Final Mock Draft

[u][b]Round 1 (6)
LB Aaron Curry 6’2” – 254lbs Wake Forest[/b][/u]

It sounded crazy a week ago, but for whatever reason, I think Curry is actually going to fall us. Curry hits like a ton of bricks, is very light on his feet, can run a 4.60 forty-yard dash, and routinely “power cleans” close to 400 pounds. Any questions? Curry is a big play linebacker and can deliver the big hit and cover a lot of ground. He is also extremely versatile and does a good job against both the run and the pass. Curry displays world-class explosiveness, quick play recognition and flawless tackling techniques. The beauty in Curry is that what you see on Sunday is the same thing you’ll see on Tuesday. That’s exactly the kind of player that can turn a good defense into a great defense.
[u][b]
Round 2 (38)
C Eric Wood 6’3” – 310lbs Louisville[/b][/u]

Wood is the picture of durability. The unquestioned leader of the Cardinals' front wall, he finished his career with 49 consecutive starts at center. Called by many the "most prepared player in the nation", Wood has been known to be found in the wee hours of the morning still examining game tapes in the film room. He has never had to take on the type of nose tackles that he will see in the pros, however, he held up really well against BJ Raji in the Senior Bowl because he works extremely well in combination with his guards. He is an "old school" no-nonsense type player who responds well to hard coaching and will not hesitate to get in a teammate's face when he needs to.

[u][b]Round 3 (70)
OT Fenuki Tupou 6’6” – 314lbs Oregon [/b][/u]

Even though the 6-foot-5, 314-pound Tupou has good speed, he is better suited as a mauler and seemed out of place in Oregon's spread offense. In 2007, he was the MVP of the Sun Bowl, as he manhandled All-American pass rusher George Selvie, holding the South Florida standout to one assisted tackle while knocking him down 10 times. In the same mold of the Anthony Collins pick a year ago, Tupou can step into the RT role and allow Whitworth to remain at guard. He also apparently had a great interview with Bengals offensive line coach Paul Alexander at the combine and impressed them with his knowledge of the game. Sounds very similar to what was said about Whitworth when he was drafted.

[u][b]Round 3 (98) (Compensatory selection)
CB Keenan Lewis 6’0” – 208lbs Oregon State[/b][/u]

Lewis’ rare height for the position have some believing that he may project to safety in the NFL, however, his strong man-to-man coverage skills should translate just fine as a corner. He is at his best in press coverage where he can get his long arms on the receiver and disrupt the timing of the passing game. Blessed with a long, lanky build, strong hand punch and an explosive burst to close, Lewis is well suited to aggressive man-to-man schemes. He showed the quick feet to turn and run with the receiver at the Senior Bowl with a solid week of practice. Lewis has the athleticism and instincts to be a valuable addition early on.

[u][b]Round 4 (106)
RB Javon Ringer 5’9” – 205lbs Michigan State[/b][/u]

While some analysts seem to think that we need to spend a top pick on a running back, I think it would be a mistake to do so. While Ringer’s stock seems to have dropped off due to the underclassmen entering the draft, there is no denying his production. Ringer is a hard-nosed runner who has exceptional balance to keep his feet and generate the strength needed to break tackles. He has very good hands as well as excellent field vision and instincts to create even in the smallest of creases. He can carry the load and give you 30+ carries if needed, but he is probably better suited as a rotational player. While he has some significant wear and tear on his tires, Ringer has shown great resiliency in returning from injury.

[u][b]Round 5 (142)
P Kevin Huber 6’-1” – 221lbs Cincinnati[/b][/u]

With Larson REALLY struggling this past season, I think you have to think the Bengals will want to make upgrading the position a priority this offseason. Huber is by far the best of the class with his ability to get great distance as well as pin the opposition inside the twenty. Being a left-footed punter, he can also give return men fits because of the unusual spin on the ball. His ability to pin opponents inside the 10 allowed Cincinnati's aggressive defense to wreak havoc. He would be a big addition to both special teams and to the defense as well.
[u][b]
Round 6 (179)
FB Will Ta'ufo'ou 5’11” – 253lbs California[/b][/u]

A punishing blocker and spiritual leader of the team, Will Ta’ufo’ou has been a force in leading the Bear’s running game. While he has taken a beating at times, you almost have to force him to stay off the field. He was supposed to accept a spot on the bench when he tore his PCL in training camp and was predicted to miss 3-6 weeks. He was supposed to miss another three weeks when his MCL faltered in Week 4, and his high-ankle sprain in Week 8 was supposed to end his season. Instead, he only missed two games while leading the way for one of the best running games in the nation. While Alex Mack & Jahvid Best got a lot of the credit for Cal’s explosive running game, Ta’ufo’ou’s contributions are no less significant.

