Corey Dillon

Guest mongoloido

I wonder if DontPushMe is planning to give Carl Pickens the key to the city at halftime. After all, he is the All-time Bengals reception leader, with the most TDs. Anything less than a standing ovation, and some butt smooching would just be classless. :)

Guest CincyInDC
what Old said.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='353289' date='Sep 28 2006, 12:30 PM']Well I hope you`re disgusted come Sunday then.

Who cares what Dillon did for this team years ago ?
I`m a BENGALS fan. The stripes are forver. Players come and go.
The best ones in my eyes, retire as Bengals. Or leave on good terms. Dillon did neither.

I don`t care how good a player was while he was here. If he goes
out trashing MY TEAM after he leaves, he`s an asshat and the enemy.
But Dillon didn`t even wait to leave, he started before he left and continued
after he was gone.

That doesn`t make me classless, it makes me a BENGALS FAN and not a Corey Dillon fan.
Just had to throw that in didn`t you ?
That`s your opinion. I can`t say I respect it. Your love fest for Perry and McDillon
while hating on Rudi, is sickening and has grown very old. Dillon is a fumbler.
Rudi isn`t. Dillon is a bitch. Rudi isn`t. Dillon wasn`t part of the solution, he was
part of the problem. He was a cancer. Rudi is a team player. He leads by example.
Dillon was a horse`s ass. Rudi is a work horse.

I have no place for Dillon in my heart.
Dillon was the best loser on a team of losers. But it doesn`t take away the fact that
he is a loser. The only way he could win is to join a team that was already a winner.
Any loser can join a winner. It takes a real man to stick around and turn a loser into
a winner though. Dillon is a piece of shit.[/quote]

[quote name='DontPushMe' post='352981' date='Sep 28 2006, 12:53 AM']Corey Dillon is the best runningback in Bengals team history, and one of the top 5 players in team history. Not only that, but he was the only thing worth watching on this team for 6 years. I think anything less than a standing ovation when he walks onto the field is doing him an injustice. Unfortunately the average fan is classless and wont do it. If he gets booed i will be disgusted.

One more thing, at this point in their careers, Rudi might be on Dillons level, but in Dillons prime, Rudi wouldnt be good enough to carry his bags.[/quote]

in 3 years rudi will have crushed every record corey held here...
[quote name='TheChosenOne' post='353325' date='Sep 28 2006, 01:01 PM']Uhhh... no it's not. 2004 anyone?

[url="http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041212_CIN@NE"]http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041212_CIN@NE[/url][/quote]

that was an away game... BACK means at home, and at home means in cincinnati... :wave:

Guest mongoloido

[quote name='TheChosenOne' post='353325' date='Sep 28 2006, 01:01 PM']Uhhh... no it's not. 2004 anyone?

[url="http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041212_CIN@NE"]http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20041212_CIN@NE[/url][/quote]

What Go said! Suck it, Trebek!!! :P

Guest mongoloido

[quote name='GoBengals' post='353345' date='Sep 28 2006, 01:23 PM']in 3 years rudi will have crushed every record corey held here...[/quote]

Cory did fumble the ball 20 times in 7 seasons with the Bengals. Rudi's only fumbled it 5 times as a Bengal... I'm not sure he'll catch Cory in that stat. :)

[quote name='DontPushMe' post='352981' date='Sep 28 2006, 12:53 AM']Corey Dillon is the best runningback in Bengals team history, and one of the top 5 players in team history. Not only that, but he was the only thing worth watching on this team for 6 years. I think anything less than a standing ovation when he walks onto the field is doing him an injustice. Unfortunately the average fan is classless and wont do it. If he gets booed i will be disgusted.

