Grading Bengals 2018 Draft

Grading Bengals 2018 Draft

By MarcoD77 on Apr 28, 2018, 8:16pm EDT 8 

92786_h_0.0.jpg

Round 1: C, Billy Price ~ A-

In the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select C, Billy Price.

After finally letting go of Russell Bodine, the Bengals now have their replacement in Billy Price. Price was at one point considered the top C in the draft, but he later started to fall after he suffered an injury at the NFL Combine. After the Detroit Lions selected Frank Ragnow, the Bengals decided not to wait, and selected their C. Price is a great leader and also has good strength, which are both things the Bengals covet. He is a solid pass protector and run blocker. As well, he is versatile, as he can play both C and G. This is something the Bengals tend to look for in their offensive linemen.

Although he is a good player, he does have some improvements to make, with one of his main issues being his footwork. Improving his footwork will help him against more athletic pass rushers, which he sometimes struggled against in college. Another issue was his torn pec, which he suffered at the Combine. It is expected that he will be ready for week 1, and maybe even training camp, but considering that the last two first round picks missed their rookie year, there is reason to be a little nervous.

Overall, I'm fine with the pick. However, I think we could have gotten a good C later, like Mason Cole, and maybe even Price could have fallen to the second round. Better players like Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, and Connor Williams, to name a few, were still on the board at 21, and would have been a smarter choice, in my opinion. But with that being said, I think Price will be a very good player, and C was a huge need. That is why I give this pick an A-.

35546123001_5777869577001_5777867042001-vs.0.jpg

Round 2: S, Jessie Bates III ~ A

In the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select S, Jessie Bates III.

With Teryl Austin being hired as the defensive coordinator, it soon became clear that the Bengals wanted to play more three safety sets. They get their third guy in Bates. Unlike George Iloka and Shawn Williams, Jessie Bates is more of a ball hawk, and is really good in coverage. He should improve our defense's ability to cove TE's.

While Bates is a willing tackler, he does need to improve his tackling, and one way he can do that is by taking better angles. The Bengals traded down from 46, where they could have gotten Connor Williams to improve their offensive line even more, but with that being said, Bates is a good pick as well.

Overall, I like this pick. I didn't know a whole lot about him, but he's one of those guys who you start to like more and more. Some people may question the decision to take him over Justin Reid, but it is said that Bates is the best true FS in the draft. As a Bengals fan, it also doesn't hurt that he is compared to former Bengals S, Reggie Nelson. I give this pick an A.

Round 3: DE, Sam Hubbard ~ B-

In the third round of the 2018 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select DE, Sam Hubbard.

Hubbard is a pretty good pass rusher and run stopper, and will likely play as a rotational lineman early on next year. He has a very high motor, and will rarely be out worked on the field. His football IQ is also very high, and he is able to put himself in a good position to make plays. This is likely a replacement for Chris Smith.

While Hubbard is solid, he isn't spectacular, and won't wow you. He will likely put up solid stats, but nothing amazing. As a pass rusher, Hubbard needs to develop some moves, as he tended to try to bend around tackles in college, but might not be as successful doing this in the NFL.

Overall, I'm not a big fan of this pick, as I would have liked to further solidify the offensive line with someone like Orlando Brown or Mason Cole. I am hoping that with Hubbard being drafted, it leads to Michael Johnson getting released. This pick gets a B-.

Round 3b: LB, Malik Jefferson ~ A

With their second third round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select LB, Malik Jefferson.

The biggest thing that will attract people to Jefferson is his athleticism. But unlike other guys, like Jerome Baker, Jefferson is built like a linebacker at 6'2", 236 lbs. Jefferson has sideline to sideline ability and is also very good in coverage (7 passes defended), especially man to man. He also has the strength to re-route TE's off the snap. Under a new defensive coordinator, Jefferson went from 60 tackles to 104, the next year. Coming into the draft, I thought someone might reach for him in the second round, but the Bengals ended up getting him right at the perfect spot, and his upside makes this a great pick.

The biggest knock against Jefferson are his football instincts. He sometimes has to think, which makes him late to react. His performance was a lot better when he was put in a position where didn't have to think as much, and where he could just play.

Overall, I really like this pick. We got him right where he should have gone. Jefferson has massive upside, and may prove to be a steal in the third round. I give this pick an A.

Db4j5RtX0AEUWxY.0.jpg

Round 4: RB, Mark Walton ~ D-

In the fourth round of the 2018 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select RB, Mark Walton.

Walton is a lot like Giovani Bernard. He is good catching out of the backfield, and is an underrated downhill runner. Walton rarely fumbles, and is good in pass protection. He also has the ability to make something out of nothing, when his blocking isn't very good.

