Blizzard in Denver

Nelson Muntz

(AP) DENVER A lumbering storm moving from the Southwest and drawing moisture out of the Pacific was mixing with cold air from the north Tuesday, threatening Colorado with high winds and heavy snow.

The National Weather Service posted blizzard warnings for most of eastern Colorado and winter storm warnings for the foothills.

The Aurora Public Schools, Denver Public Schools, Littleton Public Schools and Jefferson County Schools were among the districts that canceled classes for Wednesday. Douglas County Schools were already out for winter break. Staff there was told not to report on Wednesday.

Interstate 70 was closed in both directions from just east of Denver to the Kansas border because of blizzard conditions, according to the Colorado Department of transportation.

Forecasters said metro Denver can expect up to 20 inches by Thursday afternoon.

The storm has already dropped over a foot of snow in parts of the state's southwestern mountains, on top of the foot or more that had fallen there recently.

Durango Mountain Resort reported 17 inches of snow Tuesday and Wolf Creek ski area had 19 inches of new snow. More snow was expected overnight.

Some Durango residents, some of them apparently playing hooky, hit the slopes after the chairlifts opened a little late because of the snow.

"It was an epic powder day of skiing and snowboarding," Durango Mountain Resort spokeswoman Loryn Kasten said.

She hoped news of the snow would help bring more even more people to Colorado during the busy week between Christmas and New Year's.

Roseanne Pitcher, Wolf Creek's vice president, said 23 inches of snow have fallen there since Sunday.

"We're happy. We've been getting a little over 2,000 skiers a day," Pitcher said.

In the east, there's a chance of a few inches falling by Wednesday morning, with the storm energizing during later in the day.

North winds of up to 25 miles per hour are expected to add to driving hazards. The Weather Service urged motorists to consider postponing travel until Friday.

United Airlines offered to waive fees and restrictions for passengers who wished to change tickets to avoid traveling through Denver, where the airline has a large hub

[quote name='Naptown Bengal' post='411498' date='Dec 20 2006, 10:23 AM']Weather shouldn't be a factor by kickoff on Sunday. Weather Channel right now is forecasting a high of 43, low of 25 with mostly sunny conditions.
[img]http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/9145/denverweatherfb1.png[/img][/quote]

are you trying to steal my thunder you bastard???

j/k

:ninja:

I called this morning to re-confirm my flight to Cincy leaving from DIA. My flight was at 8:15 AM Thursday and they had already canceled it. The earilest I can could get out was Saturday morning. At least I'll be home for Christmas. If I couldn't get out I would be scapling tickets Sunday afternoon which is not so bad either.

[quote name='McBallerson' post='411739' date='Dec 20 2006, 04:02 PM']I called this morning to re-confirm my flight to Cincy leaving from DIA. My flight was at 8:15 AM Thursday and they had already canceled it. The earilest I can could get out was Saturday morning. At least I'll be home for Christmas. If I couldn't get out I would be scapling tickets Sunday afternoon which is not so bad either.[/quote]

Good luck. Be careful.

Archived