The Official 2010 Pre- World Cup Thread

JC

[quote]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#333333"][i][color="#000000"]
[b][size="6"]The one who got away[/size][/b]

[b]Giuseppe Rossi could make history at the World Cup, just not for the U.S.[/b]
[/color][/i][/color][/font][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#333333"][i]
[/i][/color][/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#333333"][i]This article appears in the May 17 issue of ESPN The Magazine.[/i][/color][/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]They called him America.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]But coming from the boys at the [i]settore giovanile[/i], Parma FC's youth academy in Parma, Italy, it sounded like "Ah-MAY-dee-cah." [url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=46051&cc=5901"]Giuseppe Rossi[/url] was just 12 years old and painfully shy, and even though he had an authentic Italian name and grew up speaking the language with his parents and grandparents in Clifton, N.J., as far as his young teammates were concerned he might as well have been named Billy Bob.[/size][/color]

[/font][color="#333333"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]"[i]Passare la palla, Ah-MAY-dee-cah,[/i]" they would shout. "Pass the ball, America."[/font][/color]

[color="#333333"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][/font][/color] [font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#333333"]Advance the story one decade to the summer of 2009. It's early in the second half of a Confederations Cup match between the U.S. and Italy, and the U.S. is leading 1-0. A win against the defending world champions would be a triumph for the Americans, if only they can hold on for the next 45 minutes or so. Eight minutes into the second frame, the sideline official holds aloft an electric sign signaling a substitution. Giuseppe Rossi is coming in at striker. For Italy.[/color]

[/font][color="#333333"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]"I saw him warming up," recalls U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati, who was in Loftus Versfeld Stadium in Pretoria, South Africa, that night."I was sitting next to Jérôme Valcke, secretary general of FIFA, so I quickly told him Rossi's story, and how the worst thing that could happen from our perspective is that he scores a cracking goal."[/font][/color]

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#333333"][size="3"]Inside his first two minutes on the field, Rossi does just that, stripping the ball from U.S. midfielder Benny Feilhaber near the center circle, taking two perfect getaway touches into space and letting fly with his left foot from 30 yards. The blast knuckles in the air, dips and slices a bit, then kisses the inside of the left post on its way into the net. A wonder strike. To salt the wound, Rossi scores a game-icing goal in stoppage time as Italy prevails 3-1. The boy once known as America jumps into the arms of his Italian teammates and later dedicates the goals to his family back in New Jersey, watching on TV.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]But to many other U.S. fans tuning in that day, this was the moment when Giuseppe Rossi became a villain. T-shirts emblazoned with his mug and the words "JUDAS, Giuseppe Rossi" popped up for sale online, and the Facebook page "Giuseppe Rossi is a traitor" was created. Make no mistake, his two-goal performance -- especially the jaw-dropping equalizer, Rossi's second international tally for Italy's senior team -- was a dagger, the bitter end to a story U.S. fans had been following for nearly five years, when word first started to spread that a Jersey-born striker had signed with Manchester United and had been playing in Italian national team youth camps. Suddenly, everyone wanted to know just one thing: How did Giuseppe Rossi get away?[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]As soccer fans know, many players on international rosters were not born in the countries they represent. U.S. national-teamers Feilhaber (Brazil) and [url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/profile?id=77664"]Stuart Holden[/url] (Scotland) come to mind, as do Polish-born strikers Lukas Podolski and Miroslav Klose, who starred for Germany in 2006. But what makes Rossi's story so remarkable is the fact that no American has ever cracked the ranks of a foreign soccer power like Italy.[/size][/color]
[color="#333333"] [/color]
[color="#333333"][size="3"]Rossi will tell you that Italian soccer wasn't all that foreign to a kid growing up in northern New Jersey surrounded by Italian-American families like his own. The walls in local pizza joints were plastered with photos of the Azzurri, the Italian national team, and Sunday football wasn't the NFL on CBS but rather Serie A on RAI Italia.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]Giuseppe's father, Fernando, who died earlier this year at age 60, moved to New Jersey from Italy with his parents when he was a teenager. He worked for 23 years teaching Italian and Spanish and coaching the varsity soccer team at Clifton High, a perennial New Jersey power and Division I college-feeder program. Giuseppe has vivid memories of waking up early to watch the Sunday games on RAI involving clubs like AC Milan and Inter Milan, Juventus and Fiorentina. And, of course, the Azzurri.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]In 1994, when the U.S. hosted the World Cup, 7-year-old Giuseppe joined his dad at a sold-out Giants Stadium to watch Italy play Ireland. The boy was starstruck at seeing the likes of Paolo Maldini, [url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/manager?id=60"]Gianfranco Zola[/url] and Roberto Baggio sporting their brilliant blue shirts. "They were my team," Giuseppe says. "My childhood heroes."[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]Over the next few years, as Giuseppe showed signs of his own star potential, Fernando began to plot an unusual course for his son. For three straight summers, beginning when he was 9, Giuseppe went to a soccer camp in Tabiano Terme, near Parma, getting a taste of just how different things were in Italy. No longer was he the kid looking for a game, trying to persuade other kids to play. The game Italians call [i]calcio[/i] ("kick") was everywhere.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]A month shy of his 13th birthday, Giuseppe boarded a plane with his father and headed for a tryout with the youth academy of Parma FC. "I had no idea if I was good enough," Giuseppe says."But I wanted to try. When I found out I'd made it, I left everything behind, moved to Italy, and my soccer career began."[/size][/color]
[color="#333333"][size="3"]To help with the transition, Fernando took a leave of absence from teaching to live with Giuseppe in Parma. But the boy was still a nervous wreck. While he was used to speaking Italian with his family, he was unsure of himself around his peers. So he barely spoke in school or on the field. That was when the other boys started calling him America. And, truth be told, Rossi longed for all things red, white and blue. "I was in seventh grade, and I missed stuff like Nickelodeon and [i]Rugrats[/i]," he says. He missed his mother, Cleonilde, even more. On the day she made her first visit, after Giuseppe had been in Italy for a couple of months, Fernando had her hide behind a tree to surprise their son; when she appeared, Giuseppe cried in her arms. Over the next four years, Mom and Dad did split duty tending to their teen in Parma.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]"The only times I felt comfortable those first few months was playing," Giuseppe says. "The ball is the same everywhere, and you play with your feet, not your mouth. On the field, I was okay."[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]Actually, he was better than okay. Rossi was exceptional, a shifty dribbler with great instincts in the box and a left foot to die for. In 2001, he was home in New Jersey for the summer when he was invited to a weeklong U.S. under-14 camp in Concord, Mass., where he met and played with future national teamers Michael Bradley and Freddy Adu. It would turn out to be the only time Rossi would ever wear a uniform emblazoned with the U.S. crest.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]That fall he returned to Parma, and within two years he got an invite to Italy's under-16 training camp, the youngest youth program in the Italian system. What followed was a chain of events that Giuseppe and his father could only have dreamed about. The next year, Rossi made the U17 team; then he made the U18s. Suddenly, alarm bells started ringing through the halls of U.S. Soccer.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]In November 2005, [url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/manager?id=98"]Bruce Arena[/url], the national team coach at the time, invited Rossi to join the Americans for a friendly match in Glasgow. Rossi, who had signed with Man U the year before and was mainly playing on the reserve squad, declined, stating his desire to continue in the Italian program. Never mind that suiting up for the Yanks at that point wouldn't have interfered with that plan, just as playing for the Italian youth squads didn't nullify his U.S. eligibility; players aren't bound to a particular nation until they've been capped at the senior level in an official FIFA match. "We tried to make it as easy as possible for him, and in no way jeopardize his eligibility," Arena says. "But it was pretty clear his dream was to play for Italy. He didn't mislead us for a second."[/size][/color]
[color="#333333"][size="3"]Of course, for a 5'8", 160-pound kid from New Jersey to think he could someday play for the mighty Azzurri was audacious, to say the least. But Rossi's chances of making the World Cup roster for the U.S. team heading to Germany in 2006 would have been excellent. "We needed help on the left side or maybe a second striker," Arena says. "He could've been a good fit."[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]The U.S. went three-and-out in Germany, and recruiting Rossi for South Africa 2010 became an immediate priority. When [url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/manager?id=137"]Bob Bradley[/url] took over as coach, in May 2007, time was running out. Rossi would turn 21 in February, and that meant his days as a youth player were coming to an end. Once he was capped for Italy's senior squad, it would be ciao, Giuseppe.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]"I knew Fernando because I'd recruited some players out of Clifton High when I was coaching at Princeton," says Bradley, a Jersey native (and the older brother of this article's author). "He told me that Giuseppe had all the respect in the world for the U.S. program, but that his goal was to make the Italian team. Basically, that was that."[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]All that was left from a U.S. perspective was to wait and see how Rossi's Italian dream played out. He didn't make a single misstep. In the summer of 2007, Rossi was called in to play for Italy's U21 team at the European championship. In the summer of 2008, he was called in to play for Italy in the Olympics and ended up the leading scorer in that under-23 competition. By October, it was official. Named to the senior Italian team for a World Cup qualifier against Bulgaria, Giuseppe Rossi became a member of the Azzurri. He would never be allowed to play for the USA.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]Whatever people might say about his patriotism, Rossi's achievement can't be overstated. Not only is he one of only two players on the Italian squad who weren't born in Italy, but by playing for Villarreal, in Spain's La Liga, he's also one of only two players who don't earn their living with an Italian club. (That could change soon, as it's hotly rumored that Rossi is headed back to Serie A this summer.) He has broken into one of the most exclusive clubs in sports, against very serious odds. "Rossi is a little champion," Italy manager [url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/manager?id=121"]Marcello Lippi[/url] said last summer. "He can play with his left foot or right foot. He can play anywhere on the front line, the way [url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/profile?id=45843"]Lionel Messi[/url] plays for Barcelona."[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]High praise, to be sure. But while a spot for Rossi on Italy's 23-man World Cup roster seems likely, there are no guarantees. Plus, with talented strikers like Antonio Di Natale and Alberto Gilardino ahead of him on Lippi's depth chart, any minutes he sees in South Africa will likely come off the bench. That might not have been the case had he chosen a different, safer path. Even before the car accident that severely injured U.S. striker Charlie Davies, a forward of Rossi's quality would have been getting serious minutes for the U.S. "He's a talented young player," says Bradley, choosing his words carefully so as not to disparage any of the strikers in his player pool. But Arena can be more blunt. "He's certainly good enough to play for the U.S.," says the former coach. "I don't think there's any question about that."[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]When asked to recall the goal that made him the player American fans love to hate, Rossi gets flustered. He grew up admiring Derek Jeter, and like the Yankees captain, Rossi is a perfectly polite interview who loathes talking about himself. "It was great to score, of course, but if I could have picked any team in the world to score against, the United States would have been my last choice," he says. "I root hard for America -- against anyone but Italy."[/size][/color]
[color="#333333"][size="3"]As it happens, Rossi got a chance to cheer on his home country as the rest of the Confederations Cup played out last summer. Thanks to the U.S. beating Egypt 3-0 and the Azzurri falling to Brazil by the same margin in the final leg of group play, the Americans advanced while the Italians went home. Upon returning to Spain, Rossi escaped to a resort with his girlfriend. "We were shopping one day along the beach, and I looked up at a TV and saw the U.S. was beating Spain," he says. "We kept walking, and I kept looking for TVs to keep up with the game. When they won, I told my girlfriend to do whatever she wanted the day of the final because I was going to watch. When Brazil came back from 2-0 down, I was truly disappointed."[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]So what about all those U.S. fans he himself has disappointed, the ones who would love nothing more than to see him starring atop the U.S. attack instead of coming off the bench for Italy?[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]"How can I explain it?" Rossi says. "The TV I watch, the websites I visit, the music I like -- it's all from America. But Italian soccer is what I grew up watching, and Italy is where I grew up as a player. Off the field, I have always felt American. On the field, I've always felt Italian."[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]On the streets of Villarreal, Spain, outside Estadio El Madrigal before a late December La Liga match, no one has a clue that the young striker for the home side speaks with a Jersey accent, can call out Garden State Parkway exit numbers when he hears the name of a town and was known as America as a kid. What they do know is that Rossi is a rising star with the Azzurri, the world champions. To the fans of Villarreal, Rossi is simply El Italiano.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]The Italian.[/size][/color][/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#333333"] [/color][/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#333333"] [/color]
[color="#333333"][size="3"][color="#000000"][color="#333333"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][i]Jeff Bradley is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.[/i][/font][/color][/color][/size][/color]
[/font][/quote]

