Kirwan's Unsung Heroes OL Coaches And Alexander Isn't Mentioned!

After reading his breakdown of the OL coaches that are his unsung heroes you get to wonder how good is Paul Alexander as an OL coach. Other OL coaches seem to be able to deal with injuries, rookies starting, etc., and still are able to get the job done. Here we have Braham go out and the offense goes in the tank.

Is he a Mike Brown holdover like Bratkowski that ML inherited and ML will make the change when his contract is up or is he the guy ML wants as his OL coach?

:contract:

[quote name='BengalTillIDie' post='367414' date='Oct 19 2006, 10:14 AM']After reading his breakdown of the OL coaches that are his unsung heroes you get to wonder how good is Paul Alexander as an OL coach. Other OL coaches seem to be able to deal with injuries, rookies starting, etc., and still are able to get the job done. Here we have Braham go out and the offense goes in the tank.

Is he a Mike Brown holdover like Bratkowski that ML inherited and ML will make the change when his contract is up or is he the guy ML wants as his OL coach?

:contract:[/quote]

I would say both of our line coaches should go. Alexander has done well with high draft picks but guys like Atlanta, KC, Denver have done better with undrafted players and late round picks. Where is Koostra is all this mess, he has been here 3 years and gets picked over by a rookie and another guy playing out of position every week. Can he only play on the right side, if he can that is coaching. Hayes hasn't shown me anything, Justin Smith is our only decent d-lineman and he runs on natural talent and heart alone. Geathers is coming along but similar guys have excelled by year 3 in other systems. Peko seems the same as Smith, plays on natural ablility and heart, but I do not think Hayes is helping him get better, the only thing that will help him get better is 2 years with an NFL strength coach. Overall I think Marvin, Brat, Zampese, Coyle, Simmons, and Anderson are above average coaches, but I say get rid of Hayes, Alexander, Hunley, and the worst of them all, Bresnahan. People said when he came from Oakland, you won't love him but you won't hate him, he gives you opportunites but he doesn't dominate a game. I think Cincy is defensive kind of city, we need to build a dominating defense and the offense will follow.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='byrdo_ou' post='367423' date='Oct 19 2006, 10:25 AM']I would say both of our line coaches should go. Alexander has done well with high draft picks but guys like Atlanta, KC, Denver have done better with undrafted players and late round picks. Where is Koostra is all this mess, he has been here 3 years and gets picked over by a rookie and another guy playing out of position every week. Can he only play on the right side, if he can that is coaching. Hayes hasn't shown me anything, Justin Smith is our only decent d-lineman and he runs on natural talent and heart alone. Geathers is coming along but similar guys have excelled by year 3 in other systems. Peko seems the same as Smith, plays on natural ablility and heart, but I do not think Hayes is helping him get better, the only thing that will help him get better is 2 years with an NFL strength coach. Overall I think Marvin, Brat, Zampese, Coyle, Simmons, and Anderson are above average coaches, but I say get rid of Hayes, Alexander, Hunley, and the worst of them all, Bresnahan. People said when he came from Oakland, you won't love him but you won't hate him, he gives you opportunites but he doesn't dominate a game. I think Cincy is defensive kind of city, we need to build a dominating defense and the offense will follow.[/quote]

If you want to fire the majority of our coaching staff after the best season in almost 20 years then you sir are an idiot.

Yes, Alexander's unit is struggling, but last year they were one of the best. They 2 of the 5 starters out with serious injuries and they are being replaced by young inexperienced guys. Alexander can't make the calls before the snap or pass block long enough so that Chad is able to get open down the field and Carson can make the right read and perfect throw.

As the rest of the coaches, they are doing the best with what they've got. The LB corp has been hit hard with injuries, Simmons, Pollack, Nicholson are all not playing due to injuries and Odell took himself out of the league.

I agree that the defense can be more dominating but having the players to dominate really helps, there's only so much that a scheme can give you.

Alexander is a good coach and we're lucky to have him. He's done well with guys like Kooistra(who is underrated IMO, after improving steadily each year in the system and is now one our most valuable backups next to Andrews and Whitworth).

The coaching isn't the problem on the o-line, it's the plain and simple fact that we have a lack of solid depth and stability at the one most important position on the o-line - the center position.

The center position is more important to this offense than most other teams because, our offense is all about timing and rythmn, which doesn't stem from Carson but stems from the center.

If our center plays well (and gets everybody lined up correctly), then our o-line will play well, and so hence Carson will play well.

Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='BengalTillIDie' post='367414' date='Oct 19 2006, 10:14 AM']After reading his breakdown of the OL coaches that are his unsung heroes you get to wonder how good is Paul Alexander as an OL coach. Other OL coaches seem to be able to deal with injuries, rookies starting, etc., and still are able to get the job done. Here we have Braham go out and the offense goes in the tank.

:contract:[/quote]

What has he done that's special? Create a good O-line with 2 1st round picks, and a second round pick?

He hasn't done shit with anyone other than high draft picks, and maybe Bobbie Williams...

Archived