Robert Geathers vs Jonathan Ogden

If Geathers gets the nod to play at the right end spot he will be facing some pretty good left tackles. Especially given that we will be facing the Ratbirds and one of the premier left tackles twice this year. Who would win in a matchup between Ogden and Geathers. Will Geathers cut the mustard in general against the better LT's in the league. Tarik Glenn is another good LT who he will will face when we play the Colts. Any thoughts on this?

English Bengal

I would take a healthy Ogden over any DE at this point. But, Anyone can be beat, and Geathers does have long arms, and may be able to get some sort of seperation from Ogden enough to get around him. I give Geathers a 5% chance that he will get a sack against Ogden. I give Smith a 5.5% alcohol by content chance of beating Ogden. But, I think by nexy year, Geathers could match up favorably with most LT's. Ogden is shut down though.

Guest Claptonrocks
Well you aren't going to overpower Ogden with bullrushes so you have to neutralize him with speed as Feeney of the Colts did last year. He actually put some moves on Ogden that had the big guy on his ass! Geathers has the speed.. Now to watch Film of Feeney and see if he can incorporate some of that into his own game...

[quote name='EnglishBengal' date='May 18 2005, 06:21 PM']If Geathers gets the nod to play at the right end spot he will be facing some pretty good left tackles.  Especially given that we will be facing the Ratbirds and one of the premier left tackles twice this year.  Who would win in a matchup between Ogden and Geathers.  Will Geathers cut the mustard in general against the better LT's in the league.  Tarik Glenn is another good LT who he will will face when we play the Colts.  Any thoughts on this?

English Bengal
[right][post="93888"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

This is the exact reason why GEATHERS IS OVERRATED. A DE who has a career total of 3.5 sacks, vs the best offensive tackle in the last 10 years. CMON GUYS.....this is absurd.

[quote name='CornerBlitZ' date='May 18 2005, 03:55 PM']This is the exact reason why GEATHERS IS OVERRATED.  A DE who has a career total of 3.5 sacks, vs the best offensive tackle in the last 10 years.  CMON GUYS.....this is absurd.
[right][post="93903"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Overrated???! A 4th round rookie seeing limited playing time getting 3.5 sacks is OVERRATED?! Agreed, he may have problems against Ogden, but apart from Freeney, who didn't? There's a reason Ogden's been to multiple Pro Bowls. Now, if Geathers had started full time all season last year, I could begin to comprehend your reasoning, but since it's well known that he didn't, I don't understand why you don't think he's going to grow into being at least a decent player with more playing time, especially since last year he would have been a senior at Georgia.

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='CornerBlitZ' date='May 18 2005, 05:55 PM']This is the exact reason why GEATHERS IS OVERRATED.  A DE who has a career total of 3.5 sacks, vs the best offensive tackle in the last 10 years.  CMON GUYS.....this is absurd.

He probably played 5% of the snaps last season too.

[quote name='CornerBlitZ' date='May 18 2005, 05:55 PM']This is the exact reason why GEATHERS IS OVERRATED.  A DE who has a career total of 3.5 sacks, vs the best offensive tackle in the last 10 years.  CMON GUYS.....this is absurd.

Are you kidding with this Geathers bashing? Are you serious about the 3.5 sacks? You know how little he played. Thats damn good for that much PT. He also had an INT for a touchdown as you keep forgeting. Face it, you know nothing about Jumpy. So why don't you just stop bashing him?

I don't think Ogden has been the same player since that game against Indy. What a clinic Freeney put on that day. What was it...two sacks and two holding calls against Ogden? Wow. I think he did have ankle problems that day...which explained him whiffing on some of Freeney's spin moves. But when he got bull rushed by Dwight. You could see the "What the fuck just happened" look in his eyes after the play.

However, Ogden is still all world and the best LT in our division. I'd like Ogden's chances against anyone in the AFC North.

Archived