Do We Trade Kitna Or Not?

Well, this idea has surely been brought up here before, but I guess there's 2 ways you can look at it...1) Kitna is a valuable asset as "the best backup" in the league, and should remain on the bench in case the Bengals injury bug spreads to the QB position, plus he helps Palmer learn to run the offense.

Or, 2) Trade him now while we can because he has high trade value and many teams, like say, Miami, would love to have him AND are loaded with defensive talent, which we so desperately need (Bowens, DT or someone like Madison, S, come to mind)

I guess the real question is whether or not the coaches are going to give up on this season. If we aren't going to give up and we want to compete for a possible (gulp!) wildcard spot, then I think we should trade Kitna now. Face it, even if Palmer does get hurt, the season is already pretty bad so it can't get much worse, but even if it does, we're pretty much used to it by now, aren't we? Plus, isn't Kitna a free agent after this year? And, even if the coaches are conceding the year, then what's the point in retaining Kitna when he won't be here next year anyway? To eke out a couple meaningless wins if/when Palmer gets hurt?

Guest oldschooler
I would agree with trading kitna to miami for a def player..But not to many teams would trade for him. Like you said he is a FA after the season why not just let him go to FA and pick him up for free then.. That seems to be most NFL teams philosophy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I`m pretty sure Kitna is signed through next year.

If Palmer is for sure to stay healthy then I`m all for it.

If he goes down ....do we really want Bramlet in there ? :mellow:

Thats always the catch... Did anyone see the pre game stuff on ESPN last night they had the rams safety showing off the workout he does. He said it helps with impacts and such i think it would be good to implement a lifting program like that with our players due to our risk of injury. He gained like 40 pounds of pure muscle on this program. it was realy high energy workout. Plus he was the one to run back the rams t.d. after the strip.

Kitna signed an extension when he took a pay cut. Yes he took a pay cut the year after he had a pro bowl like season. The man has shown nothing but class throughout this whole situation. I say keep a great backup that knows the offense like the back of his hand. If Carson ever goes down, I know that our offense will be jsut fine.

Guest bengalrick

i really like kitna... but if palmer goes down at this point, lets face it... we're more screwed than we already are... if we want to have a chance this year, or save some time of finding some defensive studs, we need to pull the trigger...

why have two good quarterbacks and no good defensive men... ok, maybe we have a few good ones, but a horrible d in general

Guest bengalrick
NO

I agree we have the best back up in the league!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree... but we also have the worst defense in the league... whats better, a good back up qb or a good defensive starter... i love kitna too, but it's about time to get some value for him, while we still can IMO...

I dont think we could get a D starter for him.. well maybe a safety.. but i dont think they would give up a DT maybe the DE oposite Taylor but they already traded away ogun.. FOR A PLAYER with less skillz then kitna.. i think we missed out there I would have like to seen that trade

Guest BengalLady

I think the real question would be, what could Bramlet do for us if Kitna is gone? I can't remember C. Bramlets history, so I am not to sure how long he has been around, but, is he good enough to step in if something were to happen to Palmer(God forbid)? And if he is any good, why don't we just trade him?

Guest bengalrick
And after we trade Kitna, we would have to bring in someone to backup Palmer. We don't want to end up like the Chicago Bears do we?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i hate to say this, but what will it hurt at this point... like i said above, if we lose palmer, our season is almost for sure over... why have a guy sitting on the bench when you can get a defensive player for him...

i didn't think about it literally, but there is no way that miami will trade a LB or DB (the two main positions we need) so its useless to think about, but seriously, kitna is doing us no good by sitting there yelling at palmer for mistakes... the qb coach can do that, and we need so players on defense... i still say get what we can out of him...

Guest BengalsOwn

Kitna isn't going anywhere. What if we do upgrade our defense signifigantly, and truly have a chance to make the playoffs next season? Say we're 12 games into the season, and Palmer goes down for the rest of the season, and we are 9-3. We then will rely on a 6th or 7th round draft pick to carry this team through the playoffs? That's rediculous.

If we can get a player that we need more, I would agree with the trade. But, I think it might be a loyalty issue with kitna.

He might have taken the paycut and extended his contract with the unsaid clause that he would not be traded.

Remember he also wanted to keep his family here and the church and everything.

I think we might be commited to him.

Guest BengalsOwn
I dunno... I just read the post about Alexander possibly wanting to come here next year and got a little excited.

Hey, it's not the first dumb thing I've ever said around here... won't be the last either. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

If you ever want to check out how much longer a player is under contract for, go to www.nflpa.org and you can do a search and see what they make each year.

Guest BengalsOwn
Don't laugh but he could end up retiring here and could become a QB coach. He might not have the best arm but does have good knowledge of the game. Remember how he was getting on Carson after the one interception against the Ravens!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd love for that to happen. And I heard he wasn't getting onto Carson, he was yelling at him that they were still in the game, trying to get him pumped up.

Don't laugh but he could end up retiring here and could become a QB coach. He might not have the best arm but does have good knowledge of the game. Remember how he was getting on Carson after the one interception against the Ravens!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Plus he loves the game and he is allways motivated and confident. Good for a coach!

Guest Bengal_Smoov

I say we keep Kitna as long as we can. I don't think he has as much value as some believe or that we could get anyone that would be worth losing the ONLY qb on the roster that has more than 5 games experience. We need him for atleast 2 more years.

Hell I say make Kitna the offensive coordinator, and fire Bob"I don't want to run the ball"Bratowski(sp). Did he go to the Mike Martz school of play-calling? Probably not cause even Martz will run the damn ball sometimes.

3rd and inches-Carson drops back to pass and he sacked for a loss of 10 yards, wtf???

Archived