My Draft Grade

My Grade: A
My Draft Grade and who I would have drafted

Actual Pick: Andre Smith T. Bengals take one of top tackles.

I would have picked: Eugene Monroe. I think he is more mature and more of a LT. Andre Smith may end up being great but I could also see him struggling after he has success. Monroe had some injury questions. Right position wrong player IMO.

Other Possibilities: Brian Orokpo, Michael Crabtree.

Actual Pick: Rey Mualaga LB. Bengals take BPA who is also at a position of need.

I would have picked: Mualaga. This was an unbelievable pick. No one thought he would be there this late and he can be the heart of the defense that Marvin has been looking for since he got here.

Other Possibilities: Everette Brown, Max Unger.

Actual Pick: Michael Johnson DE. Bengals once again take BPA

I would have picked: Johnson. He adds another pass rusher to the rotation and he comes on the cheap. At the time I was yelling Antoine Caldwell but I think we can be OK at center and that Caldwell does not add much over Cook or Santucci.

Other Possibilities: Antoine Caldwell

3b.
Actual Pick: Chase Coffman TE. Bengals take BPA available again at TE, not a need position

I would have picked: DJ Moore CB. The Vanderbilt Corner could have been our nickel back and PR from day 1. I see those both as needs over TE. However Coffman was a great pick.

Actual Pick: Jonathon Luigs C. Bengals take best C available

I would have picked: Austin Collie WR. Collie was one of those players who I targeted as desperately wanting to come out of this draft with so I take him here to do so. He doesn’t fit a need but I think he would have thrived catching timing routes from Carson and will do so from Peyton. Luigs is a solid pick but what makes me gunshy is that he is similar to Ghiacuc in terms of his deficiencies. I am not sure he offers a great deal more than what we already have at the position. I like the logic of taking the last very good center and seeing what he can do though. It was certainly not a bad pick.

Actual Pick: Kevin Huber P: Bengals take the Punter they want and immediately cut the other two.

I would have taken: FB Quinn Johnson. Johnson was either number 1 or 1a in terms of blocking FBs coming out so I think he would have solidified the position. However the Bengals had a guy in mind that they felt they could get later (and did) and they clearly saw their current punters as being not as good as Huber. People keep telling me how bad the punting was last year and I must have blocked this out of my mind by focusing on the rest of the horribleness. Another very logical pick by the Bengals.

Other Possibilities: Duke Robinson and Cornelius Ingram would have been great value here.

Actual Pick: Morgan Trent CB: Bengals take athletic but unpolished Michigan CB.

I would have taken: Bear Pascoe TE: The way my draft laid out. We already had our nickel back but no TE. Pascoe is more Reggie Kelly then Ben Utecht. Kelly is aging and at the end of his deal. Utecht has two more years left. The Trent pick was the first real head scratcher, however he flashed ability in college and played a lot.

6b.
Actual Pick: Bernard Scott RB: Bengals take the uber troubled uber productive small school back.

I would have taken: Bernard Scott RB: This is where you start taking your niche players. Watching Scotts video he is clearly worth a flyer here despite his record. At the very worst he gets cut. At the best he is a nice compliment to Benson and provides a shiftiness we lack in the backfield.

Actual Pick: Fui Vakapuna FB: Bengals take FB they have had sights on.

I would have taken: Ricky Jean Francois DT: I already took my FB and Jean-Francois is a low risk high reward here. He has flashed all American ability but was not able to put it all together on the field.

7b
Actual Pick: Clinton McDonald DT: Bengals take high motor low stamina DT for rotation

I would have taken: McDonald: I think this is one of my favorite picks. He could end up being a more consistent Fanene.

7c.
Actual Pick: Freddie Brown WR: Bengals take a WR who was not even listed in PFWs list of top 120 WRs.

I would have taken: Quan Cosby……we got him anyway. I think he fills the Chatman niche role better then Brown and that’s where our needs lie.

This draft was amazing for the Bengals. They got incredible value and there was logic in each of their picks. In past drafts guys fell to them and people were screaming for us to get them and they drafted Sean Brewer or Jerome Simpson. Here they waited patiently and picked the right guys. No stretches at all in this draft.

My theory on drafting NFL QBs is coming into play more and more. Only 9 QBs were drafted in all with just 6 being drafted as developmental down the road guys. Who knows if this is a one time thing or a trend?

Their draft: Analysis from NFL.com

Round 1, Pick 6 (6) Andre Smith OT 6'4" 332 Alabama Pick Analysis:Marvin Lewis has stated that he wants to get back to running the football, and Smith gives the Bengals a dominating offensive tackle to run behind. Though he had a series of mishaps in the run up to the draft, there is no denying that Smith is one of the best tackle prospects in the draft.

