"No You Can't" -vs- "Yes We Can"

BlackJesus

[quote name='Actium' post='639968' date='Mar 4 2008, 04:04 PM']These problems really started once college became something for everyone. The solution, of course, would be to emphasize vocational schools and have blue collar positions once again. That would solve the problems of inflated post-secondary education costs, and the lack of a manufacturing sector in the United States.

If you do go to law school, don't count on scholarships to help you through. They are quite rare, although they do sometimes award them.

As for government control to help injustices, usually that sounds good in rhetoric but not in practice. For instance, the minumum wage--as it rises, it usually forces out employees. So instead of having 10 employees at 5 dollars an hour (say 5 is the minimum wage), a business will just have 5 employees at 10 dollars an hour if that is the minumum wage. It will be a net minus on the populace, not only because of 5 newly unemployed people, but also because that company's service will decline.

Anyway, that is laregely theoretical because it ignores the problem of the shadow economy engenered by illegal immigration, who are hired under the table at below the government mandated minumum wage, and who thus do not benefit from it, who force out those 5 employees who would have, and on top of it all don't pay any taxes to go towards the other governmental social justice programs.[/quote]

I think great points here. It is easy to forget that an education has never been a right in this country but rather a privilege and benefit. Our attempt to make it available to all is admirable but the burden must be held by all too - yet in a fair and reasonable manner which I still think is more local support without the feds forcing bad education on students by handcuffing teachers (no child left behind act)

So for govt to bear that burden (also in light illegals sucking from the system) is the injustice to all of us who pay. This is why local community and voluntary service is so important. Not to mention let's start teaching children about money sooner - most do not have a clue how to save, invest, and to make what they have work for them. Our society of riches and also of govt providing things almost as if from thin air (ie we do not feel the pain of providing for it and those getting surely don't because their tax burden is low) has ruined us to the idea of local and voluntary care of those in need. like I said, I'd be happy with a mix. Funny thing is that we are still the most charitable peoples on the planet so not sure where all that money is going but the ugly truth is that a democracy is not going to be sterile and clean.

[quote name='Actium' post='639968' date='Mar 4 2008, 04:04 PM']These problems really started once college became something for everyone. The solution, of course, would be to emphasize vocational schools and have blue collar positions once again. That would solve the problems of inflated post-secondary education costs, and the lack of a manufacturing sector in the United States.

If you do go to law school, don't count on scholarships to help you through. They are quite rare, although they do sometimes award them.

As for government control to help injustices, usually that sounds good in rhetoric but not in practice. For instance, the minumum wage--as it rises, it usually forces out employees. So instead of having 10 employees at 5 dollars an hour (say 5 is the minimum wage), a business will just have 5 employees at 10 dollars an hour if that is the minumum wage. It will be a net minus on the populace, not only because of 5 newly unemployed people, but also because that company's service will decline.

Anyway, that is laregely theoretical because it ignores the problem of the shadow economy engenered by illegal immigration, who are hired under the table at below the government mandated minumum wage, and who thus do not benefit from it, who force out those 5 employees who would have, and on top of it all don't pay any taxes to go towards the other governmental social justice programs.[/quote]

Just a quick aside, I am aware that law schools do not give aid....I am applying for a few fellowships and scholarships that I have been nominated for this is why I have yet to decide where I am going to further my education.

I tend to think that no gonvermental interventional as a whole would be a problem. Something needs to counter what is going on. That is not to say that the government has presented the correct solutions and thats also not to say that the government is doing everything right....I am just saying that policy through the government can help fix these problems.

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='639991' date='Mar 4 2008, 04:02 PM']Just a quick aside, I am aware that law schools do not give aid....I am applying for a few fellowships and scholarships that I have been nominated for this is why I have yet to decide where I am going to further my education.

I tend to think that no gonvermental interventional as a whole would be a problem. Something needs to counter what is going on. That is not to say that the government has presented the correct solutions and thats also not to say that the government is doing everything right....I am just saying that policy through the government can help fix these problems.[/quote]

Government aid doesn't work, but neither does government silence. Nothing works forever--politics is just temporary solutions to temporary problems. Oftentimes the cure to one poison is a poison itself, and soon one must provide the antidote to that.

There's no justice in the world if your vision stretches far enough. Justice can only exist in a limited field.

Archived