One more thing, at this point in their careers, Rudi might be on Dillons level, but in Dillons prime, Rudi wouldnt be good enough to carry his bags.[/quote]

Couldn't disagree more with the entire post

Rudi the player >>> McDillon the player

Rudi off the field >>> McDillon off the field

Rudi to the fans >>> McDillon to the fans

[quote name='oldschooler' post='353289' date='Sep 28 2006, 12:30 PM']Dillon is a fumbler. Rudi isn`t. Dillon is a bitch. Rudi isn`t. Dillon wasn`t part of the solution, he was
part of the problem. He was a cancer. Rudi is a team player. He leads by example.
Dillon was a horse`s ass. Rudi is a work horse.[/quote]

Oldschooler setting the record straight

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' post='353815' date='Sep 28 2006, 10:57 PM']Couldn't disagree more with the entire post
Rudi the player >>> McDillon the player

Rudi off the field >>> McDillon off the field

Rudi to the fans >>> McDillon to the fans[/quote]

Dillon also had a weak oline, shitty QB and bad WRs and everyone knew he was going to get the ball a lot. Rudi has the benefit of a great oline, great QB and great WRs.

i love Rudi, but idk if id say he is better than Dillon. Rudi is damn good tho.

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Boobirds expected for Dillon’s return [/b][/size]
Friday, September 29, 2006
Bill Rabinowitz
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

CINCINNATI — The Bengals’ career rushing leader will make his first regular-season return to Cincinnati on Sunday. Corey Dillon probably won’t receive a warm welcome.

"I would assume they would boo," receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh said. "They might boo him because you (media) guys painted a bad picture of him, some of it his fault and some of it not his fault."

While racking up 8,061 yards for Cincinnati, Dillon nursed an image as a malcontent. The Bengals sent him to New England in March 2004 in a trade that has benefited both teams. Dillon gave the Patriots the workhorse they needed to win the Super Bowl, and the Bengals got to showcase Rudi Johnson and draft safety Madieu Williams with the second-round pick they acquired.

Dillon, who returned to Cincinnati for preseason games in 2004 and 2005, is the NFL’s leading active rusher with 10,582 yards. But the 31-year-old is not the clear-cut primary runner for New England this season. He’s sharing time with rookie Laurence Maroney. Both have 169 yards, with Dillon doing it in four fewer carries (41).

[b]Belichick , comedian [/b]

Of all the impressive feats Chad Johnson has accomplished in the NFL, this just might be the most astounding:

Yesterday, Johnson’s playful taunting of New England defensive backs in a conference call with Patriots media got coach Bill Belichick to reveal a sense of humor.

Johnson listed the Patriots cornerbacks and safeties and said he would torch them all. Belichick said he has spent enough time around Johnson to know the talk is all in fun.

"I could throw the same stuff back at him if that’s what he really wanted me to do," Belichick said.

It took only a tiny bit of prodding from the Patriots media for him to do just that.

"Tell him we’d cover him one-on-one all the time, but he pushes off more than any receiver in the league," he said, laughing. "He must be paying off the officials not to call it. We’re going to have to double-cover him some — not that he can get open … "

Cue the apocalypse.

[b]Jeanty , downgraded [/b]

Linebacker Rashad Jeanty (foot) was downgraded from questionable to doubtful. Caleb Miller would replace him.

brabinowitz@dispatch.com[/quote]

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/bengals/bengals.php?story=dispatch/2006/09/29/20060929-F9-03.html"]http://www.dispatch.com/bengals/bengals.ph...0929-F9-03.html[/url]

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Dillon returns to city he worked so hard to leave[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig

Dayton Daily News Staff Writer

Friday, September 29, 2006

CINCINNATI — Tailback Corey Dillon went to extremes to get traded from Cincinnati to New England on April 19, 2004.

He threw his equipment in the stands on Dec. 28, 2003, after the Bengals' season-ending 22-14 home loss to Cleveland. Then he went on a national talk show and trashed Bengals' right tackle Willie Anderson.

But Dillon's exit plan was plotted early in 2003 when he didn't hustle back from a groin injury, letting Rudi Johnson blossom.

