Who is "J.B."???

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='ravonaf' post='325875' date='Aug 29 2006, 12:41 PM']Actually. That's total bullshit. Paul Brown was known for his ability to adapt to a changing league. Many of those changes he was a front runner in. No way in hell it would have taken him 15 years to figure it out. You make it sound like soP was just like his father when nothing could be further from the truth. Mike Brown would have adapted and overcome very quickly. He would [b]not [/b]have spent 15 years trying to put a square peg into a round hole.[/quote]

Paul Brown adapted to the game on the field.
He never changed his way of going about business though.

Paul Brown was still alive when they let Max Montoya go to Free Agency.
He thought it was going to ruin the game, and didn`t want to give in to it.

Mike Brown is just like his Father. The only difference was his
Father was a proven winner...

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='325897' date='Aug 29 2006, 12:54 PM']actually Paul Brown was known for changing the league but the business aspects didn't really start to change until the late 80's, early 90's which I think is what Oldschooler was pointing out were Mike's problems as far as building a winner[/quote]

Basically, yeah.

Guest ravonaf
[quote name='oldschooler' post='325912' date='Aug 29 2006, 02:09 PM']Paul Brown adapted to the game on the field.
He never changed his way of going about business though.

Paul Brown was still alive when they let Max Montoya go to Free Agency.
He thought it was going to ruin the game, and didn`t want to give in to it.

Mike Brown is just like his Father. The only difference was his
Father was a proven winner...
Basically, yeah.[/quote]

I can buy that. I think it would have been truly interesting to see how Paul would have handled the 90's. In alot of ways he was right. Free Agency has fucked up the league from a financial aspect. It drives the prices of everything up. The cap is the saving grace. I've always been a firm believer that success leaves clues. When others have figured out the winning formula you just copy them. The most successful teams have figured out how to win on a successful basis. Follow thier model and you can too. Mike followed the old model way to long. Maybe Paul would have also. Who can know for sure.

Archived