Who is "J.B."???

You know the guy.... he's always leading the team out of the tunnel during the pregame introductions. He leads the "Who Dey" locker room chants. He's in just about every sideline camera shot, standing in the background holding a towel or a cup of Gatorade. He's short. He's black. He's been a fixture on the Bengals sideline for God knows how long -- back as far as Wyche, and perhaps even to Gregg.

Here's a photo (click it for a full-screen version):
[url="http://assets.bengals.com/assets/mascot1_1024.jpg"][img]http://assets.bengals.com/assets/mascot1_grab.jpg[/img][/url]
He's running behind Who Dey, ahead of the team, with the "4" tag hanging from his neck.

Who is he?

Guest oldschooler
I made this post in this thread a week or so ago...

[quote name='oldschooler' post='318419' date='Aug 18 2006, 11:49 AM']My vote for the best Bengals fan of all time is a
guy I used to work with a few years back.
His name is James Brown, but people mostly
call him "Jimmie" or just "JB".

When Cincinnati was first given an AFL franchise,
he was one of the very first fans that showed up
at their practices. He was there EVERYDAY. He struck
up a friendship with none other than Paul Brown himself.
Paul Brown liked JB so much, that he offered him a "job"
helping out with whatever needed to be done. Give the
players towels, a drink, whatever.

Anyway, JB is still "working" with the Bengals to this day.
He has been to every Playoff game and Super Bowl the
Bengals have been involved in. In the Middletown Journal,
they had a pic of him on the front page the day after the
Bengals lost to the 49er`s in Super Bowl XXlll. He was crying.

He led the Bengals in the Who-Dey chant in the lockeroom
after the Chiefs win in '03. And he usually leads the team
on the field before the game.

They even have an NFL Films special dedicated to his love
and loyalty to the Bengals. He is the biggest Homer God
ever created...Bengals fan or not.

Anyone ever seen the NFL Films piece on him I`m talking about ?
I forget what the name of it is...[/quote]

[url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=20948"]http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=20948[/url]

Guest oldschooler
Oh and the dude is a human garbage disposal !

He would eat chicken, BONES AND ALL, during lunch at least once a week !

*EDIT* He used to bring me all kinds of signed stuff to work.
I asked him to get me something signed by Corey Dillon
once, and he said "That boy ain`t right, he doesn`t care
about the fans." This was back in 2000 or so...

i talked to him for like a 1/2 hour when i went to the carson palmer corn hole classic, the dude cool as ice, and a very nice guy, i told him that he does the best who dey cheer ever from watching the videos. he said that no one does it better than him, and that when the players are down or not feeling it, he said i give them a who dey and make their day :D

[quote name='oldschooler' post='325780' date='Aug 29 2006, 10:42 AM']I made this post in this thread a week or so ago...
[url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=20948"]http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=20948[/url][/quote]I missed that thread. I just Googled for him, and MAN is he hard to find. Here's an article that ran in the Enquirer on 10/2/05:
[quote][b]Who dey! Where'd it come from?[/b]
BY KEVIN KELLY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

"Who dey?"

Pose it as a question. Use it as a sidewalk salutation. Direct it at those unsuspecting fans from Cleveland or pissburgh. "It says so much more than just that two-syllable sound," longtime Bengals fan Trey Smith said

The distinctive Cincinnati cheer, which dates to the 1981 Super Bowl season and beyond, is revived now the Bengals are off to a 3-0 start.

"Who dey? Who dey? Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengals?

"Nooooooobody!"

A fan since the organization's infancy, [b]Middletown resident James Brown leads Bengals players and coaches in the rhythmic battle cry in the team's locker room after wins at Paul Brown Stadium. This is at the behest of coach Marvin Lewis, who saw Brown leading fans in a highlight film from the '88 season.[/b]

"As long as they do their job, we'll be singing 'Who dey' all the way to the Super Bowl," Brown said. "I say it because I mean it. I really believe if we go out and play our game the way we've been taught, in our home stadium, we aren't going to lose. The players ain't going to let it happen."

The cheer's comeback coincided with the 2003 arrival of Lewis. That highlight film from the '88 Super Bowl season introduced Lewis to it not long after he was hired to reverse the team's losing ways. "Some teams have a certain tradition that they have in that city or that team," said Lewis, who recruited Brown to lead the team in its post-game renditions of the cheer. "I thought it was important, something for the guys to have fun with. When you win you ought to enjoy it. It's something to congratulate them for winning and recognition of winning."

