Bengals camp: Three to watch Thursday

At least he's honest about being a homer. They out on the Bengals jersey, they're automatically better than they were before. Lol gotcha

And Cook always sucked, btw. That was trash turned into trash with febreeze sprayed on. I have no faith in Anderson turning a guy who was cheeks in GB into anything worthwhile here.

While it's ignorant to compare Newhouse to Collins now on an even scale, I can see the point being made that they're similar players. Collins is three years older than Newhouse and has been in the league two more seasons. I know Collins had a few ups and downs in his first few appearances in games and wasn't pursued in free agency by any teams really when his rookie deal was up, only returning to Cincinnati when he found the options out there less than ideal. There were plenty of people on this message board that were indifferent to him at that point.
Despite what some Packers fans might think - and really, outside of cowboys and stealers fans, who is consistently more annoying than a packers fan? - Newhouse has several things going for him:
1, going into his 4th NFL season he already 31 starts, including being the starting LT for the 2011 team that went 15-1.
2, he protected Dalton's blind side at TCU. That in itself tells me Dalton signed off on this addition to the roster. No way would they sign this guy without at least getting a quick thumbs up from their franchise QB, get used to it folks, considering Dalton probably knows more about Newhouse than any scout could.
3, a man whose opinion I know a lot of people on this board respect, Dave Lapham, has signed off on the guy as a worthy backup at tackle, which is what we're all hoping he'll ever be asked to be.
4, I've heard he is a good listener and never litters.

Is Collins a better player this year? No question. Was he a better player than Newhouse in year four of his career, very debatable.
Could the Bengals have signed Collins to the deal he got in Tampa and still expect to keep Dalton, Green and Burfict? Probably not.
Collins is 28 and in the prime of his career. If the Bengals weren't going to start him now they did the right thing by letting him go and replacing him with a younger player on the rise.

Eh. Well its of my opinion the smart move would have been to keep Whit inside and start Collins. That money he got isn't outrageous for a starting LT. Now we have to play the wait and see game with Whit again. Hindsight is 20/20, but I never liked letting him go in the first place. We'll see. I don't want to have to bank on some guy the Packers let go, regardless of where he played in college or who he played with. I understand looking for the best in things, but stuff like protecting Andy in college and the # of starts he mades means nothing to me. College is college. And Kyle Cook started a bunch of times too, and now nobody's even willing to give him a shot at being a back up's back up.

I get your argument and it's a good one. I think Whit's ego is a bit bigger than anybody is letting on though and I suspect the move to let Collins go was just as much about money as it was about the team showing loyalty and support for Whit.
I think you're letting your wounded fantasy GM pride cloud your judgment on Newhouse though.

I get your argument and it's a good one. I think Whit's ego is a bit bigger than anybody is letting on though and I suspect the move to let Collins go was just as much about money as it was about the team showing loyalty and support for Whit.
I think you're letting your wounded fantasy GM pride cloud your judgment on Newhouse though.

LOL. Who do you think I am, man? My wounded fantasy GM pride? LUL. I'm just expressing my opinions, dude. Why does it have to be more than that? I'll be the first to tell you I know nothing about him besides that he got released from a Packers team that doesn't exactly have the best o-line in football. I'm just not eager to rely on the guy if/when Whit goes down. All I'm saying. It really, truly doesn't have to be more than that. Sorry if I take a bit of a pessimistic stance on it, rather than coming up reasons as to why he should be able to fill Collins' role. That doesn't make sense to me. At this point he's just a body. If he proves to be more than that, sure. But he didnt prove that there, so I'm not too sure he can here under Alexander.

It's understandable that somebody would be concerned about Whit's health but from my recollection I don't know too many teams that would move an all pro LT to LG in deference of an inferior replacement at tackle, which as much as he's improved Collins is not better than Whit. Not to mention we're getting the regular starter at LG back and it's a player the team really likes. Whit's injury history is something that can't be ignored, but that doesn't mean you go out and get a starter to back him up, the business side of the league just won't allow it.
Had both AC and Whit been up for contracts at years end, now you've got an interesting dilemma on who to choose, but they weren't.
I think the Bengals did the right thing based on the bottom line and team morale.
If you force Whit to accept a position change, something he's said he doesn't want, you risk one of your stalwart leaders becoming malcontent. If you pick a late bloomer over a guy whose done nothing but put up since stepping in the building, you send a bad message to the players and risk creating a rift between the vets and management.
The only way the Bengals were going to get AC back was if he took less to stay, which I can never blame a player for taking the best offer.