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/story?id=5165898"]http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5165898[/url]

[color="#333333"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][i]
[/i][/font][/color]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#333333"][i]
[/i][/color][/font]

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#333333"][size="3"][color="#000000"][color="#333333"][size="3"][color="#000000"][color="#333333"][size="3"][color="#000000"][color="#333333"][size="3"][color="#000000"][color="#333333"][size="3"][color="#000000"][color="#333333"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][i] [/i][/font][/color][/color][/size][/color]

[/color][/size][/color]

[/color][/size][/color]

[/color][/size][/color]

[/color][/size][/color]

[/font]

[quote]
[font="arial, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#404040"][size="2"][color="#000000"][size="2"][color="#404040"][size="2"][color="#000000"][size="2"]
[b][size=5]World Cup 2014: Fifa sound alarm as Brazilian venues fall behind schedule[/size][/b]

[b]The 12 Brazilian cities nominated as venues for the 2014 World Cup have been given a month to prove they can deliver their promised stadium projects after Fifa warned that the country "is not on the right path" to host the tournament.[/b]
[/size][/color][/size][/color]

[color="#404040"][size="2"]Jerome Valcke, the Fifa general secretary, has admitted that he is alarmed at how little work has been carried out in the 30 months since Brazil was unanimously chosen to hold the competition. It is thought the game's governing body is keen to avoid a repeat of the concerns over South Africa's infrastructure, still lingering with the start of the tournament just weeks away.[/size][/color]

[color="#404040"][size="2"]"It is amazing that Brazil is already very late," said Valcke. "I got a report on the status of the Brazilian stadiums and I have to say it is not very nice. The stadiums are the basic points we need to have a World Cup and in Brazil, for the time being, most of the deadlines are already over and we have to work on new deadlines.[/size][/color]

[/size][/color][/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font="arial, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#404040"][size="2"]"They are proving how difficult it is to hold a World Cup in Brazil, just as it was in South Africa. The red light has been switched on. Brazil is not on the right path. This year there is a presidential election, so almost nothing will happen. Next year, carnival comes along. So is everything going to start only after carnival?[/size][/color][color="#404040"][size="2"]"All the things they have promised, all the commitments from different people, they have to deliver these commitments. We do not want a hasty World Cup done at the last minute."[/size][/color]

[color="#404040"][size="2"]Brazilian officials yesterday started a two-week inspection of the 12 projects, which include five new stadiums and comprehensive upgrades of Rio de Janeiro's iconic Maracana, scheduled to host the final, Sao Paulo's Morumbi and five others around the country.[/size][/color]

[color="#404040"][size="2"]Ricardo Teixeira, president of the Brazilian Football Federation (CBF), has warned all 12 cities that they must satisfy the authorities they have the finances in place to fund construction or risk being struck off as host venues.[/size][/color]

[color="#404040"][size="2"]"The reality is that the projects are very late," said Teixeira. "These approved projects have a period of almost a month to prove their financial feasibility. They will be given a deadline for the information that they can build the stadiums."[/size][/color]

[color="#404040"][size="2"]Fifa is unlikely to be impressed by the prospect of Brazil significantly altering their bid at this stage, though the rotation system under which the country was chosen makes it unlikely the tournament would be relocated.[/size][/color]

[color="#404040"][size="2"]Brazil easily saw off competition from Argentina and Colombia to host the World Cup for the first time since 1950 and, though the country's transport infrastructure still needs a radical overhaul and the bullet train joining Rio, Sao Paulo and Campinas remains a pipe dream, there are no alternatives in South America which represent a convenient backup plan.[/size][/color]

[color="#404040"][size="2"]Brazil's troubles, combined with those of South Africa – where final work at Soccer City, the showpiece stadium which will host the final, is continuing – are likely to play into the hands of England's bid for the 2018 tournament.[/size][/color]

[color="#404040"][size="2"]Sepp Blatter, the Fifa president, admitted last week that England would have "no problems" delivering the World Cup, though he confessed to being impressed by Russia's proposal. "What they presented is remarkable," he said.[/size][/color]

[color="#404040"][size="2"]Where they will play[/size][/color]

[list][*]A. Belo Horizonte, Mineirao (upgraded to 70,000 capacity)[*]B. Brasilia, Estadio Nacional (upgraded to 71,500)[*]C. Cuiaba, Verdao (new stadium, 42,500)[*]D. Curitiba, Arena de Baixada (upgraded to 41,375)[*]E. Fortaleza, Castelao (upgraded to 66,700)[*]F. Manaus, Arena Manaus (new stadium, 50,000)[*]G. Natal, Arena de Dunas (new stadium, 42,500)[*]H. Porto Alegre, Estadio Beira-Rio (upgraded, 62,000)[*]I. Recife, Cidade de Copa (new stadium, 46,160)[*]J. Rio de Janeiro, Mara-cana (upgraded, 90,000)[*]K. Salvador, Fonte Nova (new stadium, 55,000)[*]L. Sao Paulo, Morumbi (upgraded, 62,000)[/list]
[size="3"] [/size]
[size="3"][size="2"][img]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01631/brazil-football_1631002c.jpg[/img][/size][/size]
[size="3"] [/size]
[size="3"][size="2"][size="2"][color="#666666"][size="2"]Distant goal: The Maracana stadium, scheduled to host the final, is in need of a massive upgrade[/size][/color] [color="#666666"][size="2"]Photo: AP[/size][/color][/size][/size][/size]
[size="3"] [/size][/size][/font] [/quote]

[url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/teams/brazil/7686639/World-Cup-2014-Fifa-sound-alarm-as-Brazilian-venues-fall-behind-schedule.html"]http://www.telegraph...d-schedule.html[/url]

[quote]
[font=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][b][size=5]Bolton Wanderers midfielder Stuart Holden desperate to face Birmingham City[/size][/b][/font]
[font=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bolton Wanderers midfielder Stuart Holden is chomping at the bit to start against Birmingham City.

Holden has recovered from a broken leg and is hoping he can be involved in Wanderers last game of the season at the Reebok Stadium.

The United States international suffered the setback in March following a challenge from Manchester City's Nigel de Jong during a friendly with Holland.

Holden said: "I have spoken to the manager (Owen Coyle) and obviously he wants me to be 100% before I am involved at the weekend.

