SS Darnell Bing

Guest Bengal_Smoov

Guest Bengal_Smoov
I think Bing would be a great first round pick as he is a future star at SS.

[img]http://www.nflsmackdown.com/images/bing.jpg[/img]

[quote]2005: Thorpe Award and All-American candidate Bing, the veteran of USC's defense, will start for his third season at strong safety as a junior in 2005. He is on the 2005 Lott Trophy and Bednarik Award watch lists. He had surgery to repair a dislocating shoulder prior to 2005 spring practice and missed spring drills.

2004: Bing started for his second season at strong safety as a sophomore in 2004 and made an impact. Overall in 2004 while appearing in 12 games, he had 63 tackles (third on USC), including 8 for losses of 22 yards (with 0.5 sack for 5 yards), plus 7 deflections, 2 forced fumbles and 2 interceptions that he returned 8 yards (4.0 avg.). He had 10 tackles versus Oklahoma, 7 against Virginia Tech, 6 versus Stanford (with a forced fumble and deflection), Arizona State and Arizona (with 2.5 for losses), 5 against Washington State (with 1.5 for losses and 2 deflections), Oregon State (with a forced fumble and deflection), Notre Dame and UCLA, and 4 at BYU. His interceptions came at BYU (8 yards) and Washington State. He sprained his shoulder in 2004 fall camp (he did not start the Colorado State or BYU games because of that) and then again prior to the California game, which sidelined him for that contest. He made the 2004 All-Pac-10 second team and the Collegefootballnews.com Sophomore All-American first team.

2003: After enrolling at USC in the spring of 2003, Bing emerged as the starting strong safety as a first-year freshman in 2003. Overall in 2003 while starting all 13 games, he had 69 tackles (fourth on USC), including 2 for losses of 3 yards, plus a fumble recovery, 2 interceptions that he returned 34 yards (17.0 avg.) and 5 deflections. He made the 2003 The Sporting News, Scripps/Football Writers Association of America Freshman All-American first team, Collegefootballnews.com and Rivals.com Freshman All-American first teams and All-Pac-10 honorable mention squad, as well as being named to the 2003 The Sporting News Pac-10 All-Freshman first team (and he was Defensive Freshman of the Year). He had 11 tackles at Notre Dame, 9 versus California and Michigan, 6 against Arizona State and Oregon State, 5 versus Washington State and 4 against Auburn (in his Trojan debut), Hawaii and UCLA. At Auburn, he had an interception to set up USC's opening touchdown and then a fumble recovery to set up a field goal. He also intercepted a pass against Washington State, which he returned 29 yards out of the end zone.

2002: He originally signed with USC in 2002, but did not qualify for admission, so he attended Long Beach (Calif.) City College in 2002 as a part-time student (he didn't play football there).

HIGH SCHOOL: He was a 2001 Parade All-American, Super Prep All-American, Prep Star All-American, Tom Lemming All-American, Max Emfinger All-American, USA Today All-USA second team, Super Prep Elite 50, Prep Star Dream Team, Super Prep All-Farwest, Prep Star All-Western Region, Long Beach Press-Telegram Best in the West first team, Tacoma News Tribune Western 100, Orange County Register Fab 15 first team, Las Vegas Sun Super 11 first team, Cal-Hi Sports All-State first team, All-CIF Southern Section first team, All-CIF Division I first team, Los Angeles Times All-Southeast/South Coast first team and Long Beach Press-Telegram Dream Team first team honoree as a senior at Poly High in Long Beach (Calif.). He had 86 tackles (34 solo), with a sack, plus 5 interceptions, 2 fumble recoveries, a forced fumble and 5 deflections in 2001 as a safety and ran for 256 yards on 20 carries (12.8 avg.) with 5 TDs on offense.

As a junior in 2000, he made the Cal-Hi Sports All-State Underclass first team and Long Beach Press-Telegram Dream Team second team while notching 62 tackles (37 solo), 2 interceptions, 3 fumble recoveries, 2 forced fumbles, 3 deflections and scoring 3 times on defense despite missing part of the year with injuries.

He had 85 tackles and 10 deflections as a 1999 sophomore. He was a 3-year starter as Poly went 39-1-1 and won 3 CIF Division I titles.