And the players appreciate the thought.

"I picked it up as soon as I got here," Bengals running back Rudi Johnson said. "You can go around here and ask anybody to chant it, and they'll give it to you word for word, line for line.

"It's a good thing, a good thing to have."[/quote]That's funny. I've pretty much got the 1988 highlight film memorized, and J.B. was on the field then. He's seen leading the team from the locker room prior to the AFC title game. The bit about Marvin remembering J.B. "leading the fans" must be a slight misquote, unless J.B. was doing that from the sideline.

Guest oldschooler
JB has been with the Bengals through every coaching change.
The only way he leaves is when he dies.

I bet JB was madder than hell when he saw Cowhead doing the We Dey shit.
He hates every team the Bengals play. He hates their rivals even more.
And even when they were horrible, they were still #1 to him. He never
had anything bad to say about them ever. And when some dudes at work
(A priniting place in Middletown that shut down) would give him hell, he`d
just say, "things are going to turn around soon.... mark my words !"

I bet he feels like he is in Heaven, since Marvin took over...

[quote name='oldschooler' post='325799' date='Aug 29 2006, 11:11 AM']JB has been with the Bengals through every coaching change.
The only way he leaves is when he dies.

I bet JB was madder than hell when he saw Cowhead doing the We Dey shit.
He hates every team the Bengals play. He hates their rivals even more.
And even when they were horrible, they were still #1 to him. He never
had anything bad to say about them ever. And when some dudes at work
(A priniting place in Middletown that shut down) would give him hell, he`d
just say, "things are going to turn around soon.... mark my words !"

I bet he feels like he is in Heaven, since Marvin took over...[/quote]

Now I know where you get it from, Old!!!

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Nati Ice' post='325805' date='Aug 29 2006, 11:15 AM']if im not mistaken hes a mildly retarded "assistant" given the job because of his passion for the bengals, his son is the ballboy for middletowns football and basketball teams.[/quote]

He isn`t "retarded" at all.

Just strung different...

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='325808' date='Aug 29 2006, 11:19 AM']Now I know where you get it from, Old!!![/quote]

haha

Yeah. JB used to love me. He said it was refreshing to see someone
stick by their team through thick and thin. He would get so mad
at people for jumping off the bandwagon.

Some of the conversations we had, have a lot to do with why I defend Mike Brown.
The dude wants to win, he just needed someone like Marvin to help him change with the times...

Guest ravonaf
[quote name='oldschooler' post='325813' date='Aug 29 2006, 12:24 PM']Some of the conversations we had, have a lot to do with why I defend Mike Brown.
The dude wants to win, he just needed someone like Marvin to help him change with the times...[/quote]

That was soP's entire problem. He cound not figure out that he needed to [b]STOP [/b]doing the things that where causing them to lose. He just would not learn. Until finally something in his head snapped. Are we going to have to go through this 15 year learning process again when he dies and Kattie takes over? I hope not.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='ravonaf' post='325817' date='Aug 29 2006, 11:30 AM']That was soP's entire problem. He cound not figure out that he needed to [b]STOP [/b]doing the things that where causing them to lose. He just would not learn. Until finally something in his head snapped. Are we going to have to go through this 15 year learning process again when he dies and Kattie takes over? I hope not.[/quote]

Well in Mike Brown`s defense, he was taught how to run an NFL franchise
from his Father, who is a Legend. Just like if your Dad was considered
a pioneer/Legend in a certain field, taught you how to do it his way, died and
turned things over to you, you`d do things how you were taught to do them.
Mike Brown wasn`t losing money, he just wasn`t winning games.

Right about the time Paul Brown gave Mike Brown the reigns,
the NFL was changing. The had plan B Free Agency. Paul Brown
didn`t believe in it. He thought the way you built a team, that
was going to be competitve for years, was through the draft.
Seems like Marvin has the same kind of mentality.

Paul Brown didn`t believe you "pampered" warriors. So as far
as being "cheap", Mike Brown learned that from his Dad too.
Marvin showed him that you need to "recruit" players.
So he got Mike Brown to open and blow the dust off his checkbook too.

They have been a perfect compliment to each other. Mike Brown has always
had to desire to field a winner. He just needed a coach that was competent
and up with the times enough, to "help" him do it.