"I feel good and have not had any setbacks. I just want to get back involved and hopefully in the mix."[/font] [/quote]

[url="http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/bolton-wanderers-fc/126982-bolton-wwnderers-midfielder-stuart-holden-desperate-to-face-birmingham-city.html"]http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/bolton-wanderers-fc/126982-bolton-wwnderers-midfielder-stuart-holden-desperate-to-face-birmingham-city.html[/url]

[font=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[quote]
[font=georgia,][color=#000000][size=2][color=#333333][size=2]
[b][size=5]England Wary of a New American Revolution[/size][/b]
[/size][/color][/size][/color][/font]
[font=georgia,][color=#000000][size=2]
[/size][/color][/font]
[font=georgia,][color=#000000][size=2]When England drew the United States, Slovenia and Algeria at the coming[url="http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/standings/group=249725/index.html"]World Cup[/url], The Sun tabloid ran a headline that said “EASY,” and added, “best English group since the Beatles.”[/size][/color][color=#000000][size=2]The British actor [url="http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/g/hugh_grant/index.html?inline=nyt-per"]Hugh Grant[/url] then appeared in New York on [url="http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-december-16-2009/hugh-grant"]“The Daily Show”[/url] and told the host, [url="http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/jon_stewart/index.html?inline=nyt-per"]Jon Stewart[/url]: “I’m always surprised you have a male football team. It’s a female game here.”[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]As inventors of the sport, the British can be condescending and uninformed about the game in the United States, viewing American soccer with the same smugness that the United States might view English baseball.[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]Not everyone is so dismissive. Actually, the view of American soccer here is nuanced and complicated. There is an appreciation for the Americans who play in the English [url="http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/soccer/premier-league/index.html?inline=nyt-org"]Premier League[/url], a respectful regard for the national team, widespread indifference to [url="http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/news/sports/soccer/major-league-soccer/index.html?inline=nyt-org"]Major League Soccer[/url], wariness of American businessmen who own some of the biggest E.P.L. teams and a belief that the second-tier United States can become a global soccer power.[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]“Where there was once 30 percent respect for the national team and soccer in the U.S. and 70 percent who were totally ignorant, I think it’s now 60 percent respect,” said John Harkes, who in 1990 became one of the first Americans to play professionally in England.[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]Jonathan Spector, an American defender at West Ham United, senses respect for the United States national team “when we are playing any team apart from England.”[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]He added: “It doesn’t make a great deal of sense. Now that we’re playing England, it’s supposed to be a walk in the park for them.”[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]This may stem from national pride and defensiveness, Spector said, given the economic, cultural and political standing of the United States as a world superpower.[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]Soccer “is the one thing they have left that they think they can beat us in,” Spector said.[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]If the United States defeats England on June 12 at the [url="http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/index.html"]World Cup in South Africa[/url], a feeling of “doom and gloom” will undoubtedly spread across Britain, Spector said. Given a strong belief that England can win the World Cup, a loss to the Americans “would basically end England’s chances with the public and the media, even though realistically that wouldn’t be the case.”[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]Jay DeMerit, an American defender who plays at Watford, said pressure and expectation would result in such severe criticism of the English with a defeat to the United States that “they wouldn’t want to come home.”[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]The United States defeated England, 1-0, at the [url="http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/edition=7/results/matches/match=1202/report.html"]1950 World Cup[/url]. It remains one of the tournament’s greatest upsets. But it was also 60 years ago. Much more impressive to the British are the Americans’ defeat of Spain, then the world’s top-ranked team, and a narrow loss to Brazil at the [url="http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/index.html"]Confederations Cup last June[/url].[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]“I think everyone knows if there’s a gap” between the English and American national teams, “it’s a pretty small one,” said Oliver Kay, the chief soccer correspondent for The Times of London.[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]Barry Glendenning, a humorist for The Guardian, teases the American enthusiasm by placing an exclamation point after U.S.A.! and refers to the 1994 World Cup held in the United States as “the summer soccer-ball kickabout,” but he said he is only having fun.[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]“As far as the national team, no one is treating them as a joke,” Glendenning said of the Americans. “I think people would prefer that England didn’t have to face them first.”[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]When Harkes arrived in England to play at Sheffield Wednesday, he heard jeers from some fans, who advised him to “go home, Yank, go play your American football.” But that attitude has changed. American goalkeepers from [url="http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/k/kasey_keller/index.html?inline=nyt-per"]Kasey Keller[/url] to Brad Friedel to Tim Howard and Marcus Hahnemann have thrived in England, one theory being that they grew up playing sports where they used their hands.[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]And now the success of Clint Dempsey at Fulham and Landon Donovan in his brief appearance at Everton has tempered the belief that Americans field players may lack the mental or physical toughness to make it in England, Kay said.[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]“The assumption is, there is more where that came from,” he said.[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]DeMerit said the work ethic of American players was welcomed. “They don’t say I can’t,” DeMerit said, quoting a friend who is a youth coach in London. “They say, why can’t I?”[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]M.L.S., on the other hand, does not engender the same respect. Mostly it is ignored. After[url="http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/david_beckham/index.html?inline=nyt-per"]David Beckham[/url] joined the [url="http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/soccer/major-league-soccer/los-angeles-galaxy/index.html?inline=nyt-org"]Los Angeles Galaxy[/url] in 2007, David Hirshey, the executive editor of HarperCollins, which published Beckham’s autobiography, ran into the venerable soccer writer Brian Glanville at an [url="http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/soccer/premier-league/arsenal-football-club/index.html?inline=nyt-org"]Arsenal[/url] match here.[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]“As much as his game has eroded over the years, he should be one of the better players in the early-retirement home that is M.L.S.,” Hirshey recalled Glanville telling him.[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]Nor has the red carpet been rolled out for the Glazer family at [url="http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/soccer/premier-league/manchester-united/index.html?inline=nyt-org"]Manchester United[/url], or for Tom Hicks and George Gillett at Liverpool, owners who have loaded their clubs more with debt than with good will from supporters. These Americans misjudged the English view that a team should be run as a public trust, not a cash machine, said Tom Cannon, a soccer finance expert and professor at the University of Liverpool.[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]“English football fans don’t like that other view of the world,” Cannon said.[/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=2]Nor may they be comfortable with the notion posited in the book “Soccernomics” that the United States, which reached the World Cup quarterfinals in 2002, is destined to become a soccer power, given its wealth, population and vast youth system.[/size][/color]

[/font][font=georgia,]If the United States defeated England, “I don’t think it would be a milestone moment,” said Simon Kuper, one of the book’s authors. “It would be a step on a path that the U.S. has already taken that seems to be leading slowly upward.”[/font] [/quote]

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/sports/soccer/06longman.html?src=me"]http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/sports/soccer/06longman.html?src=me[/url]

[quote]
[color=#FF0000][color=#000000][size=5]Donovan puts on show in Seattle

[/size][b][size=1]by [/size][url="http://www.socceramerica.com/author/49/ridge-mahoney/"][size=1]Ridge Mahoney[/size][/url][size=1], May 9th, 2010 2:17AM[/size][/b][/color][/color]
[color=#FF0000]
[/color]
[color=#FF0000][MLS][/color] [b]Landon Donovan[/b] showed he's still the main man with Los Angeles, scoring one goal and assisting on the other three goals to lead the unbeaten Galaxy to a 4-0 win at Seattle. Donovan earned Soccer America's top honors in its Saturday's Three Stars awards, ahead of San Jose's [b]Bobby Convey[/b] and Toronto FC's [b]O'Brian White[/b].

[color=#FF0000]1. LANDON DONOVAN (Los Angeles).[/color]

The Galaxy seriously dented Seattle’s pride and confidence by blasting the Sounders, 4-0, at Qwest Field. Seattle blanked [b]Edson Buddle[/b] but couldn’t stop anybody else, especially Donovan, who scored the fourth goal after creating the first three. He earned an assist on a long-range [b]Jovan Kirovski[/b] shot that somewhat swerved through the hands of [b]Kasey Keller[/b], and then set up the next two goals on set plays. Defender [b]Omar Gonzalez [/b]rose above the Sounders to head in Donovan’s corner kick off the underside of the crossbar, and backline mate [b]Todd Dunivant[/b] got into the act by knifing in front of goal to nod home a Donovan free kick. Buddle did get an assist -- his second of the season -- by sending Donovan -- after this night the league’s leader with nine assists -- clear to rattle in the fourth goal.

[color=#FF0000]2. BOBBY CONVEY (San Jose).[/color]

The Quakes blasted four goals, with Convey assisting on three of them, past New York goalie [b]Bouna Coundoul[/b] in a 4-0 rout after the Red Bulls went down to 10 men via a red card to [b]Luke Sassano [/b]in the 13th minute. Convey earned the primary assist on the first goal with a superb chip from near the left touchline that dropped right into the run of [b]Ryan Johnson[/b], who rolled a low shot into the net. A pass from Convey started the sequence that [b]Joey Gjertsen[/b] polished off with a shot that slipped under Coundoul, and defender [b]Bobby Burling[/b] – deputizing for high-scoring teammate [b]Ike Opara [/b]– headed home a Convey corner kick to complete a 4-0 rout.

[color=#FF0000]3. O’BRIAN WHITE (Toronto FC).[/color]

The former UConn striker scored a goal and set up another as a relentless TFC second-half attack blew away Chicago, 4-1, in fierce winds at BMO Field. White started the sequence for Toronto’s second goal by playing a ball wide just outside the penalty area, then racing into the box to poke[b]Dwayne De Rosario[/b]’s return pass just over the goal line. In the 66th minute, White set up the goal that iced the game by nicking the ball past a defender on the right side and pushing forward to center a ball that [b]Chad Barrett[/b] banged home for the first of his two goals. White nearly made it five with 10 minutes left but [b]Andy Dykstra[/b] saved his shot.

[b]Honorable mention: [/b]Kevin Hartman (FC Dallas), Brad Davis (Houston), Ryan Johnson. [/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/37978/donovan-puts-on-show-in-seattle.html"]http://www.socceramerica.com/article/37978/donovan-puts-on-show-in-seattle.html[/url]

[quote]
[font="'Trebuchet MS"][size="4"][size=4][size=5]Onyewu set to return for Milan

[/size][b][size=1]May 8th, 2010 9:12PM[/size][/b][/size][/size][/font]
[color=#FF0000]
[/color]
[color=#FF0000][AMERICANS ABROAD] [/color][b]Oguchi Onyewu[/b] was among the 23 players Milan is taking for its Italian Serie A game at Genoa on Sunday. If he plays, it will be his first action since injuring himself playing for the USA on Oct. 14 in the final World Cup match against Costa Rica.

Milan's last game is against Juventus on May 16. The U.S. training camp is scheduled to begin on the following day at Princeton University [/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/37975/onyewu-set-to-return-for-milan.html"]http://www.socceramerica.com/article/37975/onyewu-set-to-return-for-milan.html[/url]

[quote]
[color=#FF0000][color=#000000][size=5]Barry is latest England injury casualty

[/size][b][size=1]May 9th, 2010 3:40AM[/size][/b][/color][/color]
[color=#FF0000]
[/color]
[color=#FF0000][WORLD CUP COUNTDOWN] [/color]England coach [b]Fabio Capello[/b] must be counting the hours until Sunday's end to English Premier League season. The 2009-10 season has taken a huge toll on his World Cup prospects. The latest injury was to the versatile [b]Gareth Barry[/b], whose injured ankle could rule him out of South Africa 2010.

