Zimmer to Bengals' defense: 'Do it right every time'

[b] Doc: Zimmer to Bengals' defense: 'Do it right every time'[/b]

[b] But demanding defensive coordinator is in it for his players[/b]

[color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]
The discussion had turned to movies, somehow. I wanted to talk to Mike Zimmer about his players, and to his players about him. The Bengals defensive coordinator has a unit of perceived underachievers. He has them overachieving. Or, maybe, playing the way their talent says they should.[/size][/font][/color][color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]
This isn’t the first time Zimmer has done that. It is the best time, though. If the Bengals win in Houston on Saturday, a reason will be the play of the defense, specifically the front four, which lately has been overwhelming. To borrow a beloved Zimmer term, his guys are “salty.’’
[/size][/font][/color][color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]
Naturally, we talked about movies.[/size][/font][/color][color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]
“Hey!’’ Adam Jones shouted across the locker room on Wednesday. “Who was that dude that played in American Gangster?’’

“Frank Lucas,’’ someone yelled. Denzel Washington played Frank Lucas, a modern-day Godfather who took no prisoners.[/size][/font][/color][color=#2C2C2C][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]
“Remember when Frank Lucas throws the fur coats into the fire?’’ Jones asked me.

“Yeah, vaguely,’’ I said.

“That’s Zim right there. You gonna do it his way, or he’s throwing your fur coat into the fire.’’

I asked Carlos Dunlap the same question: Who plays Mike Zimmer in the movie?

Dunlap is Zimmer’s star pupil, a rough-edged, hardheaded, extra-large talent who arrived here three years ago, with a world of potential and what the scouts call “great measurables.’’ Dunlap was big, strong, quick and fast. He might have been a first-round pick, if he hadn’t had what might be termed “coach-ability issues.’’ As it was, the Bengals stole him in Round 2.

I asked Dunlap the movie question. Domata Peko overheard.

“Freddy Krueger,’’ Peko said.

So, Mike Zimmer is a cross between Frank Lucas, gangster, and Freddy Krueger, unspeakable fictional murderer.

No wonder his players love him.

“I’m demanding, If they want to get lazy, I’m not going to let them,’’ Zimmer said. “Do it right every time.’’

The good coaches have a lot more going for them than plans on a chalkboard. They’re the ones whose credibility gets your confidence, whose genuine-ness earns your trust. Players know Zimmer isn’t in it for Zimmer. Or as Jones put it, “Sometimes, he gets under your skin, but you know he’s in it for you, and we’re in it together.’’

With the exceptions of Peko and Robert Geathers, the core of the defensive line – Dunlap, Geno Atkins and Michael Johnson – has been raised by Mike Zimmer. He went to bat for them in the Draft Room, he has battled with them on the practice field. Or at least has battled with Johnson and Dunlap. Atkins doesn’t need the heavy hand. Zimmer has demanded of them. Players love it when coaches demand. Ask anyone who ever played for Bob Huggins.

Dunlap is 1A in the Zimmer Way manual. “Carlos had to be pushed, confronted, threatened and not let play at times,’’ Zimmer said. “One of us was going to lose the fight, and it wasn’t going to be me.’’

Dunlap’s version: “Two passionate guys doing what they love are going to bump heads every once in awhile. That’s how you get the best out of them. That’s why we’re on the smooth side of things now. He wants it done his way. I do it his way.’’

Dunlap’s time on the field has increased markedly this year, a sign that Freddy Krueger’s message is being received. Ditto Johnson, who Zimmer said “had a reputation (in college) of not finishing plays. He didn’t know what he wasn’t doing. I pointed it out.’’ Johnson has 11.5 sacks.

Of Dunlap and Johnson, Zimmer said, “They’re both smart. They understand you’re trying to help them, (not) ridicule them.’’

Jones says Zimmer saved his career. After he was less than impressive in his first Bengals workout, in April 2010, Zimmer sat Jones down. “You’re going to play like I want you to play, or you’re not going to play,’’ he said. “Get in shape and get your technique down before you come back.’’

Jones had bombed in Dallas. His off-field rep wasn’t helping his cause. Zimmer battled for Jones to get a chance here, then rode him without mercy. “Just like your dad, when you come home with an F on your report card,’’ Jones said.

Jones was grateful. “A lot of places, coaches let you play the way you want,’’ he said. “They’re scared to coach you. I can’t tell you why. But your technique gets bad. You lose everything you’ve learned. I thank Zim for staying on me.’’

Jones has had a solid season at cornerback, and a brilliant one as a punt returner.

“Our defense is a reflection of Zimmer,’’ Dunlap said. Then he decided Liam Neeson would play Mike Zimmer. “The guy in Taken, right?’’

Yes. Retired CIA agent. Goes to Europe, seeking his daughter, who has been kidnapped. Raises some hell. Rescues his daughter. Mike Zimmer? Yeah. You could see the similarities.[/size][/font][/color]

Archived