Combat Diary: The Marines of Lima Company

Nati Ice

[b]Did anybody else watch this last night?[/b]

This documentary is about Lima Company, which for those of you who do not know, or did not watch the piece, is a company of Marine reservists based out of Columbus. The story goes they were activated awhile back and sent to Iraq on a routine mission in an area that had gone pretty much unnoticed by the commanders and had since become a suspected terrorist hotbed. Well, to make a long story short, they were correct. Lima Company amassed the most damage of any company in the Iraqi invasion and this story chronicles the lives, missions, and deaths of its Marines. Being buddies with some of the guys who know these men pretty well I must say it has been told to me that these boys are all sorts of shit now. Battle has done a number on their psyche and no apparent ends are in sight. The documentary starts off describing the company and their mission only to revert back on to the tragedies of the war. I watched this thing for if I remember correctly was approximately the first 45 minutes. The last thing I remember coherently was the mother of Pvt. Dixon (this is probably not the kids name, but that is irrelevant to the point) speaking about her son's death from his untouched room filled wall to wall with flags, Marine Corps. Insignia, and everything you would expect from a young, freshly initiated marine. The pain these guys and their families have been forced to endure is insane, and if this film, particularly this scene, does not bring a tear to your eye then you simply have no soul. I suggest all of you who get the chance watch this in order to get a better understanding of the repercussions of war and potentially unnecessary invasions. I have not cried in years and I did not want last night to eliminate my streak so I pussed out soon after Dixon's mother's interview and will have to re-watch it all tomorrow. Perhaps you all are better men than I... additional viewing times are below as are some other links I have found of the company through youtube.com, and the official page of the documentary on A&E with accompanying preview.

[url="http://www.aetv.com/listings/episode_details.do?episodeid=163325"]A&E.com[/url]

[u]Upcoming Airings:[/u]
Saturday, May 27 @ 8pm/7C
Sunday, May 28 @ 12am/11C
Sunday, May 28 @ 1pm/12C
Monday, May 29 @ 8am/7C
Monday, May 29 @ 2pm/1C
Saturday, June 03 @ 11am/10C

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=BRssz1jmuf8&search=lima%20company"]Battle footage of Lima Company set to music.[/url] - runtime 03:08

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=HSRp-M3xyEk&search=lima%20company"]Several enlisted Lima Company marines engage a target with a HEAT round after taking small arms fire from insurgents from inside the house. (Banadari Bridge)[/url] - runtime 00:10

Disclaimer: Please try to keep the politics at a minimum in this thread.

Archived