Guest ravonaf
[quote name='oldschooler' post='325828' date='Aug 29 2006, 12:46 PM']Well in Mike Brown`s defense, he was taught how to run an NFL franchise
from his Father, who is a Legend. Just like if your Dad was considered
a pioneer/Legend in a certain field, taught you how to do it his way, died and
turned things over to you, you`d do things how you were taught to do them.
Mike Brown wasn`t losing money, he just wasn`t winning games.

Right about the time Paul Brown gave Mike Brown the reigns,
the NFL was changing. The had plan B Free Agency. Paul Brown
didn`t believe in it. He thought the way you built a team, that
was going to be competitve for years, was through the draft.
Seems like Marvin has the same kind of mentality.

Paul Brown didn`t believe you "pampered" warriors. So as far
as being "cheap", Mike Brown learned that from his Dad too.
Marvin showed him that you need to "recruit" players.
So he got Mike Brown to open and blow the dust off his checkbook too.

They have been a perfect compliment to each other. Mike Brown has always
had to desire to field a winner. He just needed a coach that was competent
and up with the times enough, to "help" him do it.[/quote]

Actually. That's total bullshit. Paul Brown was known for his ability to adapt to a changing league. Many of those changes he was a front runner in. No way in hell it would have taken him 15 years to figure it out. You make it sound like soP was just like his father when nothing could be further from the truth. Mike Brown would have adapted and overcome very quickly. He would [b]not [/b]have spent 15 years trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

Guest ravonaf

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='325883' date='Aug 29 2006, 01:47 PM']then how do you explain the 90's?[/quote]

Oops. I meant to say [b]Paul [/b]Brown. I fixed it. :)

Guest ravonaf

[quote name='VonBlade' post='325888' date='Aug 29 2006, 01:49 PM']Quite the cheery motherfucker aren't you.[/quote]

Only when fucking the really pretty mothers. :headbang:

My main issue all along with Mike Brown was the impression he gave during the 1990's that he was content with losing provided it didn't affect his bottom line. Now, I know that probably isn't true, but the perception was that he was cheap, and when he did spend money on players (or built through the draft) he did so unwisely.
A recurring question I keep asking myself is:

Would the Bengals as a team, and individual players like Carter, Klingler, Smith, Big Daddy, etc, etc been much better with our current coaching staff in the 1990's? Or were those players simply bad choices and bad players to begin with?

My final impression is that during those years the Bengals were SO bad from the top on down that it was like parasite that ate itself.

I guess it's all farts in the wind now. We got our mojo back.

Guest happyrid
[quote name='ravonaf' post='325875' date='Aug 29 2006, 01:41 PM']Actually. That's total bullshit. Paul Brown was known for his ability to adapt to a changing league. Many of those changes he was a front runner in. No way in hell it would have taken him 15 years to figure it out. You make it sound like soP was just like his father when nothing could be further from the truth. Mike Brown would have adapted and overcome very quickly. He would [b]not [/b]have spent 15 years trying to put a square peg into a round hole.[/quote]

I assume you mean Paul here. Anyway, let it go man. Times are good. You are constantly so negative. We have one of the best teams in the NFL. Most of the important cogs are signed long term. The next 10 years, the "Carson Palmer era" if you will, are going to be fun. Just enjoy it. Mike Brown has taken plenty of shit for the lost decade. Give him some credit for what look like they appear to be the golden years of Bengal football. Let bygones be bygones.

Guest ravonaf
[quote name='happyrid' post='325899' date='Aug 29 2006, 01:54 PM']I assume you mean Paul here. Anyway, let it go man. Times are good. You are constantly so negative. We have one of the best teams in the NFL. Most of the important cogs are signed long term. The next 10 years, the "Carson Palmer era" if you will, are going to be fun. Just enjoy it. Mike Brown has taken plenty of shit for the lost decade. Give him some credit for what look like they appear to be the golden years of Bengal football. Let bygones be bygones.[/quote]

Dude. I didn't bring the subject us. You don't hear me constantly shiting this [b]THIS [/b]team do you? No, you don't. Those that forget thier past are doomed to repeat it. As we enjoy this absolutely incredible team that Mike and Marvin have put together the last thing we ever want to do is forget about the past. It's who we are as Bengal fans. No way in the 9 hells I will ever let bygones be bygones. It's like an old wound that hurts when it rains. It's a badge of honor that we put up with this shit only to finally have some pay out. It's ok to forgive, but never, ever, fucking forget.

Archived