Barry, who has been ruled out for up to four weeks, suffered his injury in Manchester City's game against Tottenham on Wednesday.

Capello's biggest injury worries are on defense, where [b]Wes Brown[/b](Manchester United) and [b]Joleon Lescott[/b] (Everton) have been sidelined.

The fitness of the prospective England captain [b]Rio Ferdinand[/b](Manchester United) and [b]Ledley King[/b] (Tottenham) has been questioned.

[b]David Beckham[/b]'s World Cup hopes ended when he damaged his Achilles heel playing for AC Milan.

Striker [b]Wayne Rooney[/b] has suffered ankle and groin injuries but will lead the England attack.[/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/37979/barry-is-latest-england-injury-casualty.html"]http://www.socceramerica.com/article/37979/barry-is-latest-england-injury-casualty.html[/url]

[quote]
[color=#FF0000][color=#000000][size=5]Johnson makes case with third playoff goal

[/size][b][size=1]May 10th, 2010 1:53AM[/size][/b][/color][/color]
[color=#FF0000]
[/color]
[color=#FF0000][AMERICANS ABROAD][/color] [b]Eddie Johnson[/b] continued his late charge for World Cup consideration, scoring his third goal in three Greek Super League playoff games for Aris in its 4-2 loss to AEK Athens on Sunday.

Johnson has five goals since joining Aris in January.

Fellow American [b]Freddy Adu[/b] did not play against AEK.

The Greek playoffs among the second- to fifth-place teams determine which team joins league champion Panathinaikos in the 2010-11 UEFA Champions League.

Aris is already eliminated from contention with three games to play and will play in next season's Europa League.

[color=#FF0000]U.S. national team scorers (Europe 2009-10):[/color][b]
9 Dempsey[/b] (Fulham, England)
[b]5 Johnson[/b] (Aris, Greece)
[b]3 Bedoya[/b] (Orebro, Sweden)
[b]3 Cooper[/b] (1860 Munich, Germany)
[b]2 Adu[/b] (Aris, Greece)
[b]2 Beasley[/b] (Rangers, Scotland)
[b]2 Bradley[/b] (Borussia M'Gladbach, Germany)
[b]2 Davies[/b] (Sochaux, France)
[b]2 Donovan[/b] (Everton, England)
[b]2 Edu [/b](Rangers, Scotland) [/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/37986/johnson-makes-case-with-third-playoff-goal.html"]http://www.socceramerica.com/article/37986/johnson-makes-case-with-third-playoff-goal.html[/url]

[quote]
[color=#FF0000][color=#000000][size=5]U.S. national team weekend

[/size][b][size=1]May 9th, 2010 6:46PM[/size][/b][/color][/color]
[color=#FF0000]
[/color]
[color=#FF0000][AMERICANS ABROAD][/color] [b]Stuart Holden[/b] returned to action for Bolton Wanderers on the final day of the English Premier League season, coming on as a sub in the second half of its 2-1 win over Birmingham City. In Italy, [b]Oguchi Onyewu[/b] traveled with AC Milan to its game against Genoa but was not picked on the 18-player gameday roster. For all the weekend action ...[color=#FF0000]DENMARK, Superligaen[/color][color=#FF0000]
[/color][color=#FF0000]Sunday: [/color][b]Michael Parkhurst[/b], 90 minutes (FC Nordsjaelland, 0-1 vs. AGF)

[color=#FF0000]ENGLAND, Premier League[/color]
[color=#FF0000]Sunday: [/color][b]Clint Dempsey[/b], 66 minutes (Fulham, 0-4, at Arsenal)[b]
[/b][color=#FF0000]Sunday: [/color][b]Brad Friedel[/b], 90 minutes (Aston Villa, 1-3, at Man. City)[b]
[/b][color=#FF0000]Sunday: [/color][b]Marcus Hahnemann[/b], 90 minutes (Wolves, 2-1, vs. Sunderland)
[color=#FF0000]Sunday: [/color][b]Stuart Holden[/b], sub: 26 minutes (Bolton Wanderers, 2-1, vs. Birmingham City)
[color=#FF0000]Sunday: [/color][b]Tim Howard[/b], 90 minutes (Everton, 1-0, vs. Portsmouth)

[color=#FF0000]GERMANY, Bundesliga 1[/color]
[b]Michael Bradley[/b], 90 minutes (Borussia M'Gladbach, 1-1, vs. Bayer Leverkusen)
[b]Steve Cherundolo[/b], 90 minutes (Hannover, 3-0, at Bochum)
[b]Ricardo Clark[/b], 90 minutes (Eintracht Frankfurt, 1-3, at Wolfsburg)

[color=#FF0000]GREECE, Super League Playoffs[/color]
[color=#FF0000]Sunday: [/color][b]Eddie Johnson[/b], 90 minutes (1 goal) (Aris, 2-4, at AEK Athens)

[color=#FF0000]MEXICO, Torneo Bicentenario Playoffs[/color]
[color=#FF0000]Saturday[/color][b][color=#FF0000]:[/color] Jose Francisco Torres[/b], 90 minutes (Pachuca, 2-1, at Monterrey)

[color=#FF0000]NORWAY, Tippligaen[/color]
[b][color=#FF0000]Sunday: [/color]Clarence Goodson[/b], 90 minutes (Start, 0-1, at Tromso)

[color=#FF0000]PORTUGAL, Liga Vitalis[/color]
[color=#FF0000]Sunday:[/color] [b]Kamani Hill[/b], sub: 30 minutes (Aves, 0-2, at Santa Clara)

[color=#FF0000]SCOTLAND, Premier League[/color]
[color=#FF0000]Sunday: [/color][b]Maurice Edu[/b], 71 minutes (Rangers, 3-3, vs. Motherwell)

[color=#FF0000]SWEDEN, Allsvenskanliga[/color]

[color=#FF0000]Sunday: [/color][b]Alejandro Bedoya[/b], 90 minutes (Orebro, 1-0, vs. Djurgardens) [/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/37981/us-national-team-weekend.html"]http://www.socceramerica.com/article/37981/us-national-team-weekend.html[/url]

[quote]
[color=#FF0000][color=#000000][size=5]Rooney's latest injury not serious

[/size][b][size=1]May 9th, 2010 2:57PM[/size][/b][/color][/color]
[color=#FF0000]
[/color]
[color=#FF0000][WORLD CUP COUNTDOWN] [/color]These are the words all England wanted to hear: "He should be OK for England.'' After [b]Wayne Rooney[/b] limped off the field late in Manchester United's 4-0 win over Stoke City, United manager[b]Alex Ferguson[/b] said Rooney's latest groin injury wasn't serious.

The injury came on the final day of the English season. United finished second to Chelsea, an 8-0 winner over Wigan.

England has suffered a rash of injuries, the latest being to the versatile [b]Gareth Barry[/b], whose injured ankle could rule him out of South Africa 2010.

Barry, who will be sidelined for up to four weeks, suffered his injury in Manchester City's game against Tottenham on Wednesday.

Other Man. United players with injury problems: [b]Wes Brown[/b] and prospective England captain [b]Rio Ferdinand[/b], both defenders. [/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/37980/rooneys-latest-injury-not-serious.html"]http://www.socceramerica.com/article/37980/rooneys-latest-injury-not-serious.html[/url]

[quote]
[color=#111111][font=arial, sans-serif]
[b][size=5]Fulham preparing for biggest event in club history[/size][/b]
[/font][/color]
[color=#111111][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]
[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#111111][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]HAMBURG (AP)—Fulham’s players are embracing the tag of underdogs one last time this season in preparation for Wednesday’s Europa League final against Atletico Madrid, the biggest event in the west London club’s 131-year history.

Fulham’s only previous appearance in a final ended in defeat in the 1975 FA Cup but the Cottagers have overcome Juventus, Hamburg and trophy holder Shakhtar Donetsk to stand on the verge of a triumph that even the players didn’t think possible when they entered the tournament back in July.

Fulham finished in an all-time high seventh place in the Premier League last year to qualify for just its second ever European campaign but, with memories of 2008’s brush with relegation still fresh, a squad entirely devoid of star names was more focused on clinching a respectable league position than dreaming of silverware.

[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#111111][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]At least until a 4-1 win over former European champion Juventus in March.“When we started out, we didn’t even think about reaching the final,” Fulham defender Brede Hangeland said. “It was almost a distraction from the league. But the closer you get, the more you think about it and I think when we beat Juventus we started thinking ‘Why not go all the way?”’

That round-of-16 victory was exactly the sort to give a team confidence, completing one of the most remarkable turnarounds in recent European history.

Fulham lost the first leg 3-1 and was 1-0 down in the second minute of the second but stormed back and clinched progress with a late, spectacular goal by U.S. forward Clint Dempsey.

But Atletico is nonetheless a daunting opponent, with nine Spanish league titles and a UEFA Cup—the predecessor of the Europa League—in its trophy cabinet.

“We’ve been underdogs in every round so we’re definitely underdogs in this game,” Fulham midfielder Jonathan Greening said. “You look at Madrid’s team and, on paper, everyone would say they should beat us.

“But we’ve surprised a few teams this year and hopefully we can do it again on Wednesday.”

While Atletico ousted Liverpool from the semifinals and has an attack including Uruguay striker Diego Forlan and lauded Argentina forward Sergio Aguero, Fulham is heavily reliant upon Bobby Zamora—a forward who has yet to play internationally and until this season had never scored more than 13 goals in a season with a topflight club.

But Zamora is among the players whose careers have been turned around by manager Roy Hodgson. His touch, strength and hugely improved positioning have brought him eight Premier League goals and another eight in the Europa League.

Zamora is struggling with an Achilles problem but is likely to play at least some part Wednesday unless he is in extreme pain.

“He’s massively important for us,” Greening said. “He’s been great all year and he bangs goals in for us. Fingers crossed he’ll declare himself fit before the game because we need him.

“If it was me, I’d be wanting to play even if it was a broken leg, so he’s desperate to get out there.”

Hodgson had suggested that UEFA may consider postponing the final if the ash cloud from the still-erupting Icelandic volcano continued to disrupt airports across Europe.

