Bengals receiver Trenton Irwin helped a Kentucky college student earn her driver's license

Jon Hoefling, USA TODAY
Tue, Oct 17, 2023, 5:03 PM CDT·3 min read

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Trenton Irwin dives for a pass against the Arizona Cardinals in the second half at State Farm Stadium.

Cincinnati Bengals receiver Trenton Irwin has played in a Super Bowl, graduated from Stanford with a degree in science, and is apparently one of the nicest guys on planet Earth as well. According to WLWT reporter Charlie Clifford, Irwin has also spent much of his time teaching a Northern Kentucky University student how to drive and earn her driver's license.

Just two weeks removed from arguably the best game of his career, setting new career-highs in receptions (8) and yards (60), and despite helping his team to a big victory over Arizona, the former undrafted free agent is making headlines for how he has helped Northern Kentucky University sophomore Bry Hall.

How did Hall and Irwin meet?

The pair met through a program called "Saturday Hoops," a Cincinnati-based organization that aims to help kids from the area by providing an area for athletics and arts free of charge. Their initial meeting was years ago, and the pair have stayed close since. Even as Hall started attending college, the pair would open up to one another about issues they were facing in their lives.

Stunned by an offer

During Hall's freshman year at NKU, Irwin recalled a moment when Hall expressed her desire to earn her driver's license. "She didn't have a vehicle and didn't have an outlet to go get some driving hours in," Irwin told WLWT. "She wanted to take her driver's test because she wanted to go work."

Irwin offered his help to earn her license, and Hall was stunned by the offer. "People don't really do that," she said. Once a week following Bengals' offseason workouts, Irwin would go straight from practice to help Hall alongside another representative from "Saturday Hoops."

The lessons were immersive. Irwin took Hall to parking lots, sections of open pavements, and even go-kart tracks in order to get Hall the necessary hours required for her to take the Ohio state driver's test.

Irwin even lent Hall his personal car for these sessions. "We would use Trent's car, and it was like, 'Wow!', he trusts me with his car,'" mused Hall. "I am not going to lie, I was scared because at the start I said to him, ‘Which one is the driving pedal, and which one is the braking pedal?'" Irwin was more than willing to put in the work. "I felt like a parent, holding the handle, stepping on the brake that doesn't exist."

Driving success

After hours of practice and helping Hall gain some confidence behind the wheel, Hall took the driver's test in June. She passed.

Irwin was arguably more excited than her. Irwin expressed immense pride in Hall's success. "It is huge," he told WLWT. "At the end of the day, it's about opportunity."

Hall never had the opportunity to work or help her community without the ability to get from place to place. Not only does she have that freedom now, but she clearly has a phenomenal friend to help ensure she earns every opportunity she deserves.

Kudos to you, Trenton Irwin!

https://sports.yahoo.com/bengals-receiver-trenton-irwin-helped-220311281.html