One weakness is that he can sometimes dance in the backfield, and can be indecisive as a down hill runner. (Makes me think of Jeremy Hill). He also isn't the biggest back, so strength can sometimes be an issue. This pick doesn't make much sense, because the Bengals seemed set at RB with Mixon and Bernard set to have a big role in the offense, and Brian Hill, Tra Carson, and Jarveon Williams left to fight for the last spot or two.

Overall, I hate this pick. I would have taken a chance on a guy with lots of talent, like Maurice Hurst, or an offensive lineman. Running back was arguably the position that we needed the least. This pick gets a D-.

Db48-IZXUAInFaK.0.jpg

Round 5: CB, Davontae Harris ~ C-

In the fifth round of the 2018 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select CB, Davontae Harris.

Harris is a project, but has good upside as a nickel CB, who can play outside if needed. He is also versatile enough to play safety. He has good ball skills, and is good against the run. He also has good size and speed.

Harris is very tight hipped, and he is plays slower than he tested at the combine. Sometimes can start grabbing if he thinks he is beat deep, which can lead to penalties.

Overall, I think this pick is ok, but there were better guys on the board. Tyrell Crosby is a starting RT, who fell because of concussion issues. I thought he was worth the risk in the fifth round. I also like CB, Parry Nickerson, better than Harris. I give this pick a C-.

Db5Ba-_X4AE5t2H.0.jpg

Round 5b: DT, Andrew Brown ~ B

With their second fifth round pick, the Cincinnati Bengals select DT, Andrew Brown.

This is actually a very underrated pick. Brown has a high motor and is good against the run. He also has good size and the ability to play DE in a pinch.

Brown isn't a great pass rusher. He does, however, have potential to improve because of his athleticism.

Overall, I don't mind this pick. Our run defense was a problem last year, and Brown can help improve that. This pick gets a B.

Db5JS1LWkAArfx9.0.jpg

Round 5c: CB, Darius Phillips ~ B-

With their third fifth round pick, the Cincinnati Bengals select CB, Darius Phillips.

Phillips might have been a bit of a reach, but he is a ball hawk, as a former WR. He is a good athlete and is pretty good in coverage. He also has experience as a kick returner, and returned five kicks for touchdowns.

Phillips is still a little raw, and will only be a nickel corner. He also doesn't offer much run support, and was described as "soft against the run" by Lance Zierlein.

Overall, I don't mind this pick. I'm not that happy that we took two CB's, but I like this guy better than the other one. It gets a B-.

Db51lNOWsAANd3R.0.jpg

Round 7: QB, Logan Woodside ~ A

In the seventh round of the 2018 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select QB, Logan Woodside.

In this round, I was hoping for either Kurt Benkert or Logan Woodside, and I got my wish. Woodside, is someone who I first noticed at the Scouting Combine, and I have liked him ever since. He has great accuracy and pretty good mobility and awareness in the pocket.

He doesn't have the strongest arm, but he is able to make up for it with his accuracy. There are also some concerns about his size.

Overall, I really like this pick. Woodside has the potential to be a good backup, and even a starter, with the right coaching.

Db53X6rWAAASvpS.0.jpg

Round 7b: G, Rod Taylor ~ B

With their second seventh round pick, the Cincinnati Bengals select G, Rod Taylor.

Taylor is versatile, and can play both G and OT, which is something the Bengals like. He is strong and also pretty athletic, with good movement skills.

Lots of his issues have to do with off the field concerns. He is described as "not a self motivator" and teammates have mentioned maturity issues. He also isn't great against the bull rush.

Overall, I don't mind this pick. I would have preferred Harrison or Piniero, but I'm happy we got an offensive lineman. This pick gets a B.

Db53nQPWAAAORmV.0.jpg

Round 7c: WR, Auden Tate ~ C

With their third pick in the seventh round, the Cincinnati Bengals select WR, Auden Tate.

Tate has nice size, and is able to go up and get jump balls. This especially makes him a good target in the redzone. Lance Zierlein had him rated as a fourth or fifth round prospect, so it looks like we got good value.

Tate doesn't have great athleticism, which may make it harder for him to get playing time. His lack of ability to crate separation may limit him to the slot in the NFL.

Overall, I'm pretty neutral about this pick. Would have preferred a different position, but he seems like a value pick in the seventh round, so I'm not super mad. Still, I wish we took Eddy Piniero here.

Conclusion: B-

I'm not sure why the Walton pick would get a D.  The team needed a RB and needed to upgrade what was a very piss poor STs unit last year.  He provides both and is a very high upside pick. If Walton played the full 2017 season he's likely a 2nd round pick and instead fell...you gotta jump on guys like that.

I heard Tyrell Crosby was removed from the teams board for medicals. There is a reason he kept falling. I'm glad they didn't take him. This draft had 2 tackles worth drafting.

Archived