It's understandable that somebody would be concerned about Whit's health but from my recollection I don't know too many teams that would move am all pro LT to LG in deference of an inferior replacement at tackle, which as much as he's improved Collins is not better than Whit. Not to mention we're ferrying the regular starter at LG back and it's a player the team really likes. Whit's injury history is something that can't be ignored, but that doesn't mean you go out and get a starter to back him up, the business side of the league just won't allow it.
Had both AC and Whit been up for contracts at years end, now you've got an interesting dilemma on who to choose, but they weren't.
I think the Bengals did the right thing based on the bottom line and team morale.
If you force Whit to accept a position change, something he's said he doesn't want, you risk one of your stalwart leaders becoming malcontent. If you pick a late bloomer over a guy whose done nothing but put up since stepping in the building, you send a bad message to the players and risk creating a rift between the vets and management.
The only way the Bengals were going to get AC back was if he took less to stay, which I can never blame a player for taking the best offer.

Point taken. You're probably right.

I still want Collins back. :(

Andddddd there's the post deletion. Good call.

And face to face, I'd be respectful, but I'm not exactly a little man. I don't see how "brotha" could even slightly be taken the wrong way but I'd probably just laugh if you took offense to it in public lol.

I'm willing to give him a chance, I guess. Like I'm willing to give everyone currently on the roster a chance. Well, except for BJGE.

Andddddd there's the post deletion. Good call.

And face to face, I'd be respectful, but I'm not exactly a little man. I don't see how "brotha" could even slightly be taken the wrong way but I'd probably just laugh if you took offense to it in public lol.

I'm willing to give him a chance, I guess. Like I'm willing to give everyone currently on the roster a chance. Well, except for BJGE.

I deleted it because I knew you'd take it the wrong way, which you seem to have. Brotha and the use of other seemingly affectionate nicknames during a debate or disagreement comes off as condescending and is something that I doubt you'd do with a stranger you were standing face to face with, unless you were looking to escalate the situation. However, based on your interactions on this board, maybe that is how you deal with people day to day. Either way, it's not something I would allow if we were talking face to face.

I deleted it because I knew you'd take it the wrong way, which you seem to have. Brotha and the use of other seemingly affectionate nicknames during a debate or disagreement comes off as condescending and is something that I doubt you'd do with a stranger you were standing face to face with, unless you were looking to escalate the situation. However, based on your interactions on this board, maybe that is how you deal with people day to day. Either way, it's not something I would allow if we were talking face to face.

I don't know any other way I was supposed to take it, especially with the way you overreacted to my use of the word "brotha" like I said "fucker" instead. Literally just used it the same way I would use the word "man" or "dude", except I used THAT literally in an attempt to deescalate the situation. Literally the exact opposite of what you thought I was doing. But you thought I was being a smart ass. Oh well.

Either way, I'd say it to you face to face, and you'd allow it, because the way I'd say it you'd be like, "LOL why am I getting mad at this dude who's just trying to have a normal conversation".

But NOW I'm real curious how you wouldn't allow it, though. Really wanna know how you'd stop me from saying it face to face, since you keep repeating that shit. Everyone's a big tough guy on the internet.

Last year, Newhouse was moved to RT and was beaten out by an undrafted player in his 2nd year (Don Barclay). When GB's starting LT was lost for the season, the team elected to start a rookie rather than move Newhouse back. The Packers then did not offer him a contract as a free agent. It doesn't speak very well for their belief in his abilities. Maybe he is a hidden gem and the Bengals next great reclamation project, but forgive me if I am skeptical that we might have a major problem if Whit can't get/stay healthy.

Last year, Newhouse was moved to RT and was beaten out by an undrafted player in his 2nd year (Don Barclay). When GB's starting LT was lost for the season, the team elected to start a rookie rather than move Newhouse back. The Packers then did not offer him a contract as a free agent. It doesn't speak very well for their belief in his abilities. Maybe he is a hidden gem and the Bengals next great reclamation project, but forgive me if I am skeptical that we might have a major problem if Whit can't get/stay healthy.

I mean, right. Its okay to be optimistic, but a little realism needs to be thrown in there too. Itd be huge if he was able to step in and be a solid back-up though. Give a few minuts here or there if a guy gets knicked and needs a few plays off. Hopefully we don't end up needing more than that. I don't think our depth at o-line looks that great as of right now, does it?

Archived