Rick Reilley's ESPN Article On The NFL and Concussions And their Toll

Bunghole

I just read this on ESPN.com, and my first reaction was "Fuck you, who cares, these guys know the risks and are (nowadays) handsomely compensated."  But I got to thinking about it and now I am not so sure.

Read the article for yourself and decide. Would you let your young son play football after everything that's been coming out about head injuries and the facade that is the NFL supposedly "caring" about it's players? And let's be honest here: it IS a facade. The NFL has been covering up for decades the long term damage these head injuries cause to many (but admittedly not all) former and even current players.

I'm not so certain as to where I stand but I thought it would merit a nice discussion.

Here's the article: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9932209/nfl-becoming-guilty-pleasure

Disagree with the article about Gladiator crap.  NFL isn't a bloodsport.

Yes, I would let my son play football.   Although, I've said even before head injuries that it isn't necessary to play tackle youth football at early ages.   It's a sport that can be picked up later.

Why?  I think people glance over the real issue.   Players are bigger, stronger, faster.   That is due to better performance enhancing drugs, training, and diet.   The $$$$$$ behind these industries has significantly outpaced the investment in the equipment used to protect the players.

That will lessen eventually but at lower levels of football that isn't as much of an issue.   Often some leagues have weight limits and highschool is regulated by age.    NFL should use the lawsuit to push for blood testing and all of sudden players aren't going to be as bigger, stronger, faster in relation to the equipment protecting them.

Eventhough I get annoyed at the calls and disruption of the game over the penalties this message is going to carry below.  Players at the college level that can't tackle without launching themselves will ultimately fall down draft boards IMO.   The result is better tackling drills and techinque will be reemphasized at lower level football.

Then recognition of problems is already underway.   Much like they used to practice a ton of hours out in the heat without very few water breaks.   That practice and belief is gone and emphasis on proper hydration is underway and better ways to condition are known.    Unfortunately it took a couple high profile deaths to bring it about.    

Head scans and history are gong to be as knows as much as knee problems.  At risk players are going to have less an opportunity or going to be harder to continue a career.    Clubs are less likely to invest in players that won't be available to them because of head problems.   Much like they aren't going to invest as much in a player that has reconstructed knees.

Archived