"The talking didn't work," said Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who speaks with Dillon frequently. "The 'trade me' didn't work. So the best way to get out was, 'Rudi, come play. Let's show 'em that you can play, and they'll let me go.' ''

After seven turbulent seasons in Cincinnati (1997-2003), the Bengals traded Dillon to the Patriots' for a second-round draft pick (No. 56 overall), which turned out to be safety Madieu Williams.

"That clearly was a situation that worked out well for everybody," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "Both teams gave up something significant, but they got what they wanted and needed.

"Cincinnati's got a great back in Rudi, and they were able to obtain value and get Madieu Williams, who has been a solid player in the secondary. And Corey's helped us. He's been a big part of our success the past couple years. He's had a great career."

Dillon is the NFL's leading active rusher with 10,598 yards, ranking 16th in NFL history. His 1,635 yards and 12 TDs in 2004 helped the Patriots to their third Super Bowl title in four seasons (2001, 2003).

"Corey was a great player here," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. "He was one of the guys I leaned on so much my first year (2003). His accomplishments are huge.

"He got an opportunity to go help (New England) win a world championship. They got the veteran back that they were looking for. Rudi continued to step up and expand his role, and we were able to draft Madieu. It was a win-win for both teams."[/quote]

Guest mongoloido
[quote]"Cincinnati's got a great back in Rudi, and they were able to obtain value and get Madieu Williams, who has been a solid player in the secondary. And Corey's helped us. He's been a big part of our success the past couple years. He's had a great career."[/quote]

Here's one thing that ticks me off about some people's logic regarding the Dillon situation. They say that New England got Cory, and we got Rudi and Madieu. They imply that we got two players for the price of one... We already had Rudi. The truth of the matter is that when Cory left, we got Madieu with a second round pick, but were forced to use our first round pick on Chris Perry. Spinning it to make people believe we got a real bargain is just dumb.

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Running home -- Competitive fire still burns inside Dillon as he returns to Cincinnati[/b][/size]
By John Tomase
Boston Herald Sports Writer

Friday, September 29, 2006 - Updated: 06:49 AM EST

FOXBORO - Corey Dillon’s accomplishments in Cincinnati speak for themselves. He rushed for more than 8,000 yards - including a then-record 278 in one game - made three Pro Bowls, and for seven years was basically the only reason to watch the Bengals.

And yet for all that, Dillon’s tenure in Cincy is remembered largely for the way he left. Frustrated with years of losing and recognizing his days were dwindling, he shot his way out of town in 2004.

He slammed tackle Willie Anderson (“Girlish . . . a bum . . . be a real man.”), disparaged running back Rudi Johnson (“Rudi ain’t Corey Dillon.”) and trashed the organization (“I want out.”). The scorched earth didn’t stop until he reached New England with the baggage of a malcontent, but those who know him best believe he’s misunderstood.

On Sunday, Dillon returns to where it all began. It will be his first visit to the city he once owned and he’ll likely be booed. The way his former teammates see it, it doesn’t matter.

“He has nothing to prove anymore,” said Anderson, who no longer holds Dillon’s comments against him. “He’s not trying to prove anything to the Bengals crowd, or the Bengals players, or even to New England. He’s not trying to prove he’s a top running back because he’s already proven that. He’s played in enough big games to help win a championship. That’s validated.”

Dillon has not made himself available for interviews this week, but it appears he has recovered from a neck stinger suffered Sunday and will suit up for a game that presumably means a lot to him.

“It’s kind of funny,” said Patriots running back Heath Evans. “Knowing Corey, I expected him to be a lot more excited, a lot more talkative. But he’s just kind of having a normal week. What’s he thinking? I could guess, but it would be pure speculation. I’m sure he’s excited and wants to have a good game, but more or less for what we did last week. He wants to get back on track.”

Coming back from a loss is a feeling Dillon knows all too well. He had to do it 78 times in seven years with the Bengals and it beat him down.