Fulham had to travel to Hamburg by road and ferry last month for its semifinal against the German team.

A postponement would have given Zamora and winger Damien Duff more time to recover from injury, but flights into northern Germany were operating normally Monday morning and Atletico brought forward its trip by 24 hours to Monday to avoid potential delays.

Hungary international Zoltan Gera is likely to play as a withdrawn striker behind Zamora, with Duff sure to start on the left wing if he is fit.

United States forward Clint Dempsey, who scored the crucial fourth goal against Juventus, is among those less certain of his place in the team.

“They’re a good team and they have players who can score goals,” Dempsey said. “You know it’s going to be a difficult game, but we’re a good team defensively at staying tight and frustrating our opponents and we have players who can score goals.”

Despite its pedigree and place in the final, Atletico has won just two of 14 European matches this season. It was eliminated from the Champions League group stage and advanced from the past three rounds only on away goals.

The Spanish team also has its own injury problems.

Goalkeeper Sergio Asenjo out because of a knee injury sustained during Saturday’s 1-1 league draw against Racing Santander.

Asenjo, who has been backup to David de Gea for much of the season, is set to have knee surgery Tuesday on the damaged ligament and will almost certainly also miss the Copa del Rey final against Sevilla on May 19.

[/size][/font][/color][color=#111111][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]“I will have to be very careful to stay on my game,” De Gea said. “In addition, Zamora is a great player and I’ll have to be aware of him.”[/size][/font][/color] [/quote]

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-europaleaguepreview"]http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-europaleaguepreview[/url]

[quote]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]
[b][size=5]Soccer fans want World Cup drinking hours extended[/size][/b]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]TORONTO — Toronto soccer fans and bar owners are cheering a proposal being kicked around by the city's deputy mayor to extend drinking hours at bars and restaurants during soccer's World Cup.[size=3]Since host South Africa is six hours ahead of the Eastern time zone, next month's games will air in Toronto at 7:30 a.m., 10 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. But bars and restaurants can't legally serve alcohol until 11 a.m.[/size]

[size=3]Deputy mayor Joe Pantalone wants to roll that back an hour during the tournament. Bending the rules so fans can hoist a beer or other libation at 10 a.m. as they cheer on their favourite team is good for patrons and small businesses alike, he said Friday.[/size]

[size=3]"The nature of celebrations is that people like to have a drink with it," said Pantalone, who'll be rooting for Italy.[/size]

[size=3]"The recession is still with us. Small business is the backbone of this city and this country and this will help the small businesses that operate as restaurants and bars."[/size]

[size=3]The mayoral candidate said bar hours have been tweaked for special events before, such as the Toronto International Film Festival.[/size]

[size=3]He'll bring a motion before city council next Wednesday to get the ball rolling.[/size]

[size=3]Initially he thought the city had to ask permission from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario but found out Friday afternoon that under Ontario's Liquor Licence Act, it's up to the city.[/size]

[size=3]Pantalone said his motion will ask council to approve a bylaw allowing alcohol to be served at 10 a.m. between June 11 and July 11.[/size]

[size=3]Christine Whittick, owner of The Football Factory, expects her bistro-bar -- which is completely dedicated to "footie" -- will be filled to capacity as patrons catch all the action on 15 big-screen TVs.[/size]

[size=3]"We were very excited to hear that could be a possibility because we've had customers asking us about that for months," said Whittick.[/size]

[size=3]The bar shows a lot of European league football. When visitors from Europe go to the bar, they're surprised they can't get a drink at 9 a.m., she said.[/size]

[size=3]Manchester United fan Matt Gregg, a 26-year-old chef, thinks earlier drinking hours is "brilliant" and will draw out a lot more people.[/size]

[size=3]Technology consultant Mike Lynch, 50, who was having a pint of Okanagan Springs Bavarian lager at The Football Factory, called it a great idea.[/size]

[size=3]Lynch, who will also be cheering on England, just got back from Barbados and said people there were drinking and watching sporting events pretty early.[/size]

[size=3]"At 7 a.m. Formula 1 and football began and they were serving beer on the beach bar," said Lynch, who favours extending Toronto bar hours, but only for special events.[/size]

[size=3]Writer Colin Lee, out walking in downtown Toronto, will be rooting for Spain and gave his thumbs up.[/size]

[size=3]"Considering the games are going to be earlier rather than later, I think it makes sense to give that extra hour for people to get together and become social and enjoy the party," said Lee.[/size]

[size=3]Stephanie Jones, Ontario vice president of The Canadian Restaurant and Foodservices Association, noted other cities have relaxed alcohol serving rules during big sporting events such as the Vancouver Olympics.[/size]

[size=3]Jones said the industry is coming out of a significant downturn in 2009 and it would be a great way to kick off the summer season in Toronto.[/size]

[size=3]"Last year our operators were hit with fewer tourists, with a garbage strike, with a lot of things that came together to make it a really, really tough time."[/size]

[size=3]Pantalone said he isn't worried about hooligans causing a ruckus, noting Toronto FC fans always "have good clean fun."[/size]

[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]As for fears there could be more drunk drivers on the road, Pantalone noted people can legally drink in their own homes at any time. He said responsible people will behave responsibly.[/font] [/quote]

[url="http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100507/toronto-world-cup-drinking-100507/20100507/?hub=TorontoNewHome"]http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100507/toronto-world-cup-drinking-100507/20100507/?hub=TorontoNewHome[/url]

[quote]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][color=#333333][color=#000000]
[b][size=5]Brazil's roster: No Ronaldinho, Ronaldo[/size][/b]
[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][color=#333333]
[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][color=#333333]SAO PAULO -- Ronaldinho, Adriano and Neymar were left off Brazil's 23-player World Cup roster on Tuesday.[/color][color=#333333][size=3]Coach Dunga was to announce seven others later Tuesday, completing the team's preliminary 30-man list, which was due to FIFA. The 23-man list doesn't have to be finalized until June 1.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Kaka, Robinho, Maicon and Julio Cesar made the cut, but three-time FIFA player of the year Ronaldo and veteran left back Roberto Carlos were not selected.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Dunga is sticking to most of the players who helped Brazil win last year's Confederations Cup and finish first in South American World Cup qualifying.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]"These players are winners," Dunga said. "There is no doubt that they are prepared to help Brazil reach its goal. They are ready to give their best for the country."[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]One of the biggest surprises was the absence of Adriano, who had been constantly called up by Dunga in recent matches. But there had been doubts because of recent off-the-field problems that caused him to miss several training sessions with Flamengo.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]"We gave Adriano numerous chances," Dunga said. "But it came to a time when we had to make a decision."[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Wolfsburg's Grafite was called up to take Adriano's place.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Ronaldinho, a two-time FIFA player of the year, hadn't been called up for the national team since April 2009, but had been playing well this season with AC Milan.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Brazilian fans and local media had also been pushing for Dunga to summon Santos young sensations Neymar and Paulo Henrique Ganso, who have been among the top players in Brazil this year.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]The 18-year-old forward Neymar has dazzled fans with his speed and balls skills, being called by many as the new Robinho. The 20-year-old Ganso, or Goose in Portuguese, attracted attention for his maturity and ability as a playmaker. Along with Robinho, they led Santos to more than 100 goals in some 30 matches this year.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]"Some players are extremely talented, but we have to test them before taking them to a World Cup," Dunga said. "Maybe they are ready to play in a World Cup now, but maybe they are not."[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Just three of the 20 are based in Brazil: Gilberto, Kleberson and Robinho.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]The roster:[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Inter Milan, Italy), Doni (AS Roma, Italy), Heurelho Gomes (Tottenham, England)[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Defenders: Daniel Alves (Barcelona, Spain), Juan (AS Roma, Italy), Maicon (Inter Milan, Italy), Michel Bastos (Lyon, France), Gilberto (Cruzeiro), Lucio (Inter Milan, Italy), Luisao (Benfica, Portugal), Thiago Silva (AC Milan, Italy)[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Midfielders: Elano (Galatasaray, Turkey), Felipe Melo (Juventus, Brazil), Gilberto Silva (Panathinaikos, Greece), Josue (Wolfsburg, Germany), Julio Baptista (AS Roma, Italy), Kaka (Real Madrid, Spain), Kleberson (Flamengo), Ramires (Benfica, Portugal)[/size][/color]

[/font][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Forwards: Grafite (Wolfsburg, Germany), Luis Fabiano (Sevilla, Spain), Nilmar (Villarreal, Spain), Robinho (Santos)[/font][/color] [/quote]

[url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5180469/ce/us/ronaldinho-adriano-not-brazil-preliminary-roster?campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines&cc=5901&ver=us"]http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5180469/ce/us/ronaldinho-adriano-not-brazil-preliminary-roster?campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines&cc=5901&ver=us[/url]

[quote]
[b][size=5]New Jersey's Rossi on Italy's roster[/size][/b]
[/color][/color][/font]
[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][color=#333333]ROME -- New Jersey's Giuseppe Rossi was selected Tuesday for defending champion Italy's 30-man preliminary World Cup roster, while Francesco Totti and Luca Toni have been left off.[/color][/font]
[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][color=#333333][color=#000000][color=#333333][size=3]Rossi, a 23-year-old forward for Villarreal in Spain, was born in Teaneck and went to Clifton High School. He was eligible to play for both Italy and the United States and opted to play for the Azzurri instead of the Americans. He was the only played selected based outside of Italy.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Totti retired from Italy's national team after helping win the 2006 World Cup. Toni was the Azzurri's primary forward in 2006 and at the 2008 European Championship, but lost his place when he ran into problems at Bayern Munich to start this season.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Toni transferred to Roma in January and has helped the club keep pressure on leader Inter Milan heading into the final weekend of the Serie A season.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Coach Marcello Lippi chose seven forwards, including Marco Borriello, Antonio Di Natale, Alberto Gilardino, Vincenzo Iaquinta, Giampaolo Pazzini and Fabio Quagliarella.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Juventus center back Nicola Legrottaglie was not included despite taking part in a two-day Azzurri training camp last week.[/size][/color]

