Recording Bengals football.

I believe like many that this will be an exciting season for the Bengal Nation.

Since all the games will most likely be on television i'd like to hear from some pro's who have built up a collection of Bengals games.

Whats the best way to get the games to disk at the highest quality possible? And Preferably on a single dvd r?

Guest BengalBacker
I'm just guessing here, but what I'm thinking about doing is getting a tv capture card for my computer. You run your cable directly to it and watch the game and record it on your computer. Go has one so maybe he can shed some light on it. I would think the quality would be better than recording it to tape and then transferring it to your computer. You might be able to record directly from tivo too for those who have it. I don't, so I'm not sure.

i use a leadtek capture card, its great, pretty good quality, an entire game is about 7-9 GIGS, cut out the comemrcials and half time and have just the clock ticking and the gameplay and it BARELY BARELY fits onto 1 disc. my latest ghetto configuration is bringing my DVR into my office, the cable line goes to that, which has a built in coaxial amplifier in it, then taking the signal from that to the capture card via S video instead of straight cable to capture card, it seems i get less "fuzz" that way, but thats also where the file size ranges from 7GB to 9GB and harder to fit on one disc. i will be setting up both my DVR and the capture card to copy the games, for my own personal use of course, and use whichever is better quality. i can always bump the copy ON the dvr to my hard drive pretty easy... in fact if you watch the game as you dump it, you can drop out most all the commercials right then and save some editing later.

the dvr will NOT fit a whole game onto a DVD right now... i may leave this one in my office and get a newer model in a few months, .. depending how much they advance.

Appreciate the reply Go. Do you have cable or Satelite? I'm wondering if there's a difference in the strength of the output signal? Does editing out the commericals, half time etc. get the size to 4.7 gb (or less) or do you compress the footage too? Then i guess you make a disk image of the file and burn?

Anyone have success with Tivo or the Satelitte versions of Tivo?

[quote name='The Scales' date='Jun 22 2005, 06:03 PM']Appreciate the reply Go.  Do you have cable or Satelite?  I'm wondering if there's a difference in the strength of the output signal?    Does editing out the commericals, half time etc. get the size to 4.7 gb (or less) or do you compress the footage too?  Then i guess you make a disk image of the file and burn?

Anyone have success with Tivo or the Satelitte versions of Tivo?
[right][post="106080"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

im using cable, however its direct tv, converted to about 270 apartments, so i dont have my own dish and receiver, but runs in the place as normal cable would.. only get about 50-60 channels...

cutting out the commercials and half time gets it between 4.4 and 5-ish GB.. so sometiems compression sometimes not.. i have nothing to do with HD at the moment... so no advice there.

Guest mongoloido

I've got an ATI TV Wonder USB2.0 on the way. It seemed to get good reviews, so I'm hopefull. Now I just need cable. :P

Go: What are you using to edit out the commercials and halftime and stuff?

Guest BengalBacker

[quote name='mongoloido' date='Jun 23 2005, 10:32 AM']I've got an ATI TV Wonder USB2.0 on the way. It seemed to get good reviews, so I'm hopefull. Now I just need cable. :P

Go: What are you using to edit out the commercials and halftime and stuff?
[right][post="106322"][/post][/right][/quote]

hmmm....

Doesn't sound bad. You might want to read this review. Sounds like there are some bugs. Let me know how it works out. I might get one.

[url="http://www.everythingusb.com/hardware/index/ATI_TV_Wonder_USB_2.0.htm"]http://www.everythingusb.com/hardware/inde...der_USB_2.0.htm[/url]

Guest mongoloido

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Jun 23 2005, 01:15 PM']hmmm....

Doesn't sound bad. You might want to read this review. Sounds like there are some bugs. Let me know how it works out. I might get one.

[url="http://www.everythingusb.com/hardware/index/ATI_TV_Wonder_USB_2.0.htm"]http://www.everythingusb.com/hardware/inde...der_USB_2.0.htm[/url]
[right][post="106350"][/post][/right][/quote]

Thanks for the article. My understanding was that the driver and software updates this spring and summer had solved most of the bug issues. Guess I'll find out next week. :D

[quote name='mongoloido' date='Jun 23 2005, 10:32 AM']Go: What are you using to edit out the commercials and halftime and stuff?
[right][post="106322"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

adobe premier

occasionally ulead DVD workshop if i feel saucy...

both do basically the same, ulead is better for addintg effects and titl;es on screen and stuff.. well easier.. not better...

Guest steggyD
[quote name='GoBengals' date='Jun 23 2005, 05:51 PM']adobe premier

both do  basically the same, ulead is better for addintg effects and titl;es on screen and stuff.. well easier.. not better...
[right][post="106481"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Premiere blows Ulead away. Throw some After Effects in there too, and you got yourself some quality television.

[quote name='mongoloido' date='Jun 23 2005, 03:04 PM']Thanks for the article. My understanding was that the driver and software updates this spring and summer had solved most of the bug issues. Guess I'll find out next week. :D
[right][post="106384"][/post][/right][/quote]

I found a Mac Version on ATI's website. Looks like a good solution, and not too pricey. I'd love to hear what you think of yours when you get it hooked up and tested out. ;)

Guest mongoloido

[quote name='The Scales' date='Jun 24 2005, 11:11 AM']I found a Mac Version on ATI's website.  Looks like a good solution, and not too pricey.  I'd love to hear what you think of yours when you get it hooked up and tested out. ;)
[right][post="106697"][/post][/right][/quote]

Sure thing. I'll get the skinny on the card and post back here.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='Jun 23 2005, 04:51 PM']adobe premier

both do  basically the same, ulead is better for addintg effects and titl;es on screen and stuff.. well easier.. not better...
[right][post="106481"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Premier is just that the premier video editing software for the common tech savvy person, yet if you are more a beginner I would recommend using Ulead Video Studio, for 100 dollars it can do most of the things premier can do (all the things you need it to) and it is user friendly. They just came out with version 9.0 its pretty good, Yet if you want to spent the 500 dollars and get professional type software, premier is the way to go.

I have an ati all in wonder card. I love it, didn't get to tape the games on it last year because i was in hawaii for 4 months of the season. I have all on tape and plan to capture and edit. I would suggest using Shrink DVD to try to make them fit after you have burn an iso file.

Guest BengalBacker

[quote name='steggyD' date='Jun 25 2005, 03:55 PM']Buy software? What's that mean?
[right][post="107246"][/post][/right][/quote]

:D

:ninja:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mongoloido
[quote name='GoBengals' date='Jul 10 2005, 08:21 PM']i can vouche for his capture.. great quality...
[right][post="112958"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

that's on the pretty crappy recording quality too! There are 4 recording settings above that quality as well as a bunch of other bells and whistles I had turned off. So far, I like the usb card and the software that came with it. I seem to be picking up a touch of a dark stripe that scrolls up the screen when I import video. Gonna start messing around with better cables, different usb slots, putting equipment on different grounded power strips, etc... I feel confident I can clear that little annoyance up. I haven't noticed any difficulties in installation or anything either. It was cake and took about 2 minutes to install. Just had to plug an antenna into the thing, insert the install cd, and follow a couple steps.

Archived