How cool would it be

Guest BengalBacker

Guest BengalBacker
to see Hamilton trot in to face one or two batters, pick someone off of first, then trot back out to the outfield?

From Hal McCoy's "ask Hal":

[quote]Q — Have the Reds thought about letting Josh Hamilton pitch the seventh, eighth and ninth innings? He does everything else and maybe he has a mean changeup hiding under his tattoos. — Jason, Dayton.

A — You asked in jest, but it isn't beyond the realm. When the Tampa Bay Devil Rays drafted him in 1999 as the No. 1 pick in the nation, they asked him, "Do you want to pitch or play the outfield?" They, like every team that scouted him, saw Hamilton play the outfield, the infield, catch ... and pitch. Said one scout, "A 96 mph fastball in high school and the best pickoff move to first base I ever saw." Hamilton chose the outfield because he wanted to play every day, but he was serious this spring when he said, "If they want me to close, I'd love to walk in from center field or right field and close games." Don't doubt him on that.[/quote]

It would be amazing given the current era of baseball where nobody does that sort of thing anymore. Plus it isn't as if the Reds don't need help in that area, and chances are that Hamilton would be better than many in our bullpen.

Guest Tigris
[quote name='Bunghole' post='486076' date='May 13 2007, 04:49 PM']It would be amazing given the current era of baseball where nobody does that sort of thing anymore. Plus it isn't as if the Reds don't need help in that area, and chances are that Hamilton would be better than many in our bullpen.[/quote]
the entire pitching staff has been shit. they need to bring up the youngsters before their record gets too far below .500

[quote name='Tigris' post='486079' date='May 13 2007, 03:01 PM']the entire pitching staff has been shit. they need to bring up the youngsters before their record gets too far below .500[/quote]
Our starters outside of Milton have actually pitched very well. They either get little run support (Arroyo) or the bullpen melts down and gives up the meat in the 6/7/8 innings.
I recall a few seasons ago when our bullpen was considered one of the best in the league but our starting pitching was so sorry that they wore down.
Our offense can't hit a lefty to save their lives either, which certainly hasn't helped.
There's hope yet, but it's a faint glimmer unless they start getting their shit together soon.
We need an awesome June to make up for a horrible end of April/beginning of May, or we're done before the All-Star Break.

Guest Tigris
[quote name='Bunghole' post='486119' date='May 13 2007, 07:31 PM']Our starters outside of Milton have actually pitched very well. They either get little run support (Arroyo) or the bullpen melts down and gives up the meat in the 6/7/8 innings.
I recall a few seasons ago when our bullpen was considered one of the best in the league but our starting pitching was so sorry that they wore down.
Our offense can't hit a lefty to save their lives either, which certainly hasn't helped.
There's hope yet, but it's a faint glimmer unless they start getting their shit together soon.
We need an awesome June to make up for a horrible end of April/beginning of May, or we're done before the All-Star Break.[/quote]

you're right

arroyo 2.87
belisle 3.45
lohse 4.01
harang 5.04
milton 5.17

arroyo is doing well, and thanks to decent starts by belisle and lohse their eras arent 4+ and 5+ right now. uhm... im not as big a baseball man as i am football, actually, it's not anywhere close... but i know a 5+ era isnt acceptable no matter where you're pitching or who you play for. that stuff has got to change real quick. the best guy in the pen, besides weathers, is santos... and he has a 3.45 era and a whip of 1.62.

we may be seeing bailey within a month

Archived