Dunn undergoes minor tweaking

The Entertainer

[quote][size=3][b]Dunn undergoes minor tweaking[/b][/size]
Reds notebook
BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

SARASOTA, Fla. - It's fair to say that if Brook Jacoby didn't have a history of success with Adam Dunn, Jacoby might not be the Reds' new hitting coach.

But Jacoby was a roving instructor in the Reds' minor league system when Dunn was a phenom, bashing his way to the big leagues.

Dunn's average has slipped from .266 to .247 to .233 over the last three years - this from a guy who hit .304 in 1,208 minor-league at-bats.

The Reds are hoping Jacoby can reverse the downward trend. Jacoby got a head start on the Dunn project by going to Houston to work with Dunn in January.

"We're trying to have less movement," Jacoby said. "It allows him to better recognize the pitch."

Not exactly a swing makeover.

"It's a slight tweak," Jacoby said. "I told him that. It's not going to rock your world."

Dunn is receptive to the change.

"I'm all for it," he said.

Jacoby was pleased with the change when he saw Dunn hit after reporting to camp.

"I was surprised when he came in," Jacoby said. "He's working on it. He wants to get it right."[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070226/SPT04/702260326/1071/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url]

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='schotzee' post='445960' date='Feb 26 2007, 12:47 PM']Well,I'm not a Dunn lover,but I have to give him credit if he's working on a change to his swing and receptive to it.[/quote]

he also worked on cutting back on his SO's last year... before coming 1 short of breaking his own record...

i hope he gets it together because as far as hitting goes, he has the most upside of anyone i can think of...

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='bengalrick' post='446102' date='Feb 26 2007, 04:27 PM']he also worked on cutting back on his SO's last year... before coming 1 short of breaking his own record...

[b]i hope he gets it together because as far as hitting goes, he has the most upside of anyone i can think of...[/b][/quote]
Edwin Encarnacion OWNS him in hitting and upside. Edwin is going to be our best bat in the past 20 years. His upside is so big and he was showing last year how clutch he is.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='446149' date='Feb 26 2007, 06:44 PM']I disagree, but I don't feel like having the same arguement about Dunn over and over again with ya'...[/quote]
dunn has a lot of upside, but NOWHERE near that of Edwin. And I believe most of the Dunn supporters on the board would agree to this.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='TDB' post='446309' date='Feb 27 2007, 01:18 AM']I think Dunn has more upside than Edwin, but I doubt he'll ever make anything of it. Edwin looks more capable of tapping into that talent and producing with it.[/quote]
Edwin does it all. He will go to all fields, has power to go to all fields and is clutch. I personally think Edwin will go down as one of the all time great Reds players. Edwin has all the tools to be a superstar, Dunn just has the power.

Dunn is Greg Vaughn minus the leadership skills and effort.

Archived