“Corey had such a passion about winning that when he was in Cincinnati, people didn’t understand him,” said former Bengals left tackle John Jackson. “They really didn’t understand his frustration. Here you are an All-Pro running back, one of the best in the NFL, and you’re losing year in and year out. It took a toll and it just reached a point where he couldn’t take it anymore.”

[b]The Man is a man [/b]

Dillon was The Man for some truly horrible Cincinnati teams after being selected in the seventh round of the 1997 draft out of Washington.

He topped 1,100 yards in each of his first six seasons, but the Bengals didn’t even finish .500 until 2003, when Dillon succeeded in forcing a trade to the Patriots for a second-round pick that became starting free safety Madieu Williams.

Dillon was a superb talent who had no help around him thanks to some poor drafts (see, Akili Smith) and gross mismanagement.

“When Corey was 25, I used to say he was the best in the league,” Anderson said. “Guys like Marshall Faulk put up numbers, but Marshall Faulk had a quarterback and a defense. We all knew if he got a defense and a lead, Corey was one of those guys who was going to kill you. I definitely think he should be in the Hall of Fame.”

Dillon’s proudest moment in a Bengals uniform came on Oct. 22, 2000, when he rushed for 278 yards in a 31-21 victory over the Broncos. The game wasn’t decided until Dillon tore off TD runs of 65 and 41 yards in the final five minutes.

“The defensive backs didn’t want to touch him,” Jackson said. “Once he got past the linebackers, there’s no way they could catch him or tackle him.”

Dillon rewarded his linemen after that season with matching orange and black, diamond-encrusted Locman watches.

“What I really loved is, if someone took a real good shot at him, he’d find him and hit him back,” Jackson said. “As an offensive lineman you love that. It tells you he’s in it because he’s a real man.”

But the losing took its toll. Dillon needed a new home.

[b]Passionate player [/b]

His chosen method of escape did not exactly establish him as a team-first player. Dillon skipped minicamp, showed up late for training camp, and clashed with first-year coach Marvin Lewis in 2003.

A week after the trading deadline, he demanded to be shipped to the Cowboys. He wore a Raiders jersey on The Best Damn Sports Show and ripped Anderson and Johnson.

The latter had just rushed for 957 yards, however, 400 more than Dillon, who was sidelined with a groin injury.

Dillon’s best friend on the Bengals, wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, said that disparity was partly by design.

“He let Rudi play because he wanted out,” Houshmandzadeh said. “I don’t think it’s because he was injured. He wanted out of town. Talking didn’t do it. Trade me didn’t do it. His best chance was for Rudi to go out there and show them he could play and then they’d let Corey go.”

The Bengals obliged on April 19, 2004 and neither side has looked back. Dillon set a career-high with 1,635 yards and won a Super Bowl in 2004. The Bengals jettisoned a malcontent (“Good riddance,” Anderson said at the time) and under Lewis have joined the class of the AFC. They’ll be heavy favorites against the Patriots Sunday.

“I think the misconception with Corey is nobody can really see what the players see as far as his passion for the game,” Jackson said. “Corey wants to win as badly as anyone I ever played with. It ate him up when he was here.”

It’s hard to cast Dillon’s actions at the end as anything other than selfish, but he wanted to join a winner. Even the former teammates he criticized most recognize there’s more to Dillon than public perception.

“One thing about CD I always loved is when you challenge him, his competitive nature is second to none,” Anderson said. “When you challenge him and say there’s something he can’t do on the football field . . . The best thing they probably did is bring that running back (Laurence Maroney) in. I’m sure (Bill) Belichick, being the smart cookie that he is, knew that.

“One, because it gives Corey a rest. But two, since I’ve known Corey he’s got that competitive edge. He has to show that, ‘I am the real deal.’ Don’t get it twisted. That still exists.”[/quote]

[url="http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=159848&format=&page=1"]http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/...mat=&page=1[/url]

Archived