Round 2, Pick 6 (38) Rey Maualuga ILB 6'2" 249 Southern Cal Pick Analysis:After surprisingly dropping out of the first round, Maualuga lands with the Bengals at No. 38. The high-motor playmaker from USC gives Marvin Lewis a heavy hitter at middle linebacker. With last year's top pick (Keith Rivers) coming back from an injury, the Bengals have a pair of young and athletic linebackers to anchor the middle of the defense.

Round 3, Pick 6 (70) Michael Johnson DE 6'7" 266 Georgia Tech Pick Analysis:The Bengals pick up an edge rusher with first-round talent with their selection of Johnson. A tall, rangy athlete with explosive quickness, Johnson has the ability to run down quarterbacks from the backside. Though he doesn't play with great effort at all times, he has the potential to be an impact player as a situational pass rusher.

Round 3, Pick 34 (98) (Compensatory selection) Chase Coffman TE 6'6" 244 Missouri Pick Analysis:A foot injury prevented him from probably being drafted higher. He's an excellent receiving tight end, but he'll have to learn how to block. He has outstanding hands and will be one of those move-type tight ends. His father was an All-Pro tight end with the Packers. His coach at Missouri said Coffman is the one guy who will go to the NFL and be good right away.

Round 4, Pick 6 (106) Jonathan Luigs C 6'4" 301 Arkansas Pick Analysis:Cincy needed a center and looked at all of them. The Bengals staff coached at the Senior Bowl and saw Luigs quite a bit. He was a four-year starter and the center of the year in 2007. Some people feel he tailed off. The question is, how is he going to handle the power nose tackles? He may have to hit the weights a bit to handle the Ravens and Steelers defenses.

Round 5, Pick 6 (142) Kevin Huber P 6'1" 220 Cincinnati Pick Analysis:The first punter off the board is an outstanding weapon as a directional punter. Huber has the ability to flip the field with his booming punts, and he will emerge as a viable weapon in the kicking game.

Round 6, Pick 6 (179) Morgan Trent CB 6'1" 193 Michigan Pick Analysis:Trent had a lot of starts in college and he runs pretty well. He's fast in workouts but does not play to his timed speed. He's not a good tackler. There have been questions about his backpedal and he struggles in route recognition, but his athleticism gives him a chance.

Round 6, Pick 36 (209) (Compensatory selection) Bernard Scott RB 5'10" 200 Abilene Christian Pick Analysis:Scott is an ideal third-down back. He's the type of player you want to get out in space isolated on a linebacker after catching the ball. The Bengals can use him as a potential replacement for Kenny Watson. Many red flags, including his age (25), being kicked off two teams (one in high school, one in college) and several run-ins with police.

Round 7, Pick 6 (215) Fui Vakapuna RB 5'11" 244 BYU Pick Analysis:Vakapuna is a big, strong running back. He does not have as much quickness or change-of-direction skill, but he's a situational running back that can be productive at the goal line. The Bengals locked in on Vakapuna at the BYU Pro Day and then followed through with the pick.

Round 7, Pick 40 (249) (Compensatory selection) Clinton McDonald DE 6'2" 289 Memphis Pick Analysis:McDonald shot up draft boards and into draft consideration after an outstanding workout at Memphis' pro day. His athleticism gives Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer something to work with.

Round 7, Pick 43 (252) (Compensatory selection) Freddie Brown WR 6'3" 215 Utah Pick Analysis:Brown lacks experience but has some upside going into Cincinnati with the unstable wide receiver situation there. He is a tall possession receiver who's not afraid to go over the middle. He can go up and get it, but he doesn't have top-flight speed. He really broke out and became the go-to guy in his senior season.

My Picks
Round 1, Pick 8 (8) Eugene Monroe OT 6'5" 309 Virginia Pick Analysis:The Jaguars go for the most polished tackle prospect on the board. Though Monroe is highly regarded as a pass blocker, he is equally adept at creating a push in the running game. With the Jaguars hoping to return to their power running attack, Monroe gives them another pile-pusher in the lineup.

Round 2, Pick 6 (38) Rey Maualuga ILB 6'2" 249 Southern Cal Pick Analysis:After surprisingly dropping out of the first round, Maualuga lands with the Bengals at No. 38. The high-motor playmaker from USC gives Marvin Lewis a heavy hitter at middle linebacker. With last year's top pick (Keith Rivers) coming back from an injury, the Bengals have a pair of young and athletic linebackers to anchor the middle of the defense.

Round 3, Pick 6 (70) Michael Johnson DE 6'7" 266 Georgia Tech Pick Analysis:The Bengals pick up an edge rusher with first-round talent with their selection of Johnson. A tall, rangy athlete with explosive quickness, Johnson has the ability to run down quarterbacks from the backside. Though he doesn't play with great effort at all times, he has the potential to be an impact player as a situational pass rusher.