[u][b]Round 6 (209) (Compensatory selection)
TE Dan Gronkowski 6’6” – 255lbs Maryland[/b][/u]

While Reggie Kelly is still a solid starter, I think at some point they need to find his replacement at some point. Gronkowski is not going to stretch the field vertically, but he does have very good initial pop at the line of scrimmage as a blocker. With good upper body strength and strong legs to drive defenders off the ball, Gronkowski is a very accomplished blocking tight end. He has good lateral agility and the balance to stay square with defenders and will get to the second level to block downfield. He’s only going to be a short yardage receiving threat, but he provides a big target. He’ll likely start on the practice squad just like Sherry did, but I would expect him to give Coats a run for his money for the last TE spot.

[u][b]Round 7 (215)
WR Sammy Stroughter 5’9” – 189lbs Oregon State[/b][/u]

It is about time that we brought in someone not named Antonio Chatman to return punts. Stroughter has good lateral quickness and has surprising strength against press coverage. While more quick than fast, Stroughter can make defenders miss in small quarters and has the vision to set up blocks to turn short and intermediate routes into long gains. He may not make an impact outside of special teams, but at this point in the draft, that is about all you can expect.

[u][b]Round 7 (249) (Compensatory selection)
QB Todd Boeckman 6’5” – 243lbs Ohio State[/b][/u]

Boeckman has the prototypical frame with a big time arm, but is also very immobile. During his career at Ohio State he has appeared in 25 games and completed 64 percent of his passes, showing good touch on throws all his throws. While he may have the mobility of Brad Johnson, he has all the tools to fit perfectly in our offensive style. He would have a good shot a winning the 3rd quarterback spot from Jordan Palmer, but would realistically start out on the practice squad.
[u][b]
Round 7 (252) (Compensatory selection)
OG Ramon Foster 6’5” – 328lbs Tennessee [/b][/u]

Foster is a massive tackle who most likely will have to move to guard in the pros. He doesn’t have the best foot speed, but a move to guard will help cover his weaknesses and allow him to use his strength more effectively. There are a lot of flaws in his abilities, but he is a practice squad prospect at best this late in the draft.

[u][b]2009 Roster:[/b][/u]

[u][b]Quarterback:[/b][/u]
QB Carson Palmer
QB J.T. O’Sullivan
QB Jordan Palmer

[u][b]Offensive Line:[/b][/u]
LT Anthony Collins
LG Andrew Whitworth
C Eric Wood
RG Bobbie Williams
RT Fenuki Tupou
C Kyle Cook
G Nate Livings
T Levi Jones
T Scott Kooistra

[u][b]Running Backs:[/b][/u]
RB Cedric Benson
RB Javon Ringer
RB Gary Russell
[u][b]
Fullbacks:[/b][/u]
FB Will Ta'ufo'ou
[u][b]
Tight Ends:[/b][/u]
TE Ben Utecht
TE Reggie Kelly
TE Daniel Coats
[u][b]
Wide Receivers:[/b][/u]
WR Chad Ocho-Cinco
WR Laverneous Coles
WR Chris Henry
WR Andre Caldwell
WR Jerome Simpson
WR Sammy Stroughter

[u][b]Defensive Line:[/b][/u]
DE Robert Geathers
DE Antwan Odom
DT Domato Peko
DT Pat Sims
DE Frostee Rucker
DE Jonathan Fanene
DT Tank Johnson
DT Jason Shirley

[u][b]Linebackers:[/b][/u]
WLB Keith Rivers
MLB Dhani Jones
SLB Aaron Curry
MLB Jim Maxwell
WLB Brandon Johnson
SLB Rashad Jeanty
[u][b]
Cornerbacks:[/b][/u]
CB Leon Hall
CB Jonathan Joseph
CB David Jones
CB Keenan Lewis
CB Simeon Castille

[u][b]Safeties:[/b][/u]
FS Chinedum Ndukwe
SS Chris Crocker
FS Marvin White
FS Corey Lynch
SS Kyries Herbert

[u][b]Special Teams:[/b][/u]
K Shayne Graham
P Kevin Huber
LS Brad St. Louis

[u][b]Practice Squad:[/b][/u]
QB Todd Boeckman
TE Dan Gronkowski
OG Ramon Foster
WR Mario Urrutia
C Andrew Crummey
RB James Johnson

I don't see it happening, but this draft would be a near DREAM!

I watched a lot of MSU football and I'm not sold on Ringer. I have a feeling his best days are behind him. So, I'd rather we pick up a different back in the fourth ...

Don't know much about Gronkowski, but I was thinking Richard Quinn in the sixth, and this guy sounds fairly similar, so I'd take it!

• 3 months later...

Archived