He also was on Poly's track team as a sprinter (with bests of 10.6 in the 100 meters and 21.8 in the 200 meters), long jumper and triple jumper. Current Trojans Hershel Dennis and Winston Justice also prepped at Poly.

PERSONAL: He's a public policy, management and planning major at USC. He received permission from USC athletic director Mike Garrett (Troy's 1965 Heisman Trophy-winning tailback) to wear Garrett's retired No. 20 jersey.

DARNELL BING ON:

The pressure of succeeding All-American Troy Polamalu and wearing Mike Garrett's retired No. 20 jersey:
"I'm just trying to play to the best of my ability. I know what Mike Garrett meant to this program. I know that Troy Polamalu was the man here. Yeah, there's some pressure. But I just go out and play. So, I don't worry about the pressure...I just have to show I'm worthy of wearing No. 20. Mr. Garrett said that if I don't do it, he'll take it back."

How he came to wear No. 20:
"When I was being recruited by USC, Coach Carroll asked what number I wanted to wear. I said, '20.' They asked me if I wanted to wear another number. I said, 'No.' Then they said it was retired. I was like, 'I didn't know it was retired.'"

WHAT OTHERS SAY:

USC head coach Pete Carroll:
"He's such a natural athlete. He's able to come up with the right decision and how to make his plays when the time comes. That's what allowed him to look so good so early and make a spot for himself...In practice, there have been a lot of balls that are tipped around and deflected, and he comes up with them. He has great hands. He's extremely quick and strong, so when he gets in there, he can fight his way to the football...He's got a golden horseshoe in his back pocket. Sometimes there are safeties who are like that."

USC athletic director and former Heisman Trophy tailback Mike Garrett:
"Pete Carroll came to me and said, 'You've got to give up your number.' I said, 'Really.' I said if Bing's that good, let him have it. But if he's not, I want my number back and retired. He sure looks good[/quote]

Guest fredtoast
The only USC games that I watched their defense sucked (N.D., Fresno St., Texas). Bing did have a couple of big ints against Fresno State, but he was also part of the defense that made the Fresno St. QB look like Steve Young.

Every game that I saw the opponents passed at will against them and rolled up big yardage numbers, so i'm not too impressed with Bing.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='fredtoast' post='227250' date='Mar 7 2006, 02:59 PM']The only USC games that I watched their defense sucked (N.D., Fresno St., Texas). Bing did have a couple of big ints against Fresno State, but he was also part of the defense that made the Fresno St. QB look like Steve Young.

Every game that I saw the opponents passed at will against them and rolled up big yardage numbers, so i'm not too impressed with Bing.[/quote]

The secondary of Artrell Hawkins, Madieu Williams, Ohalete, and Greg Brooks would get toasted a lot too, but that's not necessarily Madieu's fault.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='227255' date='Mar 7 2006, 03:23 PM'][quote name='fredtoast' post='227250' date='Mar 7 2006, 02:59 PM']
The only USC games that I watched their defense sucked (N.D., Fresno St., Texas). Bing did have a couple of big ints against Fresno State, but he was also part of the defense that made the Fresno St. QB look like Steve Young.

Every game that I saw the opponents passed at will against them and rolled up big yardage numbers, so i'm not too impressed with Bing.[/quote]

The secondary of Artrell Hawkins, Madieu Williams, Ohalete, and Greg Brooks would get toasted a lot too, but that's not necessarily Madieu's fault.
[/quote]

:o

I think I can one up you there...how about Madieu, Hawkins, Oh-I-Hate-Thee, and ROD JONES...even Gus Frerotte would pass for 400 yards on that one (LEFT HANDED!)...there would be nothing Madieu could do with those guys

Guest Bengal_Smoov
Bing is well rounded in run support and pass coverage. He is a good athlete who can make plays all over the field, I hope we draft him and team him up with Madieu for years to come.

