Adam Jones works hard to earn position

[quote][size="5"][b]Adam Jones works hard to earn position[/b][/size]

Coach: "If he continues to do things the right way he will help us"

BY JOE REEDY • JREEDY@ENQUIRER.COM • AUGUST 12, 2010

GEORGETOWN, Ky. - Cornerback continues to make progress as he battles to make an impact in the secondary this season.

Jones, who didn't play in two of the past three seasons, has had a good training camp and a solid performance in last Sunday's preseason opener against Dallas. Jones started in place of the injured Johnathan Joseph, and made three tackles. He also lined up as a return man on punts and kickoffs.

"I'm a lot more comfortable and I've just been working hard every day," said Jones, who signed as a free agent three months ago.

Jones will see more snaps Sunday when the Bengals host the Denver Broncos at Paul Brown Stadium.

Coaches continue to stress sticking to technique and playing within the scheme to Jones. All parties are happy with his tackling, but his technique remains a work in progress.

"It's not as consistent as we would like it but he has made a lot of progress," secondary coach Kevin Coyle said. "When he plays with correct technique he's a very, very competitive guy. He just needs a lot of work and reps.

"From the beginning, it was made very clear what we expected. He understands the importance of this opportunity and because of that he's been conscientious of what we want on and off the field."

Coyle has been pleased with Jones' effort and noted that even though he participated in the organized team activities and minicamp, there is work to be done after not playing last year.

Jones realizes that he remains under the microscope. One slipup could mean the difference between a roster spot and the possible end of his career.

"The talent is still there. It's about playing with speed and within the defense," Jones said. "I feel good about the work I've put in, where I'm at right now and where I'm going."

If he continues at this pace, Jones should have the inside track on the third corner spot and remains in the mix as a kick returner. He had nine yards on one punt return and returned a kick 31 yards after bobbling it in the end zone against Dallas.

With starting cornerbacks Leon Hall and Joseph coming off good seasons, Jones' addition could make the Bengals formidable in the nickel.

Said Coyle: "If he continues to do things the right way he will help us."

In 2008 with Dallas, Jones had 33 tackles and 13 passes defended but struggled with returns. If he can have a season close to what he had in 2006 with Tennessee - 67 tackles, four interceptions and three punt returns for touchdowns - he will definitely be an asset.

Off the field, Jones says everything is going well. His fiancé is expecting another child this fall (they have a 4-year-old daughter).

"It takes time to mature, it didn't happen overnight. It's been a process," Jones said. "There are no worries now, I'm just smiling and happy. It's about football. The past is the past, there's no use in bringing it up now."[/quote]

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100812/SPT02/8130342/Adam-Jones-making-impact

Archived