Washington Nationals sign 16 Year Old

[quote name='Lawman' post='289865' date='Jul 2 2006, 06:56 PM']Signed for $1.4 million.

Switch-hitter line-drives all over the field, SS does back flips like Ozzie Smith use too.

Just made me think of Freddie Adu.[/quote]

Reds | Team in running for prospect Pena
Sun, 2 Jul 2006 16:18:51 -0700

The Cincinnati Post's Marc Lancaster reports the Cincinnati Reds are among the teams in the mix for 16-year-old Dominican catcher Francisco Pena, the son of New York Yankees coach Tony Pena. Pena is already 6 feet 2, 200 pounds, and is eligible to sign with a big league club for the first time under MLB rules Sunday, July 2.

Guest whodey 85
[quote name='Kochman' post='289881' date='Jul 2 2006, 08:19 PM']Reds | Team in running for prospect Pena
Sun, 2 Jul 2006 16:18:51 -0700

The Cincinnati Post's Marc Lancaster reports the Cincinnati Reds are among the teams in the mix for 16-year-old Dominican catcher Francisco Pena, the son of New York Yankees coach Tony Pena. Pena is already 6 feet 2, 200 pounds, and is eligible to sign with a big league club for the first time under MLB rules Sunday, July 2.[/quote]

So have the Nationals signed him, or is he still available?

edit- never mind, see post below

[quote]WASHINGTON -- The Nationals agreed to terms with shortstop Esmailyn Gonzalez of the Dominican Republic on Sunday. The switch-hitting Gonzalez, 16, will earn a $1.4 million signing bonus and report to the Dominican Summer League Nationals this week.[/quote]

[quote name='dieselman44' post='290164' date='Jul 3 2006, 11:25 PM']Im very confused here, are there two kids? Gonzalez and Pena?[/quote]

Didn't even notice that. Yeah, I think you're right. Gonzalez is a shortstop who was signed by the Nationals. Pena is a catcher who hasn't been signed? Both are 16 year old Dominican kids.

Gee, thanks for confusing us Kochman. :D

Guest whodey 85

[quote name='TheChosenOne' post='290165' date='Jul 3 2006, 11:26 PM']Didn't even notice that. Yeah, I think you're right. Gonzalez is a shortstop who was signed by the Nationals. Pena is a catcher who hasn't been signed? Both are 16 year old Dominican kids.

Gee, thanks for confusing us Kochman. :D[/quote]

Thanx, I was confused as hell.

Archived