[/color][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][color=#333333]Teams must cut to 23 by June 1. Italy will train at altitude in Sestriere starting May 23, and has exhibitions against Mexico on June 3 in Brussels and Switzerland two days later in Geneva.[/color][color=#333333][size=3]In South Africa, the Azzurri open against Paraguay on June 14 and also face New Zealand and Slovakia in Group F.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Morgan De Sanctis (Napoli), Federico Marchetti (Cagliari), Salvatore Sirigu (Palermo).[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Defenders: Salvatore Bocchetti (Genoa), Leonardo Bonucci (Bari), Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus), Mattia Cassani (Palermo), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Domenico Criscito (Genoa), Fabio Grosso (Juventus), Christian Maggio (Napoli), Gianluca Zambrotta (AC Milan).[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Midfielders: Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus), Antonio Candreva (Juventus), Andrea Cossu (Cagliari), Daniele De Rossi (AS Roma), Gennaro Gattuso (AC Milan), Claudio Marchisio (Juventus), Riccardo Montolivo (Fiorentina), Angelo Palombo (Sampdoria), Simone Pepe (Udinese), Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan).[/size][/color]

[/font][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Forwards: Marco Borriello (AC Milan), Antonio Di Natale (Udinese), Alberto Gilardino (Fiorentina), Vincenzo Iaquinta (Juventus), Giampaolo Pazzini (Sampdoria), Fabio Quagliarella (Napoli), Giuseppe Rossi (Villarreal, Spain)[/font][/color] [/quote]

[url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5180007/ce/us/new-jersey-giuseppe-rossi-italy-roster-francesco-totti-luca-toni-left-off?cc=5901&ver=us"]http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5180007/ce/us/new-jersey-giuseppe-rossi-italy-roster-francesco-totti-luca-toni-left-off?cc=5901&ver=us[/url]

[quote]
[b][size=5]Carragher returns to England roster[/size][/b]
[/color][/color][/font]
[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][color=#333333]WEMBLEY, England -- England coach Fabio Capello has persuaded defender Jamie Carragher to come out of international retirement for the World Cup, while center back Ledley King has been selected in the preliminary roster despite chronic knee problems.[/color][color=#333333][size=3]Carragher, a 32-year-old Liverpool defender, quit international soccer three years ago after being snubbed by Capello's predecessor, Steve McClaren. Capello said he asked Carragher two months ago to return because "he is a really, really good player."[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]"I said I would make myself available," said Carragher, who has played 34 times for England. "The World Cup and Champions League are the highest levels of football. I'm not getting any younger, we have no Champions League football next season and I am keen to work under Fabio Capello."[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]The 29-year-old King, who also last played for England in 2007, also was included in the 30-man provisional roster despite the Tottenham player being unable to train between matches due to knee problems.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]"We have been monitoring him for a long time -- he is one of the best England defenders," Capello said.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Neither played during qualifying, but Wes Brown and Joleon Lescott have been ruled out of the World Cup due to injuries.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]The final 23-man roster will be announced on June 1 after a training camp in Austria and exhibitions against Mexico and Japan. England plays the United States in its World Cup opener on June 12.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]In midfield, Manchester City's Gareth Barry was included despite being ruled out until June with ankle ligament damage. He'll be re-evaluated May 24 by England's medical staff. Chelsea's Joe Cole was picked despite injuries and a lack of form keeping him off England's roster for almost two years.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]West Ham midfielder Scott Parker also has a chance to convince Capello to take him to South Africa.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Capello tried to convince Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes to return, six years after the 35-year-old retired from international play, but was unsuccessful.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]"He said he would prefer to spend time with his family," Capello said.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Two players were picked who have never played for the national team: Manchester City winger Adam Johnson and Spurs center back Michael Dawson.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]"When you're playing for a top football club, as I have been this season on a regular basis and putting in good performances, there's always that chance of playing for England," Dawson said. "Luckily enough, I've got the call."[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Aston Villa's Stephen Warnock and Everton's Leighton Baines are backup options for left back Ashley Cole. Manchester City left back Wayne Bridge quit the national team in February after allegations that captain John Terry had an affair with the mother of his child.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Up front, forwards Wayne Rooney and Emile Heskey have been joined by Tottenham's Peter Crouch and Jermain Defoe, as well as Sunderland's Darren Bent. Aston Villa's Gabriel Agbonlahor, whose 13 goals tied him for 10th in league scoring, was not included.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Paul Robinson, England's first-choice goalkeeper at the 2006 World Cup, was left off. David James, Robert Green and Joe Hart were selected.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Goalkeepers: Robert Green (West Ham), Joe Hart (Manchester City), David James (Portsmouth)[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Michael Dawson (Tottenham). Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ledley King (Tottenham), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa)[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), James Milner (Aston Villa), Scott Parker (West Ham), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City)[/size][/color]

[/font][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Forwards: Darren Bent (Sunderland), Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)[/font][/color] [/quote]

[url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5179849/ce/us/jamie-carragher-england-comes-international-retirement-added-roster?cc=5901&ver=us"]http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5179849/ce/us/jamie-carragher-england-comes-international-retirement-added-roster?cc=5901&ver=us[/url]

[quote]

[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]
[b][size=5]Slovenia names World Cup roster[/size][/b]

[/color][/font][/color]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][color=#333333]LJUBLJANA, Slovenia -- West Bromwich Albion midfielder Robert Koren, Bochum forward Zlatko Dedic and Udinese goalkeeper Samir Handanovic headed Slovenia's 30-man preliminary World Cup roster.[/color][color=#333333][size=3]Slovenia coach Matjaz Kek is relying on a core of players who helped the nation reach the tournament for the second time.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]The roster announced Tuesday also included Grenoble defender Bostjan Cesar, Wisla Krakow midfielder Andraz Kirm and Cologne forward Milivoj Novakovic.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Kek didn't hide satisfaction that all of the players are healthy and ready.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Slovenia went 0-3 at the 2002 World Cup. This time it opens June 13 against Algeria, then plays the United States five days later and closes the first round against England on June 23. Before the tournament, Slovenia has an exhibition against New Zealand on June 4.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Goalkeepers: Jasmin Handanovic (Mantova, Italy), Samir Handanovic (Udinese, Italy), Jan Koprivec (Gallipoli, Turkey), Aleksander Seliga (Sparta Rotterdam, Netherlands)[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Defenders: Miso Brecko (Cologne, Germany), Bostjan Cesar (Grenoble, France), Elvedin Dzinic (Maribor), Suad Filekovic (Maribor), Branko Ilic (Lokomotiv Moscow, Russia), Bojan Jokic (Chievo Verona, Italy), Dejan Kelhar (Cercle Brugge, Belgium), Aleksandar Rajcevic (Koper), Matej Mavric-Rozic (Koblenz, Germany), Marko Suler (Ghent, Belgium)[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]Midfielders: Valter Birsa (Auxerre, France), Andraz Kirm (Wisla Krakow, Poland), Andrej Komac (Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Israel), Robert Koren (West Bromwich Albion, England), Rene Krhin (Inter Milan, Italy), Darjan Matic (Rapid Bucharest, Romania), Aleksander Radosavljevic (Larissa, Greece), Mirnes Sisic (Giannina, Greece), Dalibor Stevanovic (Vitesse Arnhem, Netherlands), Dare Vrsic (Koper)[/size][/color]

[/font][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Forwards: Miran Burgic (AIK, Sweden), Zlatko Dedic (Bochum, Germany), Zlatan Ljubijankic (Ghent, Belgiumg), Tim Matavz (Groningen, Netherlands), Milivoje Novakovic (Cologne, Germany), Nejc Pecnik (Nacional Funchal)[/font][/color] [/quote]

[url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5180029/ce/us/us-group-opponent-slovenia-names-30-man-roster?cc=5901&ver=us"]http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5180029/ce/us/us-group-opponent-slovenia-names-30-man-roster?cc=5901&ver=us[/url]

[quote][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="3"][size="3"]
[b][size=6]Injured Torres, Fabregas recovering well[/size][/b][/size][/size][/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="3"][size="3"][size=5][b]
[/b][/size][/size][/size][color="#333333"][size="3"]MADRID -- Cesc Fabregas and Fernando Torres have been included in Spain's preliminary 30-man World Cup roster as they recover from injuries.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]Spain coach Vicente del Bosque announced their selection Monday. He must cut to the 23-man limit by June 1.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]Del Bosque recently admitted he was concerned about the recovery of the duo, who have been key members of the Spanish team. However, shortly before Monday's squad announcement doctors said both were recovering well.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]The roster also includes Sevilla winger Jesus Navas, who earlier in his career ruled himself out of international soccer due to anxiety attacks.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes also made the list after a strong season for Barcelona. Atletico Madrid's 19-year-old goalkeeper, David de Gea, also was included after a season in which he broke into his club's first team.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]As expected, Barcelona and Real Madrid have the most representatives. Barcelona has seven and is particularly dominant in midfield with the inclusion of Xavi Hernandez, Sergio Busquets and Andres Iniesta, another player recovering from injury.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]Pedro Rodriguez, who has had a successful season for Barcelona despite having to fight for a place in his club's lineup, was included, with Valencia's Pablo Hernandez dropped. Apart from attack mainstays David Villa and Torres, Sevilla's Alvaro Negredo and Athletic Bilbao's Fernando Llorente made their way onto Del Bosque's roster.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]The European champion plays Switzerland, Honduras and Chile in the first round.[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]The roster:[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]• Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), David De Gea (Atletico de Madrid), Diego Lopez (Villareal), Pepe Reina (Liverpool, England), Victor Valdes (Barcelona)[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]• Defenders: Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Cesar Azpilicueta (Osasuna), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)[/size][/color]

[color="#333333"][size="3"]• Midfielders: Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal, England), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Javier Martinez (Athletic Bilbao), Marcos Senna (Villarreal), David Silva (Valencia), Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona)[/size][/color]

[/font][color="#333333"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]• Forwards: Santiago Cazorla (Villarreal), Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Juan Manuel Mata (Valencia), Pedro Rodriguez (Barcelona), Daniel Guiza (Fenerbache, Turkey), Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Alvaro Negredo (Sevilla), Fernando Torres (Liverpool, England), David Villa (Valencia).[/font][/color] [/quote]

