Latest update on Paul Wilson

I got this off of the Reds' website. It might spell the end of Dave Williams as a starting pitcher for the Reds. :headbang:

[quote]DAYTON, Ohio -- Paul Wilson admits he's getting impatient with his recovery from shoulder surgery, particularly with the Reds off to their best start since 1994.

"They're playing great baseball," said Wilson. "They're having a lot of fun, and they're having it without me. That's one reason why I'm so eager to get back."

Wilson took an important step toward returning to the Reds on Thursday night at Fifth Third Field in Dayton, tossing seven innings for the Reds' Class A affiliate in his first rehab start.

The 34-year-old right-hander allowed 10 hits, five earned runs, walked none and struck out four.

Wilson, who wore uniform No. 37, threw 92 pitches, 71 for strikes.

"It felt good for being my first time out in front of a crowd," Wilson said. "It's just the next step for me. I was a little anxious. There are still things for me to work on. I thought I got better every inning I went out there. That's encouraging."

Wilson last pitched on Friday in an extended spring training game in Sarasota.

Reds CEO Robert Castellini, pitching coach Tom Hume, and medical director Dr. Timothy Kremchek were among the club officials in attendance on Thursday at Fifth Third Field to watch Wilson's outing.

"He's building up some arm strength," said Kremchek. "After the first inning, his command was there. He's getting his feet underneath him again. He feels like he's awfully close."

Wilson, who will return to Cincinnati on Friday to work out with the team, is expected to make at least one more rehab start before rejoining the Reds.

Wilson underwent season-ending surgery last June to repair the torn rotator cuff and frayed labrum in his right shoulder. Prior to the surgery, Wilson was 1-5 with a 7.77 ERA.

He was coming off a solid 2004 season when he went 11-6 with a 4.36 ERA and led the Reds in starts (29), quality starts (16), innings pitched (183 2/3) and victories.

Wilson allowed one run on two hits, including a double, in the first inning Thursday. He threw 34 pitches in the first two innings, but needed just seven pitches to retire the Peoria Chiefs in order in the third.

Peoria first baseman Ryan Norwood hit a two-run home run off Wilson in the fourth inning. Following Norwood's home run, Wilson retired 10 of the next 11 batters he faced.

Wilson is just the fifth Reds hurler to pitch for Dayton on a rehab assignment and the first since Jimmy Haynes in 2003.

"The whole experience was surreal," Wilson said. "I was in a strange clubhouse and in a strange uniform. But, it's baseball. I could smell the popcorn. I had people cheering for me. The adrenaline was pumping today."[/quote]

Some guy called into 1360 today, he said he went to the game last night and it looked like Wilson was topping out at 84, then didnt have the gun working, prolly because they didnt want to embrass him.

But anyway, a Tee Ball pitcher would be better then Dave Williams right now.

Archived