Round 3b, Pick 19 (119) D.J. Moore CB 5'9" 192 Vanderbilt Pick Analysis:Moore is an undersized corner who lacked exceptional straight-line speed at the combine and at his pro day, which probably caused his slide to the fourth round. He was once pegged as a potential first-rounder, and he has great ball skills and jumping ability. He provides great value to the Bears in the fourth round and can add depth behind Charles Tillman and Nathan Vasher.

Round 4, Pick 27 (127) Austin Collie WR 6'1" 200 BYU Pick Analysis:People are now looking for receivers to be the gunners and make things happen on special teams, and Collie can do those things. He'll also serve as a slot receiver who can fill in as the third or fourth option. He competes for the ball in the air and was highly productive at BYU with his good size. He fits the Colts' offensive scheme very well.

Round 5, Pick 9 (145) Quinn Johnson FB 6'1" 246 LSU Pick Analysis:The former Tiger is a downhill lead blocker with good power and toughness. He excels at blowing linebackers out of the hole and is a throwback at the position. He will compete for the right to open holes for Ryan Grant next season.

Round 6, Pick 11 (184) Bear Pascoe TE 6'5" 251 Fresno State Pick Analysis:Pascoe has toughness and is outstanding as a blocker. He is an Anthony Becht-type blocker and is also exceptional on special teams, having blocked several kicks in college. He gives the 49ers a great backup/situational type player who can effectively manage his tasks and be a role player.

Round 6, Pick 36 (209) (Compensatory selection) Bernard Scott RB 5'10" 200 Abilene Christian Pick Analysis:Scott is an ideal third-down back. He's the type of player you want to get out in space isolated on a linebacker after catching the ball. The Bengals can use him as a potential replacement for Kenny Watson. Many red flags, including his age (25), being kicked off two teams (one in high school, one in college) and several run-ins with police.

Round 7, Pick 35 (244) (Compensatory selection) Ricky Jean-Francois DT 6'3" 295 LSU Pick Analysis:Jean-Francois' strength is his quickness. He has a lot of potential but had only nine career starts in college. He lacks experience but has the physical tools the 49ers are looking for in a developmental player.

Round 7, Pick 40 (249) (Compensatory selection) Clinton McDonald DE 6'2" 289 Memphis Pick Analysis:McDonald shot up draft boards and into draft consideration after an outstanding workout at Memphis' pro day. His athleticism gives Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer something to work with.

Round 7 Quan Cosby
Analysis
Positives: Short, but has a compact, athletic build. Good quickness off the snap to avoid press coverage. At least adequate straight-line speed. Savvy route-runner who varies his speed and can sneak behind the defense deep. Can drop his hips and shows good burst out of his break to generate separation. Secure hands. Looks the ball into his hands and secures it quickly. Best attribute might be his body control. Times his leaps extraordinarily well to reach the ball at its highest level and can lay out to make the spectacular grab. Fierce competitor who makes plays on the ball despite being out-sized. Averaged 23.7 yards per kickoff return and 11.7 per punt return, with one score on each, over his career. Good character and mature; a husband and father.

Negatives: Measured in considerably smaller than expected at the Senior Bowl. Lacks the height scouts prefer on the outside and may struggle with the adjustment inside, where his body control and leaping ability is minimized. Older than most NFL rookies (26) due to his time playing minor league baseball. May lack the straight-line speed to challenge deep in the NFL.

some points of contention:

On the main forum you've been commenting that you're not comfortable with the center position, but now you're ok with it? [quote]but I think we can be OK at center[/quote]

In years past you've been a big advocate of high character guys being on the team and strongly opposed to some former picks, but you advocate the Bernard Scott pick now?

Just two things that stuck out to me.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='777989' date='May 21 2009, 05:26 PM']some points of contention:

On the main forum you've been commenting that you're not comfortable with the center position, but now you're ok with it?

In years past you've been a big advocate of high character guys being on the team and strongly opposed to some former picks, but you advocate the Bernard Scott pick now?

Just two things that stuck out to me.[/quote]

Great points.

I am not comfortable at the C spot, I didnt mean to indicate I was but I clearly did as you noted. As far as that goes I would have drafted Caldwell at C over everyone but MJ and during the draft I probably would have drafted Caldwell. On second thought I think that Caldwell is just a step up from Luigs and a big drop from the top 3. He would not be a big improvement over Cook or Santucci.

As far as Bernard Scott. I have never said that you don't draft guys with character issues, I have said that you need to draft few and build a strong veteran team with great character to make them work. Bernard Scott scares me only because he will be around Benson who has proved to make mistakes in the past. The team itself has less character concerns and we drafted fewer questionable guys. I have no questions about anyone who we drafted accept Scott and Smith because I could see him being lazy.

• 2 months later...

Archived