Guest fredtoast

[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' post='227258' date='Mar 7 2006, 03:37 PM'][quote name='Bengals1181' post='227255' date='Mar 7 2006, 03:23 PM']
[quote name='fredtoast' post='227250' date='Mar 7 2006, 02:59 PM']

[/quote]

:o

I think I can one up you there...how about Madieu, Hawkins, Oh-I-Hate-Thee, and ROD JONES...even Gus Frerotte would pass for 400 yards on that one (LEFT HANDED!)...there would be nothing Madieu could do with those guys
[/quote]

Okay, you got me. I didn't analyze the game films close enough to determin how much of the problem was Bings fault, but he certainly didn't stand out as a playmaker except for the Fresno St game. If he really can cover then he will be a first rounder for sure. It should be pretty easy for our staff to determin this by looking at some game tapes.

Guest BadassBengal

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='227255' date='Mar 7 2006, 03:23 PM'][quote name='fredtoast' post='227250' date='Mar 7 2006, 02:59 PM']

[/quote]

:lol:

I like that. I agree.

[quote name='TheWretchedMass' post='227640' date='Mar 8 2006, 08:49 AM']Darnell Bing = VERY low intelligence....Chris Henry smart...

"He originally signed with USC in 2002, but did not qualify for admission"

I would not be surprised if Bing scored relatively low on the wonderlic.[/quote]
you do realize that not qualifying for admission to a certain college has absolutely no bearing on the mans "intelligence" ...dont you?

why dont you let him take the test before you start bashing his "intelligence?"

Guest schotzee
[quote name='akiliMVP' post='227663' date='Mar 8 2006, 10:26 AM']I'm very interested in seeing what type of numbers he puts up at the USC pro day. Supposedly the dude is an absolute physical freak, putting up great strength and speed numbers. We shall see April 2nd.[/quote]

Well,Ronnie Lott must have seen something in him to compare Bing to himself.
I'll take Ronnie's opinion in this case over any of the so called draft gurus.

[quote name='schotzee' post='227708' date='Mar 8 2006, 12:02 PM'][quote name='akiliMVP' post='227663' date='Mar 8 2006, 10:26 AM']
I'm very interested in seeing what type of numbers he puts up at the USC pro day. Supposedly the dude is an absolute physical freak, putting up great strength and speed numbers. We shall see April 2nd.[/quote]

[/quote]

Here's a question. Would Lott have said that about Bing if Bing didn't go to USC?

Guest schotzee

[quote name='Jason' post='227709' date='Mar 8 2006, 12:05 PM'][quote name='schotzee' post='227708' date='Mar 8 2006, 12:02 PM']
[quote name='akiliMVP' post='227663' date='Mar 8 2006, 10:26 AM']
I'm very interested in seeing what type of numbers he puts up at the USC pro day. Supposedly the dude is an absolute physical freak, putting up great strength and speed numbers. We shall see April 2nd.[/quote]

[/quote]

Here's a question. Would Lott have said that about Bing if Bing didn't go to USC?
[/quote]

Interesting thought. :unsure: Hmmm.

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='schotzee' post='227719' date='Mar 8 2006, 12:39 PM'][quote name='Jason' post='227709' date='Mar 8 2006, 12:05 PM']
[quote name='schotzee' post='227708' date='Mar 8 2006, 12:02 PM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Probably not because Lott wouldn't have be aware of Bing, but that doesn't take anything away from Lott's comparision. Lott didn't say that about the last 15 safeties to play at USC, so he sees something special in Bing.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' post='227722' date='Mar 8 2006, 12:46 PM'][quote name='schotzee' post='227719' date='Mar 8 2006, 12:39 PM']
[quote name='Jason' post='227709' date='Mar 8 2006, 12:05 PM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Probably not because Lott wouldn't have be aware of Bing, but that doesn't take anything away from Lott's comparision. Lott didn't say that about the last 15 safeties to play at USC, so he sees something special in Bing.
[/quote]

If Bing is really THAT good, Lott would be aware of Bing if he went to Podunk U.

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='Jason' post='227736' date='Mar 8 2006, 01:19 PM'][quote name='Bengal_Smoov' post='227722' date='Mar 8 2006, 12:46 PM']
[quote name='schotzee' post='227719' date='Mar 8 2006, 12:39 PM']
[quote name='Jason' post='227709' date='Mar 8 2006, 12:05 PM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If Bing is really THAT good, Lott would be aware of Bing if he went to Podunk U.
[/quote]

Maybe if Lott paid attention to all of CFB, but I bet you that Lott only pays attention to USC Football, since that is alma mater and all.

Archived