[url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5177728/ce/us/fernando-torres-cesc-fabregas-recovering-well?cc=5901&ver=us"]http://soccernet.esp...?cc=5901&ver=us[/url]

[quote]
[color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="4"][b][i]
[b][size="6"]Bradley Announces 30-Man Preliminary Roster for 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa[/size][/b]
[/i][/b][/size][/font][/color][color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="4"][b][i]

[b][size="3"]U.S. Men's National Team head coach Bob Bradley has submitted to FIFA the 30-man preliminary roster for the 2010 FIFA World Cup. From this list, a squad of 23 players must be chosen by June 1 for the final roster that will travel to South Africa. The 30 players will begin reporting to Princeton, N.J., on May 15 for the start of training camp, with field sessions beginning two days later.[/size][/b]
[/i][/b][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font][/color][color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="4"][b][i]
[/i][/b][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="4"][b][i]Players Will Report To Princeton Beginning May 15 for Training Camp;[/i][/b][center][b][i]Send-Off Series Matches Are May 25 Against Czech Republic in East Hartford and May 29 against Turkey in Philadelphia[/i][/b][/center][center][b][i]
[/i][/b][/center]
CHICAGO (May 11, 2010) — U.S. Men's National Team head coach Bob Bradley has submitted to FIFA the 30-man preliminary roster for the 2010 FIFA World Cup. From this list, a squad of 23 players must be chosen by June 1 for the final roster that will travel to South Africa. The 30 players will begin reporting to Princeton, N.J., on May 15 for the start of training camp, with field sessions beginning two days later. The U.S. will face two of the traditionally stronger teams from Europe in the Czech Republic and Turkey in the Send-Off Series prior to departing for South Africa. Nearly 25,000 tickets have already been sold for the match against Czech Republic on May 25 in East Hartford, Conn. ([url="http://www.ussoccer.com/Schedule-Tickets/2010/100525-US-Men-vs-Czech-Republic.aspx"]tickets[/url]) Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. ET, and the match will be broadcast live on ESPN and Galavision. The final home tune-up match against Turkey will be played May 29 at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia ([url="http://www.ussoccer.com/Schedule-Tickets/2010/100529-US-Men-vs-Turkey.aspx"]tickets[/url]), where almost 40,000 tickets have already been sold. ESPN2 and Galavision will broadcast the match live beginning at 2 p.m. ET. For both matches, ESPN will be airing a special 30-minute pre-game show. Fans can also follow the games live on ussoccer.com's MatchTracker and at twitter.com/ussoccer. [/size][/font][/color]
[color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="4"][b]
[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="4"][b]U.S. TRAINING CAMP ROSTER BY POSITION[/b] -[/size][/font][/color]
[color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="4"][b]
[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="4"][b][i][url="http://www.ussoccer.com/Tournaments/FIFA-World-Cup/2010-FIFA-World-Cup/Training-Camp-Roster/Roster.aspx?q=name"]Detailed Roster[/url][/i][/b][/size][/font][/color]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#544D4D"][size="4"][b][i]
[/i][/b][/size][/color][/font][color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="4"][u]GOALKEEPERS (3):[/u] Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton)[/size][/font][/color]
[color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="4"][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="4"][u]DEFENDERS (9):[/u] Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Jay DeMerit (Watford), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan), Heath Pearce (FC Dallas), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United) [/size][/font][/color]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#544D4D"][size=4]
[/size][/color][/font][color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="4"][u]MIDFIELDERS (12):[/u] DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers), Alejandro Bedoya (Örebro), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus), Stuart Holden (Bolton), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), José Torres (Pachuca) [/size][/font][/color]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#544D4D"][size=4]
[/size][/color][/font][color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="4"][u]FORWARDS (6):[/u] Jozy Altidore (Villarreal), Edson Buddle (Los Angeles Galaxy), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake), Herculez Gomez (Puebla), Eddie Johnson (Aris Thessaloniki) [/size][/font][/color]
[color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font][/color]
[color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="4"]"Throughout the past three years a number of players have contributed to our journey toward South Africa and we appreciate all of their efforts," said Bradley. "We are very excited to get this group together to begin our pre-World Cup training camp as we continue to prepare for the challenge of the World Cup."[/size][/font][/color]
[color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font][/color]
[color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="4"]The U.S. team will depart for South Africa on May 30, arriving the following day. The United States will [url="http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2010/03/US-to-Face-Australia-on-June-5-in-Roodepoort-South-Africa.aspx"]play Australia on June 5 in Roodepoort, South Africa[/url], one week before playing its first match of the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Kickoff at Ruimsig Stadium in suburban Johannesburg is set for 2:30 p.m. local time (8:30 a.m. ET), and the match will be broadcast live on ESPN2. Fans can also follow along live on ussoccer.com's MatchTracker and at twitter.com/ussoccer.

[/size][/font][/color][color="#544D4D"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="4"]The U.S. Men's National Team has been drawn into Group C with England, Slovenia and Algeria for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa. The U.S. will open its sixth consecutive World Cup finals tournament against England on June 12 in Rustenburg, and will follow that game with matches against Slovenia on June 18 in Johannesburg and Algeria on June 23 in Tshwane/Pretoria.[/size][/font][/color] [/quote]

[url="http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2010/05/US-MNT-Head-Coach-Bob-Bradley-Names-Preliminary-World-Cup-Roster.aspx"]http://www.ussoccer....Cup-Roster.aspx[/url]

What a fucking joke. Gooch and Stu are recently injured..i mean Gooch has been out as long as Charlie. And were gonna bring Robbie Findley and Sacha to camp? Is this real? We can't even bring Charlie into camp? Complete and utter bullshit. I hate Bob Bradley and his double-fucking standards. Our strikers are just as weak as our backline..

Pissified right now. Ching hasn't played in a awhile either..

[quote][font=arial][size=4]
[b][size=5]Davies not included on World Cup camp roster[/size][/b]

[size=5]
[/size][color=#000000]U.S. national team coach [b]Bob Bradley [/b]selected 30 players for World Cup training camp, but forward [b]Charlie Davies[/b], who has made a remarkable comeback since suffering serious injuries in an auto accident last fall, was not on it.[/color]

[color=#000000]"Charlie has shown so much heart in his work to get back from his injuries," Bradley said. "We have monitored all of his workouts, we've had people there, we've observed him. He remained part of the consideration right up until yesterday. We also had information from his club that he hadn't been given full medical clearance. Therefore, [he was] not given a full release to join the camp. So when we put that together with everything, we just felt that right now, it's in his best interests to continue his rehab so he can get back to the level that he was playing last year before the accident."[/color]

[/size][/font][font=arial][size=4]Training camp will open this weekend at Princeton University, with workouts scheduled to begin Monday. Bradley said two weeks ago that he planned to invite 26 to 28 players to camp, but the USSF said today that all 30 will be there. The 23-man final roster for the trip to South Africa must be submitted to FIFA by June 1, but in reality, it will be in place before the May 29 friendly against Turkey in Philadelphia.[/size][/font] [/quote]

[url="http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/"]http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/[/url]

[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' date='11 May 2010 - 05:03 PM' timestamp='1273611813' post='887736']
[url="http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/"]http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/[/url]
[/quote]
Hmm..all things led me to believe that Charlie was ready to go. Anyways..I saw on No Short Corners that Charlie could be a replacement for a mysterious injury..so I guess I can't give up hope now. But it sounded like he was already moving along in practice and would be ready by now. C'mon 9. He gives our attack so much more speed and was outstanding at the CC last year. Nothing that can be had by anyone else on the roster besides Landon and we need him on the wing.

[quote name='JC' date='11 May 2010 - 05:42 PM' timestamp='1273617728' post='887800']
Hmm..all things led me to believe that Charlie was ready to go. Anyways..I saw on No Short Corners that Charlie could be a replacement for a mysterious injury..so I guess I can't give up hope now. But it sounded like he was already moving along in practice and would be ready by now. C'mon 9. He gives our attack so much more speed and was outstanding at the CC last year. Nothing that can be had by anyone else on the roster besides Landon and we need him on the wing.
[/quote]

I hope he can still make it. As much noise as Buddle and Gomez have made, I think their exploits need weighted for where they play. Jozy needs the right compliment to work up top with him and I'm wondering where that's coming from with the current list of candidates.

[quote]
[color=#FF0000][color=#000000][size=5]Selection process cruel to U.S. heroes

[/size][b][size=1]by [/size][url="http://www.socceramerica.com/author/45/paul-kennedy/"][size=1]Paul Kennedy[/size][/url][size=1], May 11th, 2010 2:09PM[/size][/b][/color][/color]
[color=#FF0000]
[/color]
[color=#FF0000][WORLD CUP COUNTDOWN][/color] The USA qualified for the 2010 World Cup with a thrilling 3-2 win over Honduras, arguably its biggest away victory since its 1-0 win at Trinidad & Tobago qualified it for the 1990 World Cup 20 years earlier. But the World Cup selection process can often be cruel as [b]Conor Casey[/b] and [b]Charlie Davies[/b], the two stars up front that memorable night in San Pedro Sula, found out on Tuesday when they got the news that they won't be going to South Africa.

Casey's two goals -- the first set up when Davies flicked a ball on to him in the penalty area -- against Honduras are the only two goals he's scored in his 20 games for the USA, and he lost out to at least three forwards who did not take part in qualifying -- [b]Robbie Findley[/b],[b]Edson Buddle[/b] and [b]Herculez Gomez[/b].

Casey was preferred to [b]Jozy Altidore[/b] for the crucial game against the Catrachos, but it's Altidore who's the only sure bet among six strikers on Coach [b]Bob Bradley[/b]'s short list.

Injured three nights later in a car accident that took the life of another passenger, Davies lost a race against the clock to recover in time for the World Cup.

Like [b]Oguchi Onyewu,[/b] who injured his knee the day after Davies' accident, Davies has not played since October.

Davies returned to France's Sochaux and hoped to play again before the end of the Ligue 1 season, but Bradley said on Tuesday Sochaux would not issue a medical clearance for him to join the U.S. training camp.

As for Onyewu, he made the AC Milan traveling squad for its game at Genoa on Sunday.

"He didn’t make the 18-man squad," [url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/38020/bradley-on-the-decision-process.html"]said[/url] Bradley, "but I think that shows he continues to make progress.[b]"[/b]

Bradley had few surprises in Tuesday's announcement except to say that he would be bringing all 30 players to camp in Princeton, N.J., where field sessions begin on Monday.

Of note:

-- Bradley took 21 foreign-based players and nine MLS players.

-- It's a relatively young team with 15 players 25 or younger on June 12 when the USA opens against England. Only five of the 30 players are 30 or older.

-- Only seven players have played in the World Cup. [b]DaMarcus Beasley [/b]and [b]Landon Donovan[/b] have played in two.

-- Davies and Casey were two of only six players from the U.S. team that finished second at the 2009 Confederations Cup who did not make the list of 30 players.

-- The most notable absentee, of course, is [b]Freddy Adu[/b], whose stock has fallen so low that his exclusion from Tuesday's list hardly received any mention. [/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/38008/selection-process-cruel-to-us-heroes.html"]http://www.socceramerica.com/article/38008/selection-process-cruel-to-us-heroes.html[/url]

[quote]
[color=#FF0000][color=#000000][size=5]Candidates take the field one more time

[/size][b][size=1]by [/size][url="http://www.socceramerica.com/author/49/ridge-mahoney/"][size=1]Ridge Mahoney[/size][/url][size=1], May 12th, 2010 2:28AM[/size][/b][/color][/color]
[color=#FF0000]
[/color]
[color=#FF0000][USA][/color] The final matches for players summoned to the pre-World Cup U.S. training camp start on Wednesday with the most prestigious. Fulham coach [b]Roy Hodgson[/b] danced around the topic of whether English striker [b]Bobby Zamora[/b], who didn't participate in the team’s final training session prior to the Europa League final against Spanish club Atletico Madrid, would be ready to start the match. Zamora's absence might affect the status of [b]Clint Dempsey[/b], or it might not.

The American scored the vital fourth goal in Fulham’s spectacular 4-1 defeat of Juventus in the round of 16 two months ago off the bench, and is candidate to start in midfield, though Hodgson has plenty of experience available in [b]Damien Duff, Dickson Etuhu, Simon Davies [/b]and [b]Zoltan Gera[/b]. The coach has also used Dempsey in more of a central role, though former Revs assistant coach [b]Paul Mariner[/b]believes his best spot is out wide.

“He’s not the fastest guy in the world but he’s done a fantastic job in what we call the ‘graveyard shift’ in English football, whether it’s the Premier League or the [League] Championship, it’s a tough position to play,” says Mariner. “You have to be able to get up the flank or come inside and he’s worked it out very, very well.

“He makes it difficult for defenses by not playing out wide on the line all the time. He can come underneath a striker like Zamora if he’s not running the line. Literally, it’s byline-to-byline. You have to defend deep enough to help the right back, and then you have to get forward into the attack and get to the byline and whip the balls in. The amount of kilometers those players have to cover in a game is phenomenal. You have to be super-fit to play those positions.

“He’s so valuable to the club because he’s versatile, he’d adaptable. Whether it’s on the left or the right, he gets on with his job. For the manager, it’s fantastic to know what you’re going to get from a player when you put him in.”

Duff, who has been suffering from a leg injury but trained Tuesday, is first choice for one wide position; Dempsey and Gera are other options. Zamora could be replaced by [b]Erik Nevland[/b], who is expected to see time anyway is this is his last game for Fulham before returning to Viking Stavanger, his former club, next month.

Dempsey started 27 of 29 Premier League games for Fulham this season and scored seven goals, one behind team leader Zamora. In European play, though, Zamora equaled his league total with eight goals in 15 matches. Dempsey played six European games, all starts, and netted twice, including an incredible chip for the final goal of an historic 4-1 win over Juventus and 5-4 edge on aggregate in the round of 16.

Dempsey will thus have only a few days of rest before reporting to the U.S. training camp in Princeton, N.J. Training commences Monday, and over the weekend fitness coach [b]Pierre Barrieu[/b]will evaluate the players to assess how battered and bruised they are. The emphasis of the camp, according to U.S. coach [b]Bob Bradley[/b], will be on fitness.

A full slate of eight MLS games starts Thursday with defending champion Real Salt Lake hosting Houston. RSL striker [b]Robbie Findley[/b] has been called to the U.S. camp, as has Dynamo forward [b]Brian Ching[/b], who has resumed training after missing two months with a strained hamstring. Findley, though, is questionable because of a lower back contusion.

“It’s been a little stressful; I’m not going to lie,” Ching said to [url="http://www.houstondynamo.com/news/2010/05/ching-named-united-states-30-man-roster"]mlssoccer.com[/url]. “Being injured and having that injury at that time is just bad timing. The past few weeks it’s something that I’ve been thinking about quite a bit. I’m just happy that I’m fit now. I’m healthy. I’m ready to go.”

Seven other MLS candidates will be in action on Saturday, although Rapids striker [b]Conor Casey [/b]isn’t among them. He scored two goals in the 3-2 victory over Honduras last October in San Pedro Sula that clinched a World Cup spot for the U.S. but didn’t make the 30-man roster.

“He called and told me that I wasn't going to be part of the squad,” said Casey. “It was a short conversation; obviously I'm disappointed. To not make the final 23 might not have been a surprise but to not make the 30 was one.” [/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/38038/candidates-take-the-field-one-more-time.html"]http://www.socceramerica.com/article/38038/candidates-take-the-field-one-more-time.html[/url]

[quote]
[color=#FF0000][color=#000000][size=5]Bradley on the decision process ...

[/size][b][size=1]May 11th, 2010 5:34PM[/size][/b][/color][/color]
[color=#FF0000]
[/color]
[color=#FF0000][USA] [/color]U.S. national team coach [b]Bob Bradley[/b] named the 30 players who have been invited to take part in the pre-World Cup training camp in Princeton, N.J. He comments on the selection process, his decision to call up [b]Edson Buddle[/b] and [b]Herculez Gomez[/b], not to take[b]Charlie Davies [/b]and to bring all 30 players into camp ...

[i]On selecting the 30-man preliminary roster for the World Cup:[/i]
"We feel we've put a very good group together. Obviously a lot goes into qualification and many players are involved. It's not always easy to get down to 30, but we feel very good about the group we have. As a staff, we did everything to continue to watch games, assess players and look at situations that involved injuries. We needed to make sure we had full information and again we have been very thorough in being sure we're on top of each situation. Therefore the work has been quite good."

[i]On what the toughest decisions were in making decisions about choosing the roster:[/i]
“To be fair, there are tough decisions in all aspects of the process. We have tremendous respect for players who have contributed in the past. We also take into account so many players that are playing well week in and week out for their clubs that haven’t had the chance to play with the national team. It’s a goal and a dream of every player to represent the United States in the World Cup. So, when you go about the process of putting a roster together, we understand and respect what everybody has put into it along the way.”

[i]On the leadership and unity within the team now that they have been through the World Cup qualifying cycle together:[/i]
“Our leadership is key. From the beginning, we’ve talked to certain players that the need was there to take more responsibility to step up where other guys have been leaders in the past and assume those responsibilities. We’ve seen along the way [b]Timmy Howard[/b], [b]Carlos Bocanegra[/b], [b]Oguchi Onyewu[/b], [b]Steve Cherundolo[/b], [b]Landon Donovan[/b] and [b]Clint Dempsey[/b] are the guys who have responded well and I think that the group as a whole has shown that there are many guys capable of providing leadership at the right times. I think that’s very important."

[i]On the process that ultimately led to the decision not to include [b]Charlie Davies[/b]:[/i]
“Charlie has shown incredible heart and determination to reach this point in his recovery. We have followed his progress extensively during the past several months through physical examinations and personal observation by our staff, and he remained in consideration for this training camp until yesterday. FC Sochaux notified us that at this point Charlie has not been given medical clearance, and that they would not grant his full release to join the camp. Given that status and our own evaluation of his progress, we feel it is Charlie’s best interest to continue his rehabilitation and focus on getting fully prepared to resume his professional and international career.”

[i]On the beginning of training camp:[/i]
“As has been the case in both and 2002 and 2006, we’ll put a big emphasis early in the camp on fitness. [b]Pierre Barrieu[/b] has been involved in both those previous efforts and has done a tremendous job in terms of organizing our conditioning program. We’ve discussed how to find a good balance and still getting some regular training, but the early emphasis will be on fitness.”
<br style="font-style: italic; ">[i]On the decision to bring all 30 players into camp:[/i]
“We discussed different possibilities given the number of players that are rehabbing and getting back into training and at the same time not playing in regular games. We felt the need to bring 30 players into the camp and to use that time to further assess where we are with some of those players.”

[i]On the status of the players who were injured:[/i]
“Oguchi Onyewu was named as part of a 23-man group for consideration for the squad for Milan over the weekend. He didn’t make the 18-man squad, but I think that shows he continues to make progress.[b] Stuart Holden[/b] got back into the team at Bolton and played 25 minutes so that’s great for us. We are excited that both continue to make progress.”

[i]On what [b]Edson Buddle[/b] and[b] Herculez Gomez[/b] did to earn a spot on the preliminary roster:[/i]
“Both Edson and Herculez have had a very good season. Both have helped their teams a great deal. Edson has been the hottest goal scorer in MLS and has helped the Galaxy get off to a great start. Herculez was an important player with Puebla and scored a lot of goals. We feel that both of them have shown enough for us to take a look at them as we start the camp.”

[i]On[/i][b][i] Jose Francisco Torres[/i][/b][i] and his club commitments overlapping with a portion of the training camp:[/i]
“We will continue to monitor the next series obviously between Pachuca and Toluca. Those games are both scheduled on the 12th and 15th (of May) and then we’ll assess the situation following that series.” [/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/38020/bradley-on-the-decision-process.html"]http://www.socceramerica.com/article/38020/bradley-on-the-decision-process.html[/url]

Archived