krivsky is on his way to GM of the Year.

"I like that kind of trade," he said.

The Reds gave up next to nothing to get Phillips and, based on the early returns, they could have a second baseman for the next five or six years.

"I just kept going back to the fact that he's 24 and talented," Krivsky said.

Krivsky took heat for obtaining a fourth second baseman at the time of the trade.

"Nobody mentions that one of the second basemen also plays first, third and short," Krivsky said. "One of the others plays center field. One of the others also plays short and is learning the